ES2 needing to be replaced soon, advice is welcome
Mar 17, 2009 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

arielext

Headphoneus Supremus
The stry in a nutshell: After using numerous iem's I bought a pair of westone ES2's 4 years ago and never looked back, forgetting about the iem scene. Those ES2's are so perfectly matching all i ever looked for in a piece of equipment i nowadays only use in the train to and from work.
Since I'm a bit of a purist (soundwise, not language wise
tongue.gif
) I don't think stepping back to anything less then the ES2's is a viable option for me, eventually i will force myself to buy new custom made iem's anyway
tongue.gif

So here's my question: Get me up 2 date with all the new custom iem's (with their pro's and cons) that came out in the last few years. For example: what are the westone ES3X (flat es3's?).
I'll be visiting head-fi more; missed the place a lot.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 8
From what I gathered so far, ES3X is everything an ES2 owner was left wanting. It is basically the improved custom (unlike ES3 which was bumped in midrange for on-stage use)...so your path is fairly natural.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 8
Basically you need to do some reading on the ES3X, UE-11pro, UE-10pro, ACS-T1, ACS-T2.

The ES3X only came out 1.5 months ago and is getting some very good reviews here and elsewhere - price $850

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does it need to be replaced, if I may be so bold as to inquire? Has it in some way deteriorated, over those four years?

Well isn't that a silly question?

This is head-fi....

Because he has an insatiable disease!
o2smile.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does it need to be replaced, if I may be so bold as to inquire? Has it in some way deteriorated, over those four years?

The left wire connector is a bit loose, cable doesn't have a 100% fit anymore. I have a "turn head for automatic mono mode" feature now
smily_headphones1.gif

Besided that the whole fit of the left piece isn't 100% anymore.

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The left wire connector is a bit loose, cable doesn't have a 100% fit anymore. I have a "turn head for automatic mono mode" feature now
smily_headphones1.gif

Besided that the whole fit of the left piece isn't 100% anymore.

Thank you. This is one precious piece of information for me, as I've been thinking about customs but can't really afford to change them all that often. I can see myself spending $100/year on IEMs, but for the moment, any more than that wouldn't be too reasonable.

+
icon10.gif
for the "feature"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back