ERS Paper - picture and video thread
May 30, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #271 of 376
[size=large]ERS Paper around headphone cable with toilet paper rolls and cotton thread dielectric[/size]

3 months ago I wrapped my headphone cable in ERS Paper that was hanging from the cable with scotch tape, the ERS Paper was 5mm from the surface of the cable. It made it sound worse so I had to remove it.

Then I tried it again and used toilet paper rolls and a cotton thread to suspend the cable inside. Now the ERS Paper is separated 1+cm from the cable. I'm not hearing any weaknesses at all, it made it better in every way! Background is crazy black, there is more low-level detail and clarity than ever before!

[size=large]First impressions[/size]

The background got quieter which revealed more bass information. It gave the illusion of heavier bass. But the bass is more solid and doesn't interfere with the rest of the music. Everything is faster and more distinct, there is higher resolution.

The high frequencies are cleaner and whiter as well. It made everything more revealing and the jitter of my transport is more apparent now. The differences between tweaks for my transport is bigger than before.

The low-level details are clearer than before, but now I'm also hearing new detail that used to be cut off. The quiet sounds extend further and they are audible because of more clarity. A new world of very quiet detail has opened up. Those sounds aren't quiet because of dullness, but because they really are so quiet. The music sounds more true.

There are no weaknesses, everything got better. But the improved dynamics made it more fatiguing to listen, it reminds me of 16 months ago when I got my first vibration isolation rack where it took 2 months for my brain to get used to the extra speed.

Since there is more information in the music everything sounds louder, the only way I can keep listening is to reduce the volume with 3dB. My amp and DAC were fully wrapped in ERS except for the headphone cable, and now when I wrapped the last part of my system it made the biggest difference. Now the bass is so heavy and fast it makes me sick!

[size=large]Taking it for a ride[/size]

When I upgraded the headphone cable from Nordost Solar Wind into Nordost Valkyrja I had to brace myself in my chair (link). When I wrapped the Valkyrja with ERS Paper I had to lie down.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

May 30, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #274 of 376
Patrick, as a silent reader on most of your threads, your latest post just does it and has compelled me to make a post!

I mean wrapping the headphone cable with the paper? Doesn't all that paper get awkward? hats off to ya

On a serious note a few questions:

How long did you last in one go listening to music on your system?

How easy is it to change a cd with all the paper around?

How big is you music collection - cds/lossless?

With all that paper on the headphone cable doesn't it cause cord noise that gets picked up by the Valkyrja and transferred onto the music?

Do you have any pets?

When are you going to replace all the valkyrja with Nordost Odin cable?

It should be intresting and like the guy said... 'better you, than me.'.

May 30, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #275 of 376
Certainly is nice to have you back Patrick.

I see you've made up for lost time already today. I'm having trouble keeping up with all of your posts. But, if I only saw this one, then all is well in the world again! ROTFLMAO
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #276 of 376
Quote:

Originally Posted by practitioner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patrick, as a silent reader on most of your threads, your latest post just does it and has compelled me to make a post!

I mean wrapping the headphone cable with the paper? Doesn't all that paper get awkward? hats off to ya

No, the paper makes it more comfortable than what I had before. It just takes longer to set up into position when I change between my bed and chair. The cable doesn't slide on the table anymore, it stays put, I like it.

Even if it was uncomfortable I wouldn't care since I get better sound.

Quote:

On a serious note a few questions:

How long did you last in one go listening to music on your system?

I don't want the chair to get sticky so I haven't tried.

Quote:

How easy is it to change a cd with all the paper around?

Changing the CD with my Cary transport goes as fast as with my computer.

Quote:

How big is you music collection - cds/lossless?

100+, but I only listen to a dozen albums. Half of my reference albums are mp3. I'm too poor to upgrade to CD for a small improvement like that.
I just upgraded my 1+ year reference 192 kbps mp3 album into WAV, I will see what the improvements will be.

Quote:

With all that paper on the headphone cable doesn't it cause cord noise that gets picked up by the Valkyrja and transferred onto the music?

I don't hear any noise. The ERS Paper is soft from the cotton surrounding it.

Quote:

Do you have any pets?

I don't have pets anymore.

Quote:

When are you going to replace all the valkyrja with Nordost Odin cable?
It should be intresting and like the guy said... 'better you, than me.'.

When Santa brings the Odin.

May 30, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #278 of 376
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is your boyfriend taking the pictures of you?
k1000smile.gif

Isn't it obvious. There are two Patrick82's, one with glasses that tweaks the audio system, and one without glasses who builds the muscles for the girls. See pics. Either I'm insane or I have a twin, I can't find a picture of us together though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back