Esbjörn Svensson RIP
Jun 15, 2008 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

zumaro

500+ Head-Fier
[size=x-small]Sad news from Sweden - jazz pianist Esbjorn Svensson died yesterday after a diving accident, aged only 44. His very popular trio e.s.t. was one of the best in the jazz world today, and he will be greatly missed. [/size]

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 15
Man, what a sadness
frown.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 15
I'm really shocked reading this news. A great loss. My heart goes out to family, friends and EST fans. Rest in peace.

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone tell me what RIP means pls

Rest in Peace.

Svensson was a living legend, and his talents will be sorely and deeply missed.

Jun 17, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 15
I have only one from these guys, Viaticum, great music

Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only good news to come out of this tragedy is that there is a completed album that was due to be released in September.

Jun 17, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 15
Just last year they were at NorthSeaJazzFestival up here in Rotterdam and I couldnt get a ticket
frown.gif
They came for one performence only...lucky people who were there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tohni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have all of their cds. Man, I was looking forward to seeing them perform live; they are (or were
frown.gif
)supposed to be even better then.
Just won't happen. So sad
frown.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #13 of 15
I must confess that I had never heard of him until I learned of his untimely death. I will certainly seek out his recordings. His New York Times obit is here.

How sad that he and his trio were poised for wider recognition in the states at the time of his tragic death. The Times reports that they were scheduled to perform this weekend in NYC as part of the JVC Jazz Festival.

From the Times:

This week the trio — including the drummer Magnus Ostrom and bass player Dan Berglund — had been booked for a Saturday night show at Le Poisson Rouge in Greenwich Village, home of the old Village Gate. “They were looking forward to making an impact in the States,” said Jason Olaine, artistic director of the J.V.C. festival. “They were really trying to make music that was engaging, not trying to take it out of its comfort zone, and to embrace people who wouldn’t necessarily classify themselves as jazz fans. They’re kind of like the Keith Jarrett Trio of Europe.”

Jun 19, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 15
In the Guardian Sam Christie's tribute says it better than I can - why Svennson mattered, and what a loss this is.
"The mix of autobahn and EST was delicious - I had found what I was looking for in jazz. It was jazz, but it was pop and it was dance music. It was sensuous, soulful and funky music, executed with precision and passion but tempered by the self-awareness of competent jazz players honestly stretching the potential of the music. I underline that this music was born out of self-awareness, not self-consciousness; this wasn't an exercise in vanity. This confident group made music that they wanted to listen to and invited us to join them in understanding it. We came in droves."
e.s.t. had almost popular status in Europe, as much as jazz musicians manage these days - they usually charted in the top 20 with their albums (that is the pop charts, not the jazz ones), and could fill concert venues by themselves with a predominantly young fanbase. They had started to make headway in America with the last 3 albums, particularly Viaticum.

Sep 25, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #15 of 15
The current episode of the BBC World Service music program The Beat features a touching interview with the surviving members of EST. They discuss the trio's just-released final album, and remember Esbjorn Svensson. The interview is the first segment, right after the intro.

You can stream the program here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back