ES7 vs HD280 Pro??
May 17, 2007 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 276

ricmat

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys!!

Just debating with a friend of mine, and we came into some doubts - is AT ES7 comparable with Senn HD 280Pro?

we just tried to look here for some advices but it seems that you guys dont usually talk about ES7, is it for a particular reason?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 276
i think the general consensus has been that the es7 is closer to the senn 25s than the sj5s and akg k81.

i would probably get it over the 280. actually i definitly would. (ive heard the 280, dont find it enjoyable really for music- great for gaming though).

May 17, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 276
yeah, that's something like what i was thinking about. you think ES7 is more "rounded" for both music and fun, right?

Cheers!

May 17, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 276
They are just vastly different headphones. The HD280 is a fairly neutral monitoring headphone with good but generally not grin-inducing sound, cirumaural earcups, lots of isolation, and a fairly high degree of clamping force. The ES7 is a lightweight portable with very clean, clear sound but a good amount of low bass when called upon, not much isolation, high comfort (except at the top of the head if you're somewhat hair-impaired as I am) and shiny, bling-y supraaural earpads.

In short, aside from being closed dynamic headphones under $150 they haven't much in common.

Amped or unamped (though I am not crazy about either one unamped) I would choose the ES7 over the HD280 for musical enjoyment and for comfort. Honestly I wear the HD280 only when I want a lot of isolation but don't want to wear IEMs for some reason.

The ES7 is often compared to the HD25 because both are in the "higher-quality supraaural portable" category, but not because they sound much alike. The HD25 has a midbass emphasis that the ES7 lacks, while the ES7 has an airier sound and its low bass, IMO, seems to go lower.

May 17, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 276
thanks episiarch

yeah, i see. thay sound rather different HP. But as i was reading i was getting very very interested in ES7.. ..

May 17, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 276
Yeh what he said lol....

i wasnt trying to say they sounded similar to the 25s, just that they were in that quality range. higher end than the k81, i think every review says theyre better.

i had the 280, after blu tak it was decent. bass MONSTER, but not very musical. the fidelity is there, but something is missing. grab the es7s

May 18, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #8 of 276
exactly, thats what i thought!

May 18, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 276
however, someone just told me that for half of the price i could get the ATH-SJ5 that offers also a very good sound, and maybe better ratio price quality...

as i see it right now, at those values i'm not so interested in that ratio, but in quality itself - anyone??

Cheers!

May 18, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 276
Yeah, get the ES7, I recently got mine 3 days after joining Head-Fi and didn't regret it one bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't even been a member here for more than 3 months and I'm already thinking about how the higher end headphones sound like. Go get your ES7 and then listen to how good it is then wonder(just like me) how the other higher end headphones would sound like... Uuuummmm L3000....

Man, Head-Fi is Baaaaaad.... LOL

May 18, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, get the ES7, I recently got mine 3 days after joining Head-Fi and didn't regret it one bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't even been a member here for more than 3 months and I'm already thinking about how the higher end headphones sound like. Go get your ES7 and then listen to how good it is then wonder(just like me) how the other higher end headphones would sound like... Uuuummmm L3000....

Man, Head-Fi is Baaaaaad.... LOL

yeah!... how i understand you! for shure!! head-fi is sooo bad for your wallet, but so so much good for your ears
biggrin.gif

for real, i have a need for different sound
580smile.gif

May 18, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #13 of 276
I got my ES7 a week ago, very pleased so far. I have HD25-1 and HD280 as well, ES7 has more air and is more fun to listen to. If you need to block outside noice though, HD280 is very good (I always wear mine when I'm drilling holes in my brick walls
biggrin.gif
).

May 18, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 276
Really?? smt like that was just the thing i was waiting to hear!

Thanks man! i really NEED air around my music!
biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamprologus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my ES7 a week ago, very pleased so far. I have HD25-1 and HD280 as well, ES7 has more air and is more fun to listen to. If you need to block outside noice though, HD280 is very good (I always wear mine when I'm drilling holes in my brick walls
biggrin.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back