Es7, Hd25, Rp-21?
Dec 11, 2007 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

cl2yp71c

Head-Fier
I'm so anxious to finally purchase some cans, as I have been searching endlessly for a decent pair.
I will use them portably as well as at home, mainly for music:
Hard-Rock,Indie,Trance

My budget is up to 250$

It will be driven by my Zune 80(UNAMPED)

I've narrowed my choices to the Ath-ES7, Equation Audio RP-21, and the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II.

Which pair is most rounded?(rp-21 is circumaural so it's probably my first choice because of the comfort)
And if there are alternatives, please list them.
Thanks!!
Sorry for another comparison post. :frowning2:

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Paccioli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you check out the 5 closed can comparison thread?

I checked it out before but since you reminded me, I went there again, and ended up doing some research on the D2000 but found out it has no isolation..grr.

So I'm still stuck here with these choices :-/

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 18
I have all three. Each one is pretty good. Let me try to score them according to what you said you're interested in.

Unamped sound: RP-21 or HD25. I don't care for the ES7 unamped: it has the mushy murkiness typical of cans that simply need an amp.

Comfort: RP-21 is the most comfortable, HD25 next, and ES7 least. The ES7 improves from 3rd place to 2nd place if you pad the underside of the headband with something or if you have so much hair that headband padding is irrelevant.

Isolation: HD25, then ES7, then RP21 pretty far behind those two. Don't expect brick-wall isolation with any of these, just mild (though significant) reduction in outside noise. None of these leaks significantly to the outside world, in my experience.

Beyer DT770 pads can be fitted to the RP21 and may change its isolation characteristics. I haven't tried this.

Hard-Rock,Indie,Trance: these are not my genres but I think all three headphones suit these genres well. None has any deficiency for these genres that would make me say it should be avoided.

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't care for the ES7 unamped: it has the mushy murkiness typical of cans that simply need an amp.

Good to know. I tried my buddie's ES7 and preferred it clearly to the HD25-1 and reasoned it was the best closed portable available - but I tend to forget that fons also may be used directly from a MP3 player thingy.

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 18
Opinions on the unamped ES7 definitely vary. Some people seem quite happy with it unamped.

Nearly all of my music listening time is amped, and there are very few headphones that I actually like when unamped, including many headphones that other people say don't need an amp (KSC35, KSC75, PX100....all need an amp, in my opinion). So I'm not particularly knocking the ES7's unamped sound, as much as I'm saying that to me it exhibits the same sonic deficiencies when unamped nearly every other headphone in the world...while the RP-21 and HD25 in my opinion lose remarkably little when run from a weak source.

I should also say that I generally define "unamped" in terms of how something sounds plugged into whatever iPod I'm currently using. Zunes, etc., may have an entirely different quality of sound when driving these headphones without an amp; I'm not qualified to speak to that, and should have said so earlier.

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 18
I'm making the same decision. The fact that the Hd25 is around 2x the price of the Rp-21 really kills it for me. If portableness is important to you though go for the hd25 as its much better in that regard. Also, the the hd25 can sound better with a cable upgrade it seems.

RP1 for less than $80 new with free shipping:
Equation Audio RP 21 Closed-back Studio Headphones | Full Compass

You do have a decent budget though. Consider DT770s new on ebay for 150, Audio-Technica ATH-A900 also.

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

I'd go with the HD25 for the portability and if you've got the money to spend.

Prime example of why I like people having filled out profiles. Let's me know if they actually have the headphone they're advocating. Have you heard these headphones? Not trying to pick on you or anything, I'm just truly curious as I'm sure the OP is.

That said, I found the isolation on the RP-21's great! I couldn't hear anything going on with music playing and someone has to be right next to you to hear your music playing. Haven't heard the rest.

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #10 of 18
I've owned both the RP-21 and HD25-1 II. While the HD25-1 doesn't have the bass impact of the RP-21, it's much better in other areas. I'm hearing sounds/instruments in music I've never noticed before. Sold the RP-21, now I only have the HD25-1. I was very disappointed with the bass at first, but it simply needs some EQ to boost it up a bit, it can handle it. Also, the HD25-1 definitely has a burn-in period. It seemed too shrill at first, but it quickly got better after the first 12 or so hours of usage. I've never heard the ES7 so I can't offer any advice there.

I think the isolation of the RP-21 was just a little better than the HD25-1, but the HD25-1 is still pretty darn good and is much more portable. Either one is great with an iPod.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #11 of 18
I have ES7 and have compared it to HD25-1 several times. The Senn sounds lumpy in it's frequency response and constricted in spaciality to me. I know many here prefer the HD25-1 but I'd even choose the humble K81DJ over it.
ES7 improves with amping but sounds good out of portable sources.

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Prime example of why I like people having filled out profiles. Let's me know if they actually have the headphone they're advocating. Have you heard these headphones? Not trying to pick on you or anything, I'm just truly curious as I'm sure the OP is.

That said, I found the isolation on the RP-21's great! I couldn't hear anything going on with music playing and someone has to be right next to you to hear your music playing. Haven't heard the rest.

I wasn't commenting based on SQ to begin with. If he wants to carry these around with him he should might as well get the more portable option.

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

I wasn't commenting based on SQ to begin with. If he wants to carry these around with him he should might as well get the more portable option.

He obviously isn't too worried about size. He has the RP-21 listed as his first choice because it is circumaural so I'm sure he knows it's the bigger headphone. Please don't comment if you haven't heard these headphones. Watch out or boomana will GET YOU!

Edit: Also, why recommend the HD-25 over the ES7? They're both portable and the ES7 is probably more portable the the HD-25 (slimmer). I take it you just picked the one that costed the most?

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He obviously isn't too worried about size. He has the RP-21 listed as his first choice because it is circumaural so I'm sure he knows it's the bigger headphone. Please don't comment if you haven't heard these headphones. Watch out or boomana will GET YOU!

Edit: Also, why recommend the HD-25 over the ES7? They're both portable and the ES7 is probably more portable the the HD-25 (slimmer). I take it you just picked the one that costed the most?

the hd-25 has one of the best build qualities and is very light. you can throw it in your book bag without worry. someone said they wouldn't feel comfortable doing that with the es7.

the rp21 really isolates more than the hd25? i've just heard the opposite

most of the great hd25 impressions are done with at least a hd-650 cable upgrade ($15 shipped), which apparently makes the sound a lot better. mine is on the way (sennheiserusa is taking weeks..), but i havn't compared it to these other cans like skylab

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #15 of 18
I've owned all three for quite a while now. FWIW, I own two pair of HD-25-1's (HD25-1 and HD25-II). 25's isolate the best, seem to be the most durable, improve greatly with a recable and IMO are the best all arounder for sound qaulity out of the three. As far as price, just watch the web closely. I bought both new @ $100 and $130.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back