ESI Juli@ and EMU 1212m digital out comparison?
Sep 8, 2006 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bcw

New Head-Fier
I want to upgrade my soundcard and are considering either ESI Juli@ or EMU 1212m. I'll be using the digital out (coax) only. I've seen many threads saying the digital output of Juli@ is comparable with Lynx 2 and EMU 1212m is better than many transport. What is the direct comparison of the two in terms of sound quality?

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 14
The Juli@ supports bit perfect output and is very easy to install and operate.

Once a sound card supports bit perfect output the only other difference that impacts quality might be jitter. I don't think I have seen real measured jitter number for these cards digital outputs.

Whether jitter makes any difference to you will have a lot to do with the design of the DAC you are trying to use.

Cheers

Thomas

Sep 8, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks a lot Thomas.

Does that mean the 1212m doesn't support bit-perfect? I'm using Foobar and want to use ASIO. Currently I'm using ART DI/O (slightly modded) and I'm thinking about fully mod the DI/O meanwhile purchase a Zhaolu or DAC-AH (mod or unmod). Zhaolu D2.0 is discountinued and I didn't heard much comments on the new Zhaolu D2.5 so far, and not sure how it will be compared with DAC-AH.

Some people said Zhaolu doesn't sound as warm as DAC-AH. I'm going to get a Zu Ash digital cable. Currently I'm using a pair of handmade interconnects with bare silver wire and Eichmann Silver Bullet RCA plugs. By adding either Juli@ or 1212m, I guess I can get pretty clear sound with good details. I'm using a vintage Fisher 600 tube amp. With the clear/detail source and cables and warm tube amp, I can't really decide to go for a Zhaolu or a DAC-AH.

I do like to have a clear sound with details, but I don't want to get a too harsh/cold sound. Any suggestions or comments? Or there are other DAC's I should be considering?

Thanks.

Sep 8, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 14
The 1212m is a great transport. As good as its coax digital output is, on a PC optical is preferred due to electrical noise induced jitter.

Either card will do the job, as will the Chaintech AV710 for transport duties.

Sep 8, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 14
I think I can try both optical and coaxial cables and compare the sound quality. The reason why I want to get a decent coaxial cable is because I also listen to music using a CDP. I heard that coax has less jitter problem than optical, but I'm not sure if it's case for CDP but not PC as the source.

I did notice people talking about AV710, but just wondering if a bit more pricy soundcard like Juli@ or 1212m can have better sound.

Sep 8, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 14
For that rig, the Emu 1212m alone would be an upgrade. The DIO is dated.

I really like the guys at Zu but in digital cables they don't really make a great value product. In toslink, the VDH OptoCoupler II is a great bargain and in coax the Stereovox XV2 is pretty much unmatched at any price.

But if its feeding the DIO, you might just prefer the 1212m straight to your Fisher.

Sep 8, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 14
Can? Probably. Noticable? Wouldn't put money on that pony.

Same goes for toslink on the PC. Its measurably better, but can you hear the added jitter on the coax? Probably not unless its drastic which on the Emu and RME it isn't.

That said, if your CDP has a switching power supply then toslink is again preferrable.

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks Solude.

I didn't play around with my audio equipments for a while and just got back on track this summer. I know the DI/O is out of date. I'm still trying to decide which DAC to buy. Then the next step would be replacing the amp.

I didn't use pc as the source until recently. I do like the easy playback although I didn't upgrade my pc for audiophile purpose. I think the soundcard would be a reasonable starting point.

I read quite many reviews about Zu cable on AudioAsylum and thus want to give it to try. You can get 1 meter Zu Ash on ebay for $150, which is about the same price as Stereovox XV2. I'll definitely check it out, and also the VDH OptoCoupler II. I never tried optical before, but I have a friend using M-Audio Transit connect to pc via usb and to dac via toslink. He recommended me to get the glass toslink on ebay and said it sounds good. I might give optical a try if the soundcard and dac I'll get support both optical and coax.

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 14
The AudioGon/eBay glass toslink cable is quite nice. The VDH is however more reliable and well pretty
wink.gif

My AudioGon Glass has a few broken fibres. Still works but a sign that sometimes you still get what you pay for. The WireWorld SuperNova is another choice its connectors rotate freely so you'll never have to strain the cable by twisting it to fit.

As for DACs I'd definitely add the Stello DA100 to your short list. I have the CDT200/DA220 stack and its just awe inspiring. Currently I'm driving it from my Emu 1212m and using its outputs to power my Senn 650 directly. Even in this less than optimal setup its rediculous. If the DA100 is just the DA220 in single ended form, it's got giant killer written all over it.

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #11 of 14
I was considering the waiting for the DA100 when I figured that it would cost me right at 775$ with shipping. Then I called one of the suppliers for the Lavry DA10 back in Jan and found that I could get it new for 900 with shipping of 15$. Since it had the very highly touted headamp built-in I thought the difference was a no brainer. That is what I ended up with at the time and I am not disappointed that I did.

As you can see in my Sig that I also use the Juli@ into my Lavry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
As for DACs I'd definitely add the Stello DA100 to your short list. I have the CDT200/DA220 stack and its just awe inspiring. Currently I'm driving it from my Emu 1212m and using its outputs to power my Senn 650 directly. Even in this less than optimal setup its rediculous. If the DA100 is just the DA220 in single ended form, it's got giant killer written all over it.

Sep 9, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 14
It's impossible to compare soundcard's digital outputs because of variance of people's computers, digital cables, and DACs. Even if you can notice a difference, it really is small.

Sep 10, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Can? Probably. Noticable? Wouldn't put money on that pony.

Same goes for toslink on the PC. Its measurably better, but can you hear the added jitter on the coax?

What? All the measurements I've seen say that toslink ALWAYS has a higher jitter than coax. About 50-100 ps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back