Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jul 8, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #3,751 of 9,894
I got a couple caddies a number of years ago that were both still sealed in their original shipping box. One was marked GE that I gave to a friend as a Christmas present (and surprisingly he's still my friend after that :laughing:) and I kept the RCA. Problem is I'd need about 30 of them to store all my tubes....

Tube Caddy1.jpg

Tube Caddy3.jpg
I use mine to store my most used tubes, I have other storage solutions for spares and other tubes.

I really want one of those RCA boxes but have never had the opportunity to purchase one as a reasonable cost.

Jul 8, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #3,752 of 9,894
I will hold off on my full impressions of my ultima amp but I will say Matt was not exaggerating about the sound.

Jul 8, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #3,754 of 9,894
He said it was pretty good, didn't he...? :)

I'll do a full impression at a later time but its something like this.

Focal-Clear-.jpg

Jul 8, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #3,755 of 9,894
I use mine to store my most used tubes, I have other storage solutions for spares and other tubes.

I really want one of those RCA boxes but have never had the opportunity to purchase one as a reasonable cost.
Yeah, these days the ones that are in really good condition are pretty expensive. I got both of mine for $75 not including shipping. Same seller, he had them listed for $50 each but I offered him $75 for both and he accepted. But that was around 15 years ago...

Here's one for a good price that's in decent condition. Not perfect, but better than many I've seen that are listed for much higher prices:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3857370973...MOkvJFO1pPxi95778AfzVeig==|tkp:Bk9SR8KAje2mYg

I've really wanted a Telefunken or Brimar one, but never seen any. I'm wondering if the Europeans used or even made these like they did in the US.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #3,756 of 9,894
Jul 8, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #3,757 of 9,894
I will hold off on my full impressions of my ultima amp but I will say Matt was not exaggerating about the sound.

Thanks Doug. I don't exaggerate. I just use simple adjectives like amazing, astounding, incredible because I'm in ecstasy here and can't describe coherently. :wink:

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #3,759 of 9,894
Jul 8, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #3,762 of 9,894
After listening to the ultima, I regret not getting the flagship whichever that may be.

Its crazy how good it sounds because its not even burned in yet.

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #3,763 of 9,894
After listening to the ultima, I regret not getting the flagship whichever that may be.

Its crazy how good it sounds because its not even burned in yet.

I feel very humble now. When I first heard Ultimate, I felt the same way too. I wanted to tell the world about it, hence the 2500 posts so far. :xf_cool:

Keep what you have for the bedroom and buy the flagship - the Super Ultimate with 6J5 sockets and dual caps.

I'm getting Mundorf MCap Supreme Silver Gold Oil and Miflex kpuc-01 caps. I will have a fun time switching between those 2.

I am still waiting for the GEC L63 to arrive. I expect it to sound golden in this already gold Ultimate.

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #3,764 of 9,894
It's 5:32am now on a Sunday morning. I powered on 3 Ultimates and listen for noise and I can't hear any. All I hear is bliss. The female soprano is literally kissing my ears. :rolling_eyes:
@Leicachamp your amp is whisper quiet now. In 2 hours time, I will be seeing Eric again...

I am listening now with HD800 and the Super Ultimate with the same tubes as last night - RCA 6J5 and EL39. This is so good and refined. It is definitely better than the basic Mini Silver Ultimate. The wooden Ultimate is very close to this Super Ultimate. I feel it's mission accomplished having heard these amps. My job is done now. I will leave you new owners of Ultimate to post your impressions.

IMG_6750.jpg

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #3,765 of 9,894
Damm you Bcowen, I had to google putain. :rolling_eyes:
Did you see what Deyan has done? Are these not the coolest looking adapters ever? Now I have to get all new ones. :sweat: And you probably will too. 'cause an Ultimate amp needs ultimate adapters. 🤣

Deyan's pic, but these are 6SN7 -> 6922 for the Vali 2 that fit perfectly without having to add a socket saver to clear the top cover.

1688845156695.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back