ESI or EMU?
Jan 12, 2006 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dylan_Fan

New Head-Fier
Please help me choose between the ESI Juli@ and EMU 1212M. I have grown
so weary of researching soundcards, but I have at least narrowed the field
to these two cards. I am upgrading from a Turtle Beach Santa
Cruz, which has been fine, but it is time for something better.

From what I have learned, I can’t go wrong with either card. The Juli@ sure looks cool, and I have never seen anything negative written about it. However, the 1212M seems to get the nod as the better of the two. It certainly has a lot more electronics hanging off it, but it may be overkill. It is packed with features that I will never use. This is only going to be for listening to music after all.

My plan is to initially use my headphones (A900s, ER4Ps, and soon - HD650s) directly from the analog out. (I believe that is possible with adaptors?) If that is bad, I can always use the SM3, that I ordered for portable use, which should be arriving soon. Longer term, I want to get a decent DAC, probably a DAC-1, and then a good home amp. (I’m fascinated by the Singlepowers by the way.)

I also have reservations about the EMU needing 2 PCI slots, or is that 1 PCI slot and an adjacent expansion space? I am unclear on this. I will be building a new PC soon, and most new motherboards are sorely lacking in PCI slots. I think the ESI can alternatively be used in a PCI-X slot. Does anyone know if this is true?

I am hoping to get your opinions, and some compelling reasons to get one over the other. Based on the best prices I could find for each, the 1212M costs $40 more, but that is not really an issue. I just want to get the card that will be the best starting point for my proposed sytem. Thank you for your feedback.

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 4
Well I can tell you that I had the 1212m for a week before I recieved my glite and the sound directly out of the card was horrid with my hd-650. It just didnt have the power to drive the 650s. I hate to say it but the sound was even better strait out of my audigy2zs than strait out of the 1212m. After I added the glite I can honestly say that I have never heard anything sound as good as this does with my hd-650s (1212m->G-Lite->HD-650).

I dont regret getting my hd-650s way before my soundcard / amp (due to money constraints) but I will have to say that the wait wasnt easy and if you can avoid waiting to get an amp with the hd-650 you will be much more satisfied.

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 4
I suspect that may have been part of the sound quality issue aside from the lack of power. I was using 1/4 to rca adapters and a 2x rca to 1/4 inch female y adapter. All of these cables were from ratshack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back