Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Mar 31, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #9,331 of 9,894
OK, thanks , can you post some photos of it for me ?

This is Destiny - McChanson 300b amp which Eric made for me well before Ultimate. Like 2 years before. It has interstage transformers instead of caps and 2 chokes. The amp weighs a ton. This is the amp I say sounds better with Susvara than Feliks Audio Envy. I have heard both.

With Susvara there is no noise at all with Destiny. With HD800 there is hardly any noise too. I sold it to Mathevan who had Eric convert it to use the more powerful 300b xls tubes. Destiny is 8 watts into 4 ohms and will drive speakers for sure.

When Shane saw what I had, he wanted one too. Exactly like mine. :) So Eric made him one too. Here is a photo of them when I was testing them.

The one on the right Genalex 300b tubes is mine. The one on the left is Destiny 2 - Shane's. :) Subsequently there is a Destiny 3 - in black and it went to Melbourne.

IMG_2434 (2).jpg

IMG_6294.jpg

Mar 31, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #9,332 of 9,894
Eric has been making speaker amps way before the Ultimate craze exploded on the scene. He can't understand why he has more orders for Ultimate than his speaker amps all of a sudden. :)

Another McChanson 300b amp using Hashimoto transformers and a very beautiful wooden chassis. This was in 2016.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.ca8a2bd1659d66143939156270db43d3.jpg

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #9,333 of 9,894
Looking for suitable matches for the GEC L63 - here is one:
IMG_2523.jpg

A pair of octogenarian Telefunken EL11 tubes (1943/44). The L63 GEC tubes add a special glow to the mid range, and the TFK EL11 tubes give a strong and punchy bass. The capacitor switch is set to Miflex which contributes to great detail and clarity.
Switched to the Russian K-40 capacitors - a subtle change with an overall softer presentation with a little less detail and less punchy but thicker bass. Chocolate or vanilla? Today I think I'll go for chocolate (Miflex).
I also suspect that the tube combination being used has an influence on which capacitors sound better at a particular listening session.

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #9,335 of 9,894
A good problem to have, to many 5v rectifiers.

Indeed. Now you have just as many rectifiers to roll as drivers and power tubes. This morning I'm captivated by 2a3 tone in SupremE. All 3 power tubes in SupremE are lovely - 300b, 2a3 and 45. Each presenting different sonic perspectives. It's very rare of Eric to praise his own amps but he said that this SupremE is a good amp.

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #9,336 of 9,894
Still enjoying the combination with Vcap,Ez80 Telefunken,6K6 Visseaux and Tungsol 5751 (Nos) with the Auteur OG.
I'm downright addicted to this combination, I don't know why, but everything sounds so clear and powerful enough that you don't need any more at the moment.
Could also be because I've forgotten how good the Auteur actually is, as I've rarely used it in the last 9 months.
And now I'm in for a revelation.
What I definitely know is that it definitely sounds better on the Ultimate than on the Euforia and all the tones are much better staged with a 100% tube match.
On the Euforia there was always something missing or sounded muddy or unfinished here and there.
The vocals are also much more emotive and very clear, and the same is true of the instrument presentation, dynamics and focus.
This combo also clearly beats the TS5998+6v6 combo on the Euforia.
For neutrally tuned headphones it is almost obligatory to try this combination or come close to it.
Since the Nos TS 5751 is a little harder to get, the next closest thing is the Raytheon Windmill, which is a little more neutral in my opinion.
Also in terms of turning up the potentiometer, although it is a slightly above average Mu amplification, it fits at 9 o'clock everything is full of juice and it gets a little better at 10 o'clock without adding more losses or overlays.
And that's actually enough, I haven't had to drive more than 10 o'clock until now.
Here is another example of how full-bodied the title sounds.
The quality is certainly better on Tidal or other providers:

Ps: Ultimate needs to be wiped off the dust again I know.

20240401_001146.jpg

20240401_001152.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #9,339 of 9,894
Those RF EL39 are specials, combined with C3G and 5V rectifier open up heavenly sounds.

I first ordered the EL39 in Mar 15th 2021 for Odyssey. Seems like a long time now but not as long as those who love it in Euforia.

Mar 31, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #9,341 of 9,894
I bought 2 pairs, one for reserve on your recommendation.
UT recommended only one pair in reserve? So that some were left for him? 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back