ES7s arrived today, need es7 owners and higher end A-T owners in here.
Jun 13, 2007 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Darkestred

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I bought these babies on a review by i think Asr. In any case, i am in shock how good these things sound. I am quickly falling in-love...

I have a pair of AKG 701s for comparison. Right off the bat i could tell there was less detail than what the 701s provide. This didnt bother me as i wasnt expecting a lower-end headphone to outshine the 701s.

Albeit it bright sounding to me, i think vocals and the midrange sound very nice and smooth. The one thing i really like is the tight bass that you know is there, unlike the 701s. Im looking for a next headphone down the road and i know there is an audiocubes store coming to NYC which, if they have similiar stock to what they have online - could easily seal the deal for me instead of taking a $400+ plunge into the unknown based on other's reviews.

Before i get too carried away with this post and more importantly onto my question. For those who have the ES7s and or any A-T phone, what headphones provide this same tight base in the A-T line but has more detail characteristics similiar to the the AKG 701? Price not an issue.

All-in-all i am very pleased and satisfied with these phones. I think they are very engaging vs the 701s and could very well take over normal music duties. A very fun headphone and something i didnt experience with the 701s.

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 15
i don't have the ES7s so i can't say based on experience, but from reading i think the AD2000 would fit the bill nicely

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 15
Although I've never heard the AD2000s, they are praised here for their good bass performance in addition to details in the midrange; they can be a good candidate for your next AT can. Plus, I believe Asr praises highly of them as well
wink.gif

You may also consider the W5000s since you're looking for details similar to the K701. "Details" is one of W5000s' fortes but bass is iffy if you don't have the proper amp/source as it's quite picky with the upstream.

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 15
Interesting... I've always thought the ES7 had rather boomy bass. I do like mine plenty, but I think you have a lot to look forward to when exploring the higher end audio-technica headphones. The ES7 has a nice level of performance, but it does not match (nor should it) the full-sized cans.

The ES7 has a sonic signature most like some of the older woodies, IMHO. It's a thick, warm, romantic sound with very smooth and emphasized midrange. I find it interesting you find them to be bright -- I personally feel their treble is rolled off, but I find that I like bright headphones, so that probably explains it.

I don't really think the ES7 sounds that much like the W5000. The ES7 is a thicker, far less detailed and refined sound. I personally prefer the bass on the W5000 - it's tight and clean. I agree that the right ampage is necessary to bring the W5000 to the level it deserves, but that's true of most headphones. I like listening to the W5000 out of anything that's just about decent. Compared to the W5000, the ES7 has more bass and is more fun though, but like I said, I find the ES7 to have flabby bass.

When I'm back in the area you should come by and try out my ATH-W10VTG, which I find shares some sonic traits with the ES7. I like them both for similar reasons, though the VTG is obviously the better can. You should try a W5000 as well -- it is different from both of these, but if you are looking for more detail like the K 701, this might be what you're looking for. Watch out though, if you like the VTGs but crave more detail, you may be going down the L3000 route.
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the open audio-technica cans so can't comment.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkestred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they are very engaging vs the 701s and could very well take over normal music duties. A very fun headphone and something i didnt experience with the 701s.

x2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't have the ES7s so i can't say based on experience, but from reading i think the AD2000 would fit the bill nicely

x2

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may also consider the W5000s since you're looking for details similar to the K701. "Details" is one of W5000s' fortes but bass is iffy if you don't have the proper amp/source as it's quite picky with the upstream.

x2

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always thought the ES7 had rather boomy bass.

The ES7 has a nice level of performance, but it does not match (nor should it) the full-sized cans.

The ES7 is a thicker, far less detailed and refined sound.

Compared to the W5000, the ES7 has more bass and is more fun though, but like I said, I find the ES7 to have flabby bass.

You should try a W5000 as well -- it is different from both of these, but if you are looking for more detail like the K 701, this might be what you're looking for.

x2... x2... x2...

All seems quiet on the Head-Fi front...

Jun 13, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #6 of 15
Don't have any input on the topic at hand but I researched these headphones after reading this topic and I really like the look of them. Does anyone know how they would compare to my MS-1s?

Jun 13, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #7 of 15
Buy fully modded AKG K340 and forget about the K701 forever
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkestred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Guys,

I bought these babies on a review by i think Asr. In any case, i am in shock how good these things sound. I am quickly falling in-love...

I have a pair of AKG 701s for comparison. Right off the bat i could tell there was less detail than what the 701s provide. This didnt bother me as i wasnt expecting a lower-end headphone to outshine the 701s.

Albeit it bright sounding to me, i think vocals and the midrange sound very nice and smooth. The one thing i really like is the tight bass that you know is there, unlike the 701s. Im looking for a next headphone down the road and i know there is an audiocubes store coming to NYC which, if they have similiar stock to what they have online - could easily seal the deal for me instead of taking a $400+ plunge into the unknown based on other's reviews.

Before i get too carried away with this post and more importantly onto my question. For those who have the ES7s and or any A-T phone, what headphones provide this same tight base in the A-T line but has more detail characteristics similiar to the the AKG 701? Price not an issue.

All-in-all i am very pleased and satisfied with these phones. I think they are very engaging vs the 701s and could very well take over normal music duties. A very fun headphone and something i didnt experience with the 701s.

Jun 13, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #8 of 15
The MS1 is a great-sounding headphone at its price. I consider it one of, if not the best, at the US$100 level.

An open headphone can be unsuitable in many environments, though. A closed headphone might work better in a place with moderate background noise or where sound leakage may bother others, such as a library.

The ES7 isolates reasonably well, though not as well as the HD25-1. This may depend on fit and clamping force. It doesn't leak much sound.

The most apparent difference between the MS1 and ES7 is the MS1's more open and airier sound and the ES7's closed-in and fuller-bodied, bassier sound. Both have a fun-type of sound that are suitable for pop, rock and fast-paced music. I don't think they're as suitable for classical, jazz or piano instrumentals.

I think the MS1 is more refined than the ES7 and has more accuracy and better, more even tonal balance. It has tighter bass and crisper highs. The ES7 has stronger bass impact that is relatively muddy and loose, but this bass quantity contributes to its overall enjoyability. Even with a modest source or unamped, R&B, hip hop and most pop can be fun and engaging with the ES7.

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #9 of 15
I find my ES7 to sound agreeable with everything. Before the ES7, I had fully resolved to purchase a dedicated source, desktop amp, and a pair of higher-end ~$500-600 headphones. My portable-only setup is at about 500 hours right now and I couldn't be happier; the ES7 effectively stymied my plans to upgrade (fortunately, for my limited funds..).

As for the sound signature, I don't find it that boomy. I find the bass has good attack like the ER4 and decent decay; certainly not overly "fat" or overemphasized. It's certainly a lot less boomy than it was (it used to be boomier than my KSC75, now it's a LOT less boomy than the latter). I do agree with the gently rolled off highs, though; strangely enough the upper mids are very present but cymbals often sound lacking.

Tonally they are probably totally off, but they sound good with everything I've thrown at them.

Proof that euphony is sometimes preferable to accuracy. You can get away with a $140 portable if it sounds pleasing instead of a $300 reference can.

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 15
I've got ES-7s and use them when I travel, I use HP-2s and L3000s at home, and find the ES-7s great on the road-They are good fun, just not the most detailed. You should try demo some L3000s-they will blow you away...

Jun 13, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #11 of 15
Damn, alot of temptation and want after reading some of these posts.

Sh0ebox - Yea, that was one on my short-list. Ive seen alot of posts about it. Hoping that damn AC store comes to nyc with glistening stock.

2dead - I am running a Heed canamp and thought the amp handled the ES7s well. Hopefully the canamp has synergy with the A-T line as well. I will be looking for a tube amp down the road if need be, but right now im...aight
smily_headphones1.gif

jjcha - Bright was for lack of a better term. At times my ears are sensitive for a few minutes. Maybe they are more trebbly than the 701s. hard to place the feeling i experience.

I can see where you are coming with the boom. I am coming right from 701s and while they do have bass, its more along the lines of me being in the studio. Sometimes the 701s have too little bass for certain area's of a song that need to be filled out by some bass. The ES7s filled that void. That was what left me disappointed with the 701s.

The cool thing about listening to a phone for awhile is you grow accustomed to the sound signature and forget how "Unrealistic" the music may seem. Atleast, for me this happens. And until i go back to another phone i could careless what im missing or what i may be missing. Infact, im not even thinking about it with different phones. What a horrible hobby...
wink.gif

When i plugged the ES7s in, i was taken back by the increased boom but the more and more i listened the fuller and tighter the bass seemed to become. At times for the music i listen to there is some "boom" but nothing like the boom from a car stereo 2 miles away. The closing factor was these phones adding just enough bass to the kick drum to make it lively (im a drummer) and the handling of frantic double bass without sounding boomy.

I'll have to take you up on that offer. Thanks.

Elephas - your x2s to everything made me chuckle. But insightful on the other posts.

blackmore - I'll keep the 340s on the back burner for now. I need to focus on path right now...but id be interested to hear one of these babies.

ak40 - i agree. I thought they were sorta boring looking. When the box came i was shocked by the size and how beatiful they looked. Pictures always make things look much bigger.

3x0 - I agree with your's and jjcha's assessment about some of the highs rolling off. I also agree the bass is somewhere in the middle of boom and thick. I also agree that the cymbals lack and that the music sounds colored. I believe that is the correct term. I can tell the music would not sound like that in a studio or live or on a cd with proper audio equipment, but who cares, it makes it so much fun.

Jun 13, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #12 of 15
Well, to the OP, I have a ES7 and have been wondering what to get as an upgrade too. After much reading, I thought that the DT990 would be the one for me, but then I've read that the DT990 has sibilance, and that is a BIG NO NO for me.

So I think I'm gonna get a Darth Beyer V3 soon .
wink.gif

I think that's the logical path, its another "fun headphone" with even more bass!
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ES7 has stronger bass impact that is relatively muddy and loose, but this bass quantity contributes to its overall enjoyability. Even with a modest source or unamped, R&B, hip hop and most pop can be fun and engaging with the ES7.

Elephas, are yours ES7 properly burned in? Mine had gobs of bass out of the box, which I could classify as loose and boomy. But interestingly that after 56 straight hours of pink noise burn in it's all gone, they still have *some* bass, definitely more than MS2i I used to have, but nothing extraordinary, and it's barely loose.

Jun 13, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elephas, are yours ES7 properly burned in? Mine had gobs of bass out of the box, which I could classify as loose and boomy. But interestingly that after 56 straight hours of pink noise burn in it's all gone, they still have *some* bass, definitely more than MS2i I used to have, but nothing extraordinary, and it's barely loose.

Agreed. I have about 9 times as much burn-in and the bass has turned from mushy, flingy globules of apple sauce to pleasantly sweet and controlled chopped hazelnuts.

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #15 of 15
thanks for the responses to my offhand questions guys. Will probably hold off for now but I definitely see some smaller closed headphones in my future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back