ESI
Jul 18, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 11
Julia is better when it comes to sound quality. Maya has a built-in headphone amp, though (there is no headphone jack on Julia, period--you need HP-RCA or HP-XLR adapter). If you have, or planning to have, a headphone amp, go for Julia.

Jul 18, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 11
The Juli@ has better playback quality. BTW you can't use just an adapter with it -- there is no built in amp, at all. You NEED a headphone amp (or speaker amp if you're using speakers) to use it.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW you can't use just an adapter with it -- there is no built in amp, at all.

Juli@ can drive high-impedance cans like Senns, it has enough juice for that. The SQ will probably be nothing to write home about, and max volume may not satisfy everyone, but it can be done.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Juli@ can drive high-impedance cans like Senns, it has enough juice for that. The SQ will probably be nothing to write home about, and max volume may not satisfy everyone, but it can be done.

Ok thats a really bad idea... that the same thing as hooking up a pair of headphones to a line out.

Thats right up there with hooking up a turntable without an RIAA equalization stage
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok thats a really bad idea... that the same thing as hooking up a pair of headphones to a line out.

Thats right up there with hooking up a turntable without an RIAA equalization stage
wink.gif

Not really. The scope of problems that you get from turntable w/o RIAA EQ is far, far greater. As for line out, yes, some line outs can drive headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digit-life
Operational amplifiers JRC 4580 hold well the low impedance load, though the Juli@ specification requires the load impedance of not less than 100 ohm.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...lia/index.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by babypsycho
I'm lost. So basically, if I buy Julia I will need another amp?

You can hold on temporarily with just the Julia, but it won't be an optimal solution. Sooner or later, you want to get an amp.

Alternatively, consider E-MU 0404usb or ESI Maya. BTW, what headphones do you have?

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 11
You need an amp. Senns 595 are 60 ohm and demand a lot of current. Straight out of Julia, I don't think they'll sound good and there is a chance of damaging the card.

Consider E-Mu 0404 usb. Link to a review is in my sig. I think Gatticus is using it with HD 595, search for his impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back