Ernst Bloch
Sep 29, 2006 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Doc Sarvis

1000+ Head-Fier
I've tried on occasion to get a discussion going here on this 20th century American composer, without success. I conclude that he isn't well-known here, so I'll put in another plug. I continue to be amazed with his stuff - here are a few recommendations:

Concerto Grossi # 1 and # 2 - My faves; available on an old Mercury recording and a few newer versions.
Schelomo - A cello suite - many versions available.
Sacred Service - I just discovered this today - Kind of a Jewish Bach cantata - extremely impressive.

Any others know this guy?

Sep 29, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 6
Doc: I can't say Bloch is among my favorite composers, but he wrote one work that I love tremendously and just wish he had written more like it. I'm speaking of his early Symphony in C# minor. I find it to be a thrilling, atmospheric, heroic work. Noble, even. The 2nd movement is about as uplifting as anything I know. I used to hope that given the unabated interest in Mahler, that some conductors might take on the Bloch, but alas, it seems to be a hopeless cause. I have the score, and it is difficult, but no harder than a symphony by Elgar, Mahler or others.

I also like Schelomo and have played it several times in various orchestras. Very exciting stuff.

Sep 30, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
I've tried on occasion to get a discussion going here on this 20th century American composer, without success. I conclude that he isn't well-known here, so I'll put in another plug. I continue to be amazed with his stuff - here are a few recommendations:

Concerto Grossi # 1 and # 2 - My faves; available on an old Mercury recording and a few newer versions.
Schelomo - A cello suite - many versions available.
Sacred Service - I just discovered this today - Kind of a Jewish Bach cantata - extremely impressive.

Any others know this guy?

I have only half a dozen records of him. On Mercury I have the Howard Hanson LP of Concerto Grossi #1 and #2, and also the Kubelik of #1. I like them quite a lot but have heard them only recently.

I've a few different Schelomo recordings, including a Piatigorsky/Munch that I haven't had time to play yet.

Sep 30, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
Doc: I can't say Bloch is among my favorite composers, but he wrote one work that I love tremendously and just wish he had written more like it. I'm speaking of his early Symphony in C# minor. I find it to be a thrilling, atmospheric, heroic work. Noble, even. The 2nd movement is about as uplifting as anything I know.

Quite a coincidence. I picked up an LP of this in just the last couple of weeks from the assistant recording engineer, who had an extra promo of it that he gave me.

It was put out on a private pressing, The Ernest Bloch Society EBS-001, in 1985. It's an audiophile release, with minimal (purist) miking, pressed by Europadisk on Teldec virgin vinyl, utilizing Direct Metal Mastering. Excellent recording!

Robert Hart Baker/Saint Louis Philharmonic Orchestra, recorded 1/27/84 at Kiel Auditorium. Notes say it had not been played by an American orchestra since 1927.

So how do I like it? Well, it didn't thrill me the first time through but it certainly deserves another listening. I had the feeling that I would get into it more the second time.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 6
I have borrowed Bloch's Sacred Service (The Zemel Choir/LSO/Geoffrey Simon, released under Chandos) from the library and I like it a lot: for a religious work, it is packed with drama and contrasts. Very individual and without resorting to the Jewish traditional stock.

Oct 11, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 6
I love Schelomo-- need to get a good recording on CD.

I tried the Concerti Grossi, Doc, but they didn't do anything for me, at least first time around. I'll try 'em again some time when I'm in a different sort of mood and see how they strike me. I figure there must be something good there for you to like them so much.

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back