ES7 vs DT770
Jun 19, 2007 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Head-Fier
Hello all,
I've been lurking these forums for some time now. After my first headfi purchase of the K81 dj's im on the prowl once more. The reason for my leaving the k81 is mostly due to the somewhat overwhelming bass and lack of a tonal balance. The AT ES7 and the DT770 have caught my eye (the es7 seems to have a good rep as an upgrade to the k81 and the DT770 if im not mistaken has a reputation for its killer bass). I'm somewhat of a bass-head, (the bass on the k81's is not a huge problem for me) although let it be known that i cant stand muddy and unclear highs.
As of now i don't intend on using an amp, although, considering the ES7 is considerably cheaper (in Aus nearly 2/3s the price) than the DT770, i may consider amping if im to purchase the ES7.
The source will be a 30GB 5th gen Ipod Video with high bitrate mp3's.
I listen to nearly every type of music, besides jazz and classical.
thanks in advance for any opinions on which would be the better purchase.

Jun 19, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 11
If you're looking for tonal balance I don't think the DT770s are the ideal choice.

Jun 19, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 11
depends on which version of the dt770 you would be getting. the 770pro/80 will be difficult to drive from the ipod, wheres the newer 32ohm model would be better suited (and pricier). just something you may not have considered.

Jun 19, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 11
For me the ES7 has nice bass. I feel its pretty tight but you know its there. I have yet to lisetn to these phones with rap/hop but if you're a bass head looking for that subwoofer sound, I dont feel these phones are for you.

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At Beyerdynamic.com you can configure your own design.
Really awesome - check it out.
http://www.beyerdynamic.com/cms/Manu...6.0.html?&L=1#

/Chopha

thanks, just gave it a go. Although i made possibly the most awe-inspiring cans on earth, the cost a lottt more than they do from other online sellers. though the life-time warranty, awesome colours, im very very tempted.

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 11
The ATH-ES7 has LUCID highs. They're not the most extended by any means, but they're very smooth, gentle, and clear. The upper highs are a bit missing, though. I wish my ES7 reproduced a little more presence in the cymbals, but what's there is great. The bass is also very nice; it may seem overpowering at first but it quickly clears up and becomes wonderfully articulate. It's a very exciting can with good things to say about lows, mids, and highs; it has no glaring weaknesses in its sound IMHO. I think it's a very suitable upgrade from the K81DJ.

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ATH-ES7 has LUCID highs. They're not the most extended by any means, but they're very smooth, gentle, and clear. The upper highs are a bit missing, though. I wish my ES7 reproduced a little more presence in the cymbals, but what's there is great. The bass is also very nice; it may seem overpowering at first but it quickly clears up and becomes wonderfully articulate. It's a very exciting can with good things to say about lows, mids, and highs; it has no glaring weaknesses in its sound IMHO. I think it's a very suitable upgrade from the K81DJ.

thanks for the info. im leaning towards the ES7. considering the some ppl find the bass slightly exaggerated i think i might find it quite enjoyable.

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 11
I was actually doing a comparison test between my ES7s and DT770/80s last night. Unamped, my pick for headphone with full bodied CLEAN bass turned out to be the ES7s. Amped, I'd pick the DT770s because that's where they really have enough power to shine. But I definitely recommend the ES7s over the DT770s since they're easily driven with an iPod, sound amazing, and are incredibly sexy phones. They actually get the most ear time over my HF-1s and DT770s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back