Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Apr 7, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #9,526 of 9,892
@UntilThen
This one is also very good: https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/m8162-cv4024-12at7wa-mullard-old-logo-nos-valve-tube-lc35/
Of course it has more gain in the amplification, is one of my favourites if the output tubes are rather neutral or Japanese.
It offers good warmth as a balance and fine resolution that sounds refined.
I'm just not sure what the logo on the M8162 is all about.
Langerex offers the same one with the new Mullard logo.
Unfortunately I don't know if they differ in construction.
@g0ldl10n
Not sure what you have in mind, but removing the base from the top is a bad idea.
Because the cables don't give you much to take the base out.
In fact, it's better to open it.
Eric only left the bare minimum on my Junior Ultimate and I would actually have to get at the base from the inside if I had to.
I think it's the same with the Mini and probably even more fiddly because it's smaller in size.

Apr 7, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #9,527 of 9,892
Not sure what you have in mind, but removing the base from the top is a bad idea.
Because the cables don't give you much to take the base out.
In fact, it's better to open it.
Eric only left the bare minimum on my Junior Ultimate and I would actually have to get at the base from the inside if I had to.
I think it's the same with the Mini and probably even more fiddly because it's smaller in size.
I am not referring to a modification I plan to make to my Mini, but in regards to an amp I am currently building.

Apr 7, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #9,529 of 9,892
Last evaluation of SupremE and UltimatE before the SupremE goes back to Eric. Any one listening to these 2 amps will know that they have the same DNA. The similarities are startling. However SupremE just sound more open and airier. A more soothing sound. A slight change that makes a big difference to my ears. I gravitate more towards SupremE and will miss it when it leaves. There are no issues with this amp. Eric has been consistent with his build now. There is no need for testing future amps.

Just to list the tubes used for the comparison of those 2 amps.

UltimatE - Tesla EZ81, Hytron 7A4, Visseaux 6K6gt
SupremE - GE 5R4GA, Sylvania 6j5gt, RCA 45

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #9,530 of 9,892
I've been through a lot of tube amps. In all the earlier amps, I didn't want to use socket savers because they spoil the aesthetics and will not add to sound quality. In fact any additional adapters will only take away the pureness of the amp.

However in Ultimate, I am glad I use socket savers from day one. The amp still sound as good and looks good too. I try the base sockets yesterday without socket savers and they are still as tight as day one. It will be a different story if I hadn't use socket savers with the amount of tube rolling that I do. Let's face it, what is so hard with using socket savers. Why go to the trouble of designing sockets that are easy to replace.

Some things are not necessary. The dual caps is not necessary. After a while you will just settle on the cap you prefer. So just pick one that you can afford and be done with it. Dual driver inputs is different though. That is a nice and beneficial feature.

Replaceable fuse? You can do that already. It is as easy as eating a pie. I had already forgotten that I have a Aucharm fuse in my UltimatE and it hasn't blown yet. :)

IMG_7684.jpg

Apr 7, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #9,531 of 9,892
Just came home after returning Bryant's SupremE to Eric. He showed me a pair of vintage caps that some say are as good as VCAP Cutf and said that he will install it in my UltimatE. :relaxed: The danger of staying close to Eric is that you will not run out of gear to try.

He asked me to take the 6as7 amp home to try again. I was sceptical and said that the last time I listen to it, it was not as quiet as UltimatE. Eric said that can't be because it is the same circuitry. So to satisfy my ever pursuit of quiet amps, I took this 6as7 amp home again to audition. This is a basic model with timE o/p transformers, basic sockets, plain Jane looks. There is a switch for 5998 tube or 6as7 tube. It's optimised for 5998 if you flick the switch. I had a look at the internal chassis and it is beautiful. As beautiful as UltimatE's internal chassis work.

To start with I am using 6bW4 rectifier, Sylvania JAN CHS 6SL7GT VT-229 as driver and Mullard 6080 as power tube. You only need one power tube because it is a dual triode. Eric advised to use higher gain drivers because the 6as7 tube like the 300b are lazy tubes with low mu.

This amp has the same power as UltimatE. 3w into 8 ohms. That's more than enough to run HD800 and any ZMF headphones.

So powered on for 10 mins and with no music playing, I plug in my Grado GH1 and no noise, no hum, no nothing. Just pure silence. With the volume knob turned all the way to max and it's still as quiet as a church mouse.

Now for the sound. If you love the sound from UltimatE, you will love this more. This is a transformer coupled amp and the Mullard 6080 sound is just plain amazing. It's just more romantic and soothing. Treble have more rounded curves and bass is a knockout ! Midrange - huh - this is where the 6as7 amp shines. If you're listening to vocals, this is it. It's right up there compared with UltimatE and SupremE. Best of all, I don't think you need to upgrade anything because this basic model sound stunning. Save your money and get a single 5998. :)

IMG_9145.jpg

Apr 7, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #9,533 of 9,892
Just came home after returning Bryant's SupremE to Eric. He showed me a pair of vintage caps that some say are as good as VCAP Cutf and said that he will install it in my UltimatE. :relaxed: The danger of staying close to Eric is that you will not run out of gear to try.

He asked me to take the 6as7 amp home to try again. I was sceptical and said that the last time I listen to it, it was not as quiet as UltimatE. Eric said that can't be because it is the same circuitry. So to satisfy my ever pursuit of quiet amps, I took this 6as7 amp home again to audition. This is a basic model with timE o/p transformers, basic sockets, plain Jane looks. There is a switch for 5998 tube or 6as7 tube. It's optimised for 5998 if you flick the switch. I had a look at the internal chassis and it is beautiful. As beautiful as UltimatE's internal chassis work.

To start with I am using 6bW4 rectifier, Sylvania JAN CHS 6SL7GT VT-229 as driver and Mullard 6080 as power tube. You only need one power tube because it is a dual triode. Eric advised to use higher gain drivers because the 6as7 tube like the 300b are lazy tubes with low mu.

This amp has the same power as UltimatE. 3w into 8 ohms. That's more than enough to run HD800 and any ZMF headphones.

So powered on for 10 mins and with no music playing, I plug in my Grado GH1 and no noise, no hum, no nothing. Just pure silence. With the volume knob turned all the way to max and it's still as quiet as a church mouse.

Now for the sound. If you love the sound from UltimatE, you will love this more. This is a transformer coupled amp and the Mullard 6080 sound is just plain amazing. It's just more romantic and soothing. Treble have more rounded curves and bass is a knockout ! Midrange - huh - this is where the 6as7 amp shines. If you're listening to vocals, this is it. It's right up there compared with UltimatE and SupremE. Best of all, I don't think you need to upgrade anything because this basic model sound stunning. Save your money and get a single 5998. :)

IMG_9145.jpg
I have a similar type 6AS7 amp with just two tubes. As Eric how the 6AS7 amp would sound with a 6528 or 6336 tube. (I know that it is not designed for 5A current draw, but it is easy enough to add external power.) -In my amp it made a huge difference for the better.

Apr 7, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #9,534 of 9,892
I have a similar type 6AS7 amp with just two tubes. As Eric how the 6AS7 amp would sound with a 6528 or 6336 tube. (I know that it is not designed for 5A current draw, but it is easy enough to add external power.) -In my amp it made a huge difference for the better.

If one wishes, Eric can always source a more powerful transformer to handle 6336. That is how I will do it if I wanted to have this custom made.

You need only one 6336. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #9,536 of 9,892
Apr 7, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #9,537 of 9,892

IMG_9145.jpg

Oh! I like the little dude. It is neat, nice and very compact. Good for bedrooms and traveling with a small Dac. How much does it weight weigh Matt?

Apr 7, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #9,538 of 9,892
Apr 8, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #9,539 of 9,892
I have a dilemma. Do I remove the Mundorf or the Miflex to be replaced by the vintage cap? :relaxed:

Meanwhile I have UltimatE and 6as7 amp going head to head and toe to toe.

UltimatE - Tesla EZ81, Telefunken ECC801S, EL38 ($3500 for amp)
6as7 amp - RCA 6BW4, Amperex 12AX7, Tung Sol 5998 ($1600 for amp)

Both lovely sounding. Both diamonds glistening in the sun. The 5998 is the best I've heard in any amps that uses 5998 and that includes Euforia, La Figaro 339i, WA22 and Glenn OTL. Amazing sounding amp and it will be a long term loan - like 20 years. :beyersmile:

What do you call the 6as7 amp? Eric suggested UltimatE 6AS7.

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #9,540 of 9,892

Users who are viewing this thread

Back