Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jun 13, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #2,342 of 9,894
A lot has happened since this morning. Ultimate has been left on playing non stop with the new rectifier EZ81 in it. I don't think it's just the rectifier but Ultimate sounded so much better now to my ears and this is still with Voskhod 6n23p and Psvane KT88 Tii.

The music's crazy good with Susvara. If this is how Ultimate performs, I'm sold. I'll have 2 Ultimates.
The EZ81 rectifier is wonderful. If you can find a RFT EZ81 ‘foil getter’, nab it !!

Jun 13, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #2,345 of 9,894
Here is a picture of a RFT ECC82 with a foil (disc) getter. Note the ‘foil’ attached to a ‘halo’ getter towards the inside top of the glass:
C807EC63-3AD8-4691-9F24-E962287A7A5F.jpeg

Jun 13, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #2,346 of 9,894
Guys may I request that you don't give Eric too many fanciful request to 'upgrade' Ultimate. His is a one man operation and what started out as a KISS Ultimate has now evolved into a lot of fanciful stuff. It will just make things difficult for him and slow down the process of turning out Ultimates.

So think again before you ask him to make Ultimate as both a tube amp and a solid state or one where it can cook your bacon.
I think this ship has long sailed.......

Not bacon, I should have thought of that, but mine will prepare pancakes! :laughing:

Jun 13, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #2,348 of 9,894
Jun 13, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #2,350 of 9,894
Ultimatt is 96 hours now. Every morning at 3am (like Simon and Garfunkel) I will power on Ultimate and all I get is the sound of silence. Whatever tube combination I use, whether they have top caps or chunky adapters, the amp is just pure silence. It's spooky. I've never had a tube amp this quiet.

Quietness and a black background is my most prize criteria in a tube amp and Ultimate has passed with flying colours. This silence is with my Grado RS1X btw.

So as a tribute, I will play Sound of Silence now. :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #2,351 of 9,894
Fivre 6a6 and EL11 is still my top tube combination in Ultimate. It does not have the deepest bass, nor is it the most impactful bass. It does have the best stereo imaging and instruments separation. It does have the best height and depth of headstage. It does have the best details retrieval and in my opinion, the best tonality. This last attribute is of course the most important. Tonality, tonality, tonality. That is why we tube roll. To get the best tonality according to our preference and ears.

I would have preferred the best combination to be without adapters but this tube combination is equipped with adapters to the hilt.

However, I am awaiting some adapters and tubes to come in... I think there are great potential in EL32, c3g, EL81, EL84, ECC31.... and finally my elusive ECC35.

Jun 13, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #2,352 of 9,894
It is nice and also reassuring that they like the Ultimatt and that it does what it is supposed to do.
I'm really excited about mine when it arrives.

I have a Bel and Valvo as my Ez81.
Eric said the Mullard was good but didn't comment on it.
I just got myself one.
The Bel was made in India with Mullard tools, so strictly speaking it is a Mullard.

I'm curious to see what happens with their Tesla.

Keep on having fun with the Ultimatt,I'm slightly envious of their great sweaty tube search where they had back then.😅
But always a nice eye-catcher worth in the beautiful wooden chassis and the glow of the mica.

Jun 13, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #2,353 of 9,894
Ultimatt is 96 hours now. Every morning at 3am (like Simon and Garfunkel) I will power on Ultimate and all I get is the sound of silence. Whatever tube combination I use, whether they have top caps or chunky adapters, the amp is just pure silence. It's spooky. I've never had a tube amp this quiet.

Quietness and a black background is my most prize criteria in a tube amp and Ultimate has passed with flying colours. This silence is with my Grado RS1X btw.

So as a tribute, I will play Sound of Silence now. :wink:
Good start. Let us know how it makes you feel reproducing Cage's 4'33" :thinking:

Jun 13, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #2,354 of 9,894
It is nice and also reassuring that they like the Ultimatt and that it does what it is supposed to do.
I'm really excited about mine when it arrives.

I have a Bel and Valvo as my Ez81.
Eric said the Mullard was good but didn't comment on it.
I just got myself one.
The Bel was made in India with Mullard tools, so strictly speaking it is a Mullard.

I'm curious to see what happens with their Tesla.

Keep on having fun with the Ultimatt,I'm slightly envious of their great sweaty tube search where they had back then.😅
But always a nice eye-catcher worth in the beautiful wooden chassis and the glow of the mica.

I'll check with Eric later today. The power transformer is supposed to come in today. Your built is almost ready to roll. Next will be @dougms3

I just bought a RFT EZ81 and hopefully the foil is a foil and not a decoy. :wink:

Gentlemen, I am way passed my last tube. Anyway who cares about last tube. That's a urban legend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back