ES2 vs E500 vs UE XXX vs UE10: What's A Person to Do?
May 19, 2006 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jeffreybowman2k

100+ Head-Fier
So many choices! I am going to upgrade from UM2s soon. Price is not an issue. Have tried E5C and was very unimpressed. Loved UM2s, but have become focused on their limitations (esp. w/r/t treble). So now its time to move up again.

Recognizing that opinions would be somewhat speculative at this point, i wonder the following:

1. Is it safe to assume that, if i was not impressed with E5C sound signature, i may not be a fan of the E500?

2. Is it safe to assume that custom molds are almost always going to sound and feel better than foam?

3. Is it safe to assume that newer triple driver desings will outperfrorm dual drivers?

4. Is it safe to assume that if i like UM2s sound signature, i will be pleased with ES2s

5. Has anyone seen a head to head comparison of the E500s (demo model, of course) with the ES2 or UE10?

6. Should I just shut up, be patient, and wait until june when the new models are released?

Thanks.

May 19, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 6
forget those

buy sensaphonics like i did
icon10.gif

lol

May 19, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreybowman2k
1. Is it safe to assume that, if i was not impressed with E5C sound signature, i may not be a fan of the E500?

No, they are different phones. They have the Shure sound signature that many know and love, but they don't sound like any of the other Shures I've listened to. I got to hear them a few months back. You may or may not be impressed. It's going to come down to what type of sound you like.

Quote:

2. Is it safe to assume that custom molds are almost always going to sound and feel better than foam?

Yes and no. Most people I've talked to think that customs are the most comfortable way to go. I get mine next week, so I'll be able to chime in personally later. As for sound quality, there have been a few mixed reviews. Some thought that it improved the sound, while others felt the opposite. There was some question about the final sound you hear, and custom molds
moving the driver further out of your ear canal. Obviously this will vary from headphone to headphone.

Quote:

3. Is it safe to assume that newer triple driver desings will outperfrorm dual drivers?

No. It all depends on how they are made, tuned, and designed. some single driver phones outperform dual driver phones in some users opinions.

Quote:

4. Is it safe to assume that if i like UM2s sound signature, i will be pleased with ES2s

There is an es2 thread that's been going around lately that has some good information in it. There are some very good comparisions of the ES2 to other phones in various sound ranges. For me personally, it's making me seriously consider skipping over the UM2 and jumping to the ES2 for my next major purchase.

Quote:

6. Should I just shut up, be patient, and wait until june when the new models are released?

Yes to the be patient part.

Couldn't answer them all, but it's a start....

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back