Esound E5 in a form of a DAC
Mar 31, 2007 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Mr.Shadow

500+ Head-Fier
I once auditioned the Esound E5 Sig edition.
I was in love with this CDP, really, for it's price I think he gives a knockout.

The thing is I am not a person of CD's. I stream my music from my PC.

I wonder whether there is a DAC which can bring a similar result/character but as a standalone DAC ?

I have moded my SB3 all the way and I still think the E5 tops it.

Thanks for those who (will) respond.
icon10.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 17
A DAC with CS 439X chip should sound very similar to the E5's. The Zhaolu offers both CS-4398 and AD-1852 . Many people have reported AD-1852 sounds better, including me.
lambda.gif

Nonetheless, the output stage of the Esound E5 has no opamp, i.e. a discrete output.

Threads about Esound E5
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114328

Mar 31, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 17
I think I'll pass on the Zhaolu, I am aiming on higher caliber stuff
wink.gif

basically my eyes have been catched by the Stello DA220MKII, anyone compared it with the E5 ?

Mar 31, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 17
I have the eastsound E5 and also a Zhaolu 2.5C (the cs chip one) which I use as a DAC from my SB3. I bought the Zhaolu in the hope that the 2.5C would sound similar to the E5. I ended up replacing the op amps in the Zhaolu to LM4652, and yes, it does indeed sound very similar to the E5. I know that you might be aiming higher than the Zhaolu, but I really think it sounds very similar (providing of course you are running from high quality files >320kbps).

I have hardly turned on my E5 since I got it.

Rest of system as a reference of where I'm coming from: Audio innovations valve amp>Quad ESL57. Vinyl: Ariston RD80/Denon DL110/VSPS phono stage.

Any Q's just ask,

Fran

Apr 1, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'll pass on the Zhaolu, I am aiming on higher caliber stuff
wink.gif

How about a modded Zhaolu with a discrete output stage ?

orizhaolurx1500os4.jpg

We had a shootout between Ori Modded Zhaolu D-2.0A v.s. Micro Seiki RX-1500 last month. The Seiki was armed with SME 309 tonearm paired with the Koetsu Rosewood cartridge and Klyne. The sonics from both players are really comparable while the Zhaolu's has no pops and clicks.

I don't think the stock Esound E5 would even sound close to the Seiki
icon10.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 17
Iron_Dreamer,
I haven't heard the DAC-1 so I can't comment compare to the E5.
My impressions with the W5K and the E5 were superb, you should try.
How is the Stello compared to the DAC 1 ?

bordins,
I honestly don't want to deal with the Zhaolu, there is too much hype around it and it is made with poor quality like parts, finish, etc.

Apr 1, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 17
Omer,

I have recently acquired both the E5 and the DAC1. Personally, I prefer the E5 to the DAC1 right now for my stat rig. I tried using the E5 as a transport for the DAC1, but still prefer the E5 straight to my amp. They are very similar as I had trouble at first picking up the differences. One of the main differences that stands out between the two is that the dac1 is a little more harsh at the top end to me. I think a nice tube amp might be able to settle it down. =)

The DAC1 is a great DAC, far better than any i've heard before (though I haven't heard many) and sounds great as part of my computer rig, but to my ears, my E5 rig sounds better.

Hope this helps a little.

Apr 1, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

bordins,
I honestly don't want to deal with the Zhaolu, there is too much hype around it and it is made with poor quality like parts, finish, etc.

Mr.Shadow,

I went to HK to audition and get a Zhaolu myself, then sold out my Marant SA-11S1. The quality is not poor as a couple persons have reported some bad finish. My friend's 4-yr-old Mark Levinson amplifier was simply dead a few months ago. My unit has been shipped across the continient four times already and still rocks.

It is not a hype, just try it yourself.
eggosmile.gif
Trust your ears ! Good luck for the search.

Apr 2, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Iron_Dreamer,
I haven't heard the DAC-1 so I can't comment compare to the E5.
My impressions with the W5K and the E5 were superb, you should try.
How is the Stello compared to the DAC 1 ?

I've not had the Stello and DAC1 at the same time. But I have compared both directly with the Lavry DA10. As such, I'd indirectly say the DA220 has a deeper and taller soundstage, weightier upper-bass/lower mids, and slightly smoother high end than the DAC1.

Apr 2, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 17
If you like the sound of the Esound then do find something to compare and dont listen to others who haven't even listened to it long enough. I have the Esound myself and this player needs good amps speakers and cables and the best will come out of it.

You could try the Behringer products, very cheap for what you get. See thread "Behringer-SRC2496 - Low price DAC for cd player?" I have the DEQ2496 which i use for room correction as i use speakers mostly and the dac in the DEQ was to me no different, but the room correction put the Esound up another level or two.

Apr 3, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ej82m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Omer,

I have recently acquired both the E5 and the DAC1. Personally, I prefer the E5 to the DAC1 right now for my stat rig. I tried using the E5 as a transport for the DAC1, but still prefer the E5 straight to my amp. They are very similar as I had trouble at first picking up the differences. One of the main differences that stands out between the two is that the dac1 is a little more harsh at the top end to me. I think a nice tube amp might be able to settle it down. =)

The DAC1 is a great DAC, far better than any i've heard before (though I haven't heard many) and sounds great as part of my computer rig, but to my ears, my E5 rig sounds better.

Hope this helps a little.

I don't want to have a harsh sound, the L3000 is very picky, apparently.
Right now I find the SB3 too rough in the high freq, which bothers me.

thanks for help Josh
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've not had the Stello and DAC1 at the same time. But I have compared both directly with the Lavry DA10. As such, I'd indirectly say the DA220 has a deeper and taller soundstage, weightier upper-bass/lower mids, and slightly smoother high end than the DAC1.

Thanks for the comments Peter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimholt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the sound of the Esound then do find something to compare and dont listen to others who haven't even listened to it long enough. I have the Esound myself and this player needs good amps speakers and cables and the best will come out of it.

You could try the Behringer products, very cheap for what you get. See thread "Behringer-SRC2496 - Low price DAC for cd player?" I have the DEQ2496 which i use for room correction as i use speakers mostly and the dac in the DEQ was to me no different, but the room correction put the Esound up another level or two.

I don't know if the Esound needs a good system, an upgraded MPX3 and the ATH-L3000 will be good enough IMO.

I don't think the Behringer is what I need, I only own a headphone system, so room correction is a waste for me.

Thanks anyway.

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #14 of 17
Ok, thanks Jim.
But now, how good as a DAC is he ?

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Ok, thanks Jim.
But now, how good as a DAC is he ?

Well as i said before the DEQ 2496 which i have is similar to the SRC 2496 and i didnt hear a difference when i hooked it up to my Esound and used it as transport. I think they use the same chip but the SRC would be better in the dac compartment because of its upsampling ability. It's ridiculously cheap as well. Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back