Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Oct 16, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #6,811 of 9,894
This is close up in case you can't see. That is the Russian rabbits.
People, do not google that on your work laptops! Just saying... :unamused:

Oct 16, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #6,812 of 9,894
People, do not google that on your work laptops! Just saying... :unamused:

I have no idea Russian rabbits are as big as dogs.

o1AJ9qDyyJNSg3j52kokyfvD831NZXqF47nWFahHjS4u6jzbG.jpg

Oct 16, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #6,813 of 9,894
GEC CV1135/DET20 and EL39. If you can put up with the wires (which I think looks pretty good) these GEC rabbit ears can sideline the Mullard ECC35 for a while. They sound just as good !

With 320 hours of burn in, Ultimate with these tubes is everything I want it to be. Shimmering chime, tantalising vocals and substantial bass with an attack and decay that is timed just right, it's guaranteed a long listening session of unadulterated bliss.

Mundorf with it's more resolving prowess / sweet treble and Miflex with it's more natural, organic tone, you'll be having a hard time which to choose. I suggest give both equal time and just enjoy them.

IMG_7989.jpg

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #6,815 of 9,894
Oct 16, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #6,816 of 9,894
There is an emerging pattern of my power tubes preference - EL39, EL12, EL12 spez. Similarly for drivers - ECC35, 34, 31, Fivre 6N7G brown base, GEC CV1135/DET20, GEC L63, Mullard VR135.

I like EL34 metal base, EL34 double D getters, Tung Sol 6550, GEC KT66 and GEC KT88 too but those are reserved for special occasions. :)

These are what I call 'S' tiers tubes in Ultimate - of course my preference and imho. In relation to the gear I use. Yggdrasil, HD800 & Susvara.

Oct 16, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #6,817 of 9,894
Loving AC/DC all of a sudden. Fortunately I am listening with headphones because listening to AC/DC at 4am with speakers is going to have consequences. :) You must listen to this on Tidal or a better source than Youtube but the video is a visual experience.

Oct 16, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #6,819 of 9,894
Ultimate survived a thunderstorm and sudden cut to power when I was in the middle of 'Water of love'. This amp is built for such emergencies. :wink: Thankfully my $40 fuse survived.
That song is underappreciated and one of my favorites. Good taste Matt and glad everything survived the natural elements.

Oct 16, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #6,820 of 9,894
That song is underappreciated and one of my favorites. Good taste Matt and glad everything survived the natural elements.

Water of Love - live at the BBC is a classic. I was in the midst of it when everything goes off at the same time - lights, amp, dac, PC, head bobbing stops too. Such was the suddenness of it. My next reaction was to reach for Ultimate power switch, to switch it off.

It was another 2 hours later when Water of love came back.

Oct 16, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #6,821 of 9,894
Hello,
a nice relaxed session with the Ultimate this evening with a nice glass of red wine.
Switched to Mundorf Sgo,6BW4 +12At7 JHS Sylvania,El34 Sophia Electric with the new cable and the world is just fine despite a stressful working day.
And no, it's not the alcohol talking.

Great combo, I wouldn't have thought it would work well.
Warm enough,lush,punchy and nice and relaxed but powerful enough in all areas.

I'm slowly getting used to the Mundorf and can enjoy it.
I think it has settled down in the meantime, after a good 350 hours of playing time it does a good job with all the rest.

The combination makes me forget the Ray 12Au7 completely, it is definitely better than the Ray on the first notes.

@UntilThen your impressions of the Milfex confirm what I suspected and read a bit on the web.
It's also nice to see that you're almost past the middle with your burn in.
It occurs to me that you have hardly tested any 12Au7 tubes in the Ultimate.there are a few treasures to be discovered there that are worthwhile, even though there is a little less Mu amplification.😇

Oct 16, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #6,822 of 9,894
It occurs to me that you have hardly tested any 12Au7 tubes in the Ultimate.there are a few treasures to be discovered there that are worthwhile, even though there is a little less Mu amplification.😇

I only use Brimar 12au7 long plates and Ken Rad 6sn7gt black glass and Raytheon 7N7 briefly. With so many other good drivers, they took a back seat. It's not just the gain. Nothing to do with gain at all because all you have to do on Ultimate is to turn up the volume and that it has plenty of. There are just better drivers and I don't mean Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton. :)

Even if I have Tung Sol 6sn7gt bgrp and Sylvania 6sn7w metal base, the other 'S' tier drivers are just simply better - imho and ymmv.

Oct 16, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #6,824 of 9,894
I only use Brimar 12au7 long plates and Ken Rad 6sn7gt black glass and Raytheon 7N7 briefly. With so many other good drivers, they took a back seat. It's not just the gain. Nothing to do with gain at all because all you have to do on Ultimate is to turn up the volume and that it has plenty of. There are just better drivers and I don't mean Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton. :)

Even if I have Tung Sol 6sn7gt bgrp and Sylvania 6sn7w metal base, the other 'S' tier drivers are just simply better - imho and ymmv.
Don't forget Michael Schuhmacher,😁.
You might be right that you can move into the background.
Nevertheless, there could be some 12at/au7 where maybe one or the other 6sn7/6sl7/6j5 will look old.
But I am in the process of getting hold of a Mullard Ecc35.
Then I might change my mind again 😇.
In the end, 12au/at/ax 7 is still cheap before you eventually pay the price of 6sn7.
Sylvania 12at7 jhs and 6bw4 are definitely recommended for a lush clear yet open sound with the Mundorf cap.✌️✌️✌️✌️
I have already read good things about your Brimar 12au7.

Oct 16, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #6,825 of 9,894
Don't forget Michael Schuhmacher,😁.
You might be right that you can move into the background.
Nevertheless, there could be some 12at/au7 where maybe one or the other 6sn7/6sl7/6j5 will look old.
But I am in the process of getting hold of a Mullard Ecc35.
Then I might change my mind again 😇.
In the end, 12au/at/ax 7 is still cheap before you eventually pay the price of 6sn7.
Sylvania 12at7 jhs and 6bw4 are definitely recommended for a lush clear yet open sound with the Mundorf cap.✌️✌️✌️✌️
I have already read good things about your Brimar 12au7.

A 6J5 is the predecessor of 12AU7. That is why if you love 12AU7, you will also love 6J5. :) Eric said that the 6J5 is his first ever tube.

I'm going to quote Tom-S from Bottlehead Crack, on the CV1135, DET20, VR135, etc tubes. MU of 21 but sound much stronger to my ears. When you try these rabbit ears, you will like it too.

Follow this link and scroll down to « Reply #2001 on: October 12, 2019, 10:43:58 PM »
https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=663.1995

Users who are viewing this thread

Back