Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Feb 15, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #8,732 of 9,894
Today I finally decided to add that 1/4" headphone out to the the front panel, which I was struck with the realization that maybe I should have done that while I was doing everything for the converter :sweat_smile:

Last possible modification for my Mini will be the replacement of the miniature 9 pin input socket with an octal socket. I think I will take a break though and just enjoy the music for a little while and think on this a little more, because currently my favorite inputs are miniature 9 pin tubes, lol.. soo I am still not 100% sure I should do this.

1708019618975.png

Oh, and @triod750 please keep your hex jinx's to yourself next time :joy::joy::joy:

Feb 15, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #8,733 of 9,894
Today I finally decided to add that 1/4" headphone out to the the front panel, which I was struck with the realization that maybe I should have done that while I was doing everything for the converter :sweat_smile:

Last possible modification for my Mini will be the replacement of the miniature 9 pin input socket with an octal socket. I think I will take a break though and just enjoy the music for a little while and think on this a little more, because currently my favorite inputs are miniature 9 pin tubes, lol.. soo I am still not 100% sure I should do this.

1708019618975.png

Oh, and @triod750 please keep your hex jinx's to yourself next time :joy::joy::joy:
Why can’t you just put in an octal to 9pin adapter? Maybe make it look fancy with a metal base?

Feb 15, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #8,734 of 9,894
Why can’t you just put in an octal to 9pin adapter? Maybe make it look fancy with a metal base?
I mean, I can, but the reason I am not really a fan of that is because it would still mean that some tubes would be sitting a lot higher because it would still be like two adapters - unless ofc I remade most of my adapters with 9 pin bases rather than the octal bases I originally built them with.

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #8,736 of 9,894
You could put an octal socket on the side opposite to that converter. Quirky but would suit you :grin:
Actually, this gives me an idea! There are some NOS Transformers with octal sockets placed on top of them, lol.. think I will replace the PT with this one - problem solved.

1708027313925.png

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #8,737 of 9,894
Looking back at your older posts I saw you have also ran the EL11 as power tubes - how do you like those and are they still in your rotation?
Yes, but one of them has a very loose base and I need to repair or replace before using them again. My favorite power tubes to date: EL34, EL11 (and the closely related EL3N) and of course the mighty GEC KT88

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #8,738 of 9,894
Yes, but one of them has a very loose base and I need to repair or replace before using them again. My favorite power tubes to date: EL34, EL11 (and the closely related EL3N) and of course the mighty GEC KT88
It is very easy to fix a loose base - just drop in a couple of drops of crazy glue between the base and the glass and let it dry overnight. Many times you can feel which position is correct for the glass. After putting in the glue you just need to hold everything in place for a minute before letting it dry fully in a secure place.

Feb 15, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #8,739 of 9,894
This is good to hear.

I found a pair of NIB/NOS WIRAG EL11 tubes for what I think is a good price, and I know some have praised them quite a bit in this thread but I haven't seen them come up recently, so thought maybe they lost their appeal. These types of tubes I have never tried in any way, so grabbed the pair.

But figured these are worth trying, and if I am let down by them (which I kind of feel like I will be) I can just turn around and sell them.

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #8,740 of 9,894
This is good to hear.

I found a pair of NIB/NOS WIRAG EL11 tubes for what I think is a good price, and I know some have praised them quite a bit in this thread but I haven't seen them come up recently, so thought maybe they lost their appeal. These types of tubes I have never tried in any way, so grabbed the pair.

But figured these are worth trying, and if I am let down by them (which I kind of feel like I will be) I can just turn around and sell them.
IMHO the Telefunken EL11 sound the best, but they are hard to find now.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #8,741 of 9,894
The first Ultimate to roll off the McChanson’s bench for 2024 is Hai’s Super Gold Ultimate. It has the same specs and parts as mine, Cracker and Albert’s Super Ultimate.

I will return home in 24 days time. Despite my not wanting to test any more Ultimates, at Eric’s request, I will test Hai’s Ultimate and also Albert’s Ultimate when it return for some tender loving care.

Thereafter I just want to listen to music with my own amps and tubes. Looking forward to it.

Ultimate has been a tube rollers dream. I would never have imagined it to be so adaptable when I chose it over the Mini 6bx7 and 6as7 amps. Of course tube rolling is a waste of time and money if Ultimate didn’t sound good. Fortunately it sound like a stairway to heaven. It is also very quiet and cool to touch. Aesthetically it is also a beauty whether it is a Mini, Junior or Super Ultimate. Last but not least, the price is right and affordable.

Eric said his labour is $23.50 an hour. That is Australia‘S minimum wage. 😀

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #8,742 of 9,894
Eric said his labour is $23.50 an hour. That is Australia‘S minimum wage. 😀
That is super cheap wage for a Master Builder :L3000: . Thank you very much Matt, Eric has informed me that you agree to do audition test for my amp when you return from vacation. In the meantime, i am still collecting and building a stack of tubes. I just acquired this pair of Blue Cobalt NOS Tesla EL34 that i can not find any information how they sound.

1708050405896.png

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #8,743 of 9,894
That is super cheap wage for a Master Builder :L3000: . Thank you very much Matt, Eric has informed me that you agrees to do audition test for my amp when you return from vacation. In the meantime, i am still collecting and building a stack of tubes. I just acquired this pair of Blue Cobalt NOS Tesla EL34 that i can not find any information how they sound.

1708050405896.png

Eric build amps for clients more for the love of it rather than as a business venture hence he doesn’t charge much.

I have seen that Cobalt Blue Tesla EL34 while browsing eBay. Let us know how it sound. Probably the only pair I have seen.

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #8,744 of 9,894
That is super cheap wage for a Master Builder :L3000: . Thank you very much Matt, Eric has informed me that you agree to do audition test for my amp when you return from vacation. In the meantime, i am still collecting and building a stack of tubes. I just acquired this pair of Blue Cobalt NOS Tesla EL34 that i can not find any information how they sound.

1708050405896.png
Very Nice Tubes

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #8,745 of 9,894

1708050405896.png
So weird.. I was actually browsing tubes today, just a few hours ago actually, and came across these which I have never seen before and thought they looked interesting.. hopefully they sound great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back