ES7 Upgrade for Rock, <$250
Jan 22, 2010 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Kayzo

100+ Head-Fier
I have some ES7's atm, and I'm looking for an upgrade.

I mostly listen to rock / korean music (even though I'm mexican :p) and would like to keep it under $250. I've read about the ESW9's but they are at the top of my budget and the AH-D2000's but seem to be sold out everywhere and apparently they are pretty slow, which isn't the best for rock. I like my bass but like it controlled and tight. They will probably be used from my s:flo2 and will probably not buy an amp anytime soon.

Thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 28
I'm in the same boat (upgrading from ES7's) and rock is one of the genre's of music I very actively listen to so I am interested to see what kind of recommendations you will get.

Concerning the ESW9's, you should check out the For Sale forums, you can find mint ESW9's there for under $200.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 28
I listen to quite a bit of k-pop and I also feel that the es7 is great at it. I've noticed that most AT cans do... Most likely because they probably tuned it for j-pop/k-pop and like. As for upgrades, from my experience both esw9 and shure se530 (if you don't mind IEM's) are great with k-pop. They both do vocals well which is key with this genre IMO.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 28
I was in the same situation as you, actually. And I decided to go the Grado route.
biggrin.gif

Alessandro MS1000i, to be precise. The sound signature isn't too far away from the ES7, but it's an upgrade, nonetheless.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 28
While the ESW9s are fantastic, I definitely reach for my Grados before them with all flavours of rock/metal. To me, the ESW9s are more perfectly suited for trip-hop, electro, etc. Not that they are bad at rock, they are good. But once you've listened to some chunky distorted guitar riffs on a Grado there's no turning back!

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 28
While Grados are great for rock, I personally cannot recommend them (well not all, but most) for K-pop/J-pop. This genre have LOT of peaks in lower treble/upper midrange and Grados, with their typical peak in this area, makes them unbearingly painful to listen to IMO. With my RS1/Flats, it's one of the only genres I skip over because I cannot bear to listen to it with their upper mid peaks (as an example, on songs such as SNSD - Gee, some peaks on female vocals pretty much tears through my eardrums).

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While Grados are great for rock, I personally cannot recommend them (well not all, but most) for K-pop/J-pop. This genre have LOT of peaks in lower treble/upper midrange and Grados, with their typical peak in this area, makes them unbearingly painful to listen to IMO.

Yeah I understand that they are almost completely opposite genres of music, but maybe there's a headphone that's not AMAZING in both but simply well worth my money.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 28
On that note, perhaps Alessandro MS-1 is worth of a look for you. Apparently they have less of a peak in that area so it may work out for both genres, but I cannot say from first hand experience. But it would be worth researching into.

Key here is to get the right midrange balance IMO. You'll want enough emphasis on mids to bring out more excitement in rock yet not peaky enough that it'll ruin your K-pop music.

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #12 of 28
NO!!!! I love my MS1.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, I don't know about the Alessandro's, they don't look like something up my alley. :p

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #15 of 28
Headphones for Rock and really rocks:

If you have a limited budget Grado SR60 is one option to consider.
If you have saved budget Grado SR225 is one way to think.
If you are already rich Grado RS1 is at stake maybe.

Be a simple headfier. Be a Grado lover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back