Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Oct 12, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #6,766 of 9,894
Mordy, the Mazda 6N7G (Visseaux) is a splendid sounding driver.

IMG_7968.jpg

Oct 12, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #6,767 of 9,894
Well I just took hold of the (interim) MiniSilver UltimatE while my gold is being built.

All I can say "why the hell didn't I swing by here earlier??????????"

Honestly, apart from looking magnificent and feeling like a Sherman tank, it honestly sounds magnificent!! And this is with stock tubes ***...........

The bass slam is great, imaging, clarity, 0 noise floor, it does everything so well My HEK Stealths seem like they were made for this thing, and my JM Audio closed backs are just as good on it!!!

Eric is certainly one clever SOB.

I will post some pictures when I receive my new one in a week or so.

Loving being part of this family. let me tell you!

Oct 12, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #6,768 of 9,894
Well I just took hold of the (interim) MiniSilver UltimatE while my gold is being built.

All I can say "why the hell didn't I swing by here earlier??????????"

Honestly, apart from looking magnificent and feeling like a Sherman tank, it honestly sounds magnificent!! And this is with stock tubes ***...........

The bass slam is great, imaging, clarity, 0 noise floor, it does everything so well My HEK Stealths seem like they were made for this thing, and my JM Audio closed backs are just as good on it!!!

Eric is certainly one clever SOB.

I will post some pictures when I receive my new one in a week or so.

Loving being part of this family. let me tell you!

That is the greatest endorsement Ultimate has had...... apart from me of course. :ksc75smile:

That Mini Silver Ultimate was my 1st Ultimate back in March / April 2023. Eric then bought it back from me so I could get my Junior Wooden Ultimate, which then gave way to the Super Gold Ultimate that I have now.

So be careful because eventually you will move up the Ultimate ladder .......... ultimately.

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #6,769 of 9,894
That is the greatest endorsement Ultimate has had...... apart from me of course. :ksc75smile:

That Mini Silver Ultimate was my 1st Ultimate back in March / April 2023. Eric then bought it back from me so I could get my Junior Wooden Ultimate, which then gave way to the Super Gold Ultimate that I have now.

So be careful because eventually you will move up the Ultimate ladder .......... ultimately.
Haha - seriously impressed.

And hope that ladder's only small - I'm pretty happy being on the bottom rung for now......I say that now but really, I have NO self control lol..........

1697163388736.png

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #6,771 of 9,894
This is my ladder. :) Should have kept all 3 versions.

Step 1
IMG_6111.jpg

Step 2
IMG_6403.jpg

Step 3
IMG_6813.jpg
Very nice (all 3!!!). You've probably explained A BILLION And 17 times but what does your current one have that older ones didn't. Looks amazing!!

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #6,772 of 9,894
I will explain one billion and 18 times now. What is one more time?

MiniJuniorSuper
Mini Ultimate
timE output transformers
Test Points (black and white)
2 x rca input plus selector switch
Speakers output and speaker on/off switch
Switchcraft 1/4" headphone output
Stock sockets, rca input, KMart volume pot
6SN7 / 6SL7 base socket
Russian k40y-9 capacitors
Blue LED
Wooden chassis Ultimate
Silke output transformers
2 x rca and 1 x xlr input plus selector switch
Black Neutrik xlr headphone output
Upgraded Teflon sockets, rca input, ALPS Blue Velvet volume pot
6SN7 / 6SL7 base socket
Mundorf MCap Supreme Silver Gold Oil
Mundorf Supreme Silver solder
Blue LED

Dual caps optional
Super Gold Ultimate
Preamp out
Gold Switchcraft 1/4" headphone output
6SN7 / 6SL7 base socket
2 x 6J5 / L63 base sockets
Mundorf MCap Supreme Silver Gold Oil and Miflex kpcu-01 capacitors
Switch for driver input select
Switch for dual caps select
Green LED

Oct 12, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #6,773 of 9,894
I will explain one billion and 18 times now. What is one more time?

MiniJuniorSuper
Mini Ultimate
timE output transformers
2 x rca input plus selector switch
Stock sockets, rca input, KMart volume pot
6SN7 / 6SL7 base socket
Russian k40y-9 capacitors
Blue LED
Wooden chassis Ultimate
6SN7 / 6SL7 base socket
Mundorf MCap Supreme Silver Gold Oil
Blue LED

Dual caps optional
Super Gold Ultimate
Preamp out
Gold Switchcraft 1/4" headphone output
6SN7 / 6SL7 base socket
2 x 6J5 / L63 base sockets
Mundorf MCap Supreme Silver Gold Oil and Miflex kpcu-01 capacitors
Switch for driver input select
Switch for dual caps select
Green LED
Thanks for that mate - much appreciated!

Oct 13, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #6,774 of 9,894
Fair enough and I do hope you get that tube. I was just sharing what I was warned from a reliable source.
Matt on the 11th you said " I would buy it but it's stated there that the seller won't ship to Australia." on the 12th You didn't actually share what you were warned from a reliable source, you just suggested i may not get the same tube pictured. Its a shame your reliable source didn't come forward earlier with the information. I may be a bit slow here but why would your reliable source imply there were issues with this guy when you had no intention of buying as he stated he didn't post to Australia? Anyway his reputation has obviously NOT been tarnished by others as a 5/5,4.9/5, 5/5, 5/5 seems pretty good to me. I have every confidence in the guy. Time will tell i guess.
I will let you all know what arrives but meanwhile note the warning from Matt and his source.

Oct 13, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #6,775 of 9,894
Matt on the 11th you said " I would buy it but it's stated there that the seller won't ship to Australia." on the 12th You didn't actually share what you were warned from a reliable source, you just suggested i may not get the same tube pictured. Its a shame your reliable source didn't come forward earlier with the information. I may be a bit slow here but why would your reliable source imply there were issues with this guy when you had no intention of buying as he stated he didn't post to Australia? Anyway his reputation has obviously NOT been tarnished by others as a 5/5,4.9/5, 5/5, 5/5 seems pretty good to me. I have every confidence in the guy. Time will tell i guess.
I will let you all know what arrives but meanwhile note the warning from Matt and his source.

I share on the 11th but my reliable source only contacted me on the 12th. Do you think I lie to you? Someone who drove 2 hours to deliver your Ultimate personally to you? Someone who helped you all along?

Don't matter. Let's close this topic. Not worth my time on it.

Oct 13, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #6,776 of 9,894
So the Vh Audio Pulsar II cable is at a little over 300h just the beginning of where 300-400h burn in is recommended.

And it is a class of its own.it plays deep,the bass is of excellent quality and also sets in quite early.everything is very clean and smooth.
The midrange is full-bodied and juicy without any harshness.the listening area doesn't have a millimetre of sharpness even at higher volumes.
Separations of instruments as well as the impact are completely there with the right punch.
The timing is also on point with the details and dynamics are just as on point.
Decay is right without anything to say and completely in tune.
Sound is warm open airy without colouring or adding anything artificial, plays clear and very refined, stays musical and also organic.
All this on the Vcap Cutf,as a pairing it refines it again a bit more than without this cable.Here again it seems a bit polished but on the good side.Imagine you polish your car and give it 2-3 coats of wax.
The tubes were El81 Ultron with the Apos Ray 12au7 and Bel Ez80.
Later I switched to the EL34 Sophia Electric and left the rest.

From an emotional point of view, the cable completely pulls me into the music and I always want to hear more and you just dive in. I tried 3 or 4 times to end the session and I couldn't. Because I was so addicted to it.
Even with only one song and then 30 minutes are over again.
It enhances the Ultimate again and makes it one class more complete.
More people are looking for the Ultimate, you just want more Ultimate like the petrol from Aral with the exception that you don't have to refuel it.

Let's talk about the Mundorf:
I had a hard time with it for a long time.
With the cable, it's more bearable for me here from a personal point of view and it's slowly becoming more fun.
I have less to complain about now than before and I definitely like it better this way.
My impressions in the combination are pretty much the same as described above, only it is 1-2 levels good under the Vcap maybe one level more.it is however all there and more than before just not in the abundance and quality as the Vcap offers.
The Vcap is much more tangible in the music with more grip and you have a clear picture in front of you.
But everything is there, the bass is more qualitative and comes in earlier. The midrange is smoother and takes out some of the sharpness but stays sharp enough that it's not too much.
Details shine through much better, and the timing improves again to name a few impressions.
What I can say is that instead of spending $200 on a pair of tubes, buy the Pulsar II with ETI Reasearch RCA plugs and you will experience an upgrade that will complete your tube collection and enjoy it all over again.
It takes the whole quality up a notch without necessarily being expensive if you are looking for a serious upgrade this would be the way to go.

About the Apos Ray tube:
It's doing really well so far.I haven't had the chance to compare with Nos as a driver tube yet.
I like it too, it has a certain charm and presents music a bit differently.
The only thing that sticks out is that I don't like it so much at the moment.
The midrange/vocals are a bit distant.
My personal taste would be a bit more intimacy, I still hope that when the tube has more hours on it the whole thing will come closer.
Otherwise, it does a very good job in the Ultimate, I must say.
Even the detail area surprised me here how well it comes across.
And that on both caps.
I don't have a bad impression of this tube, it fits well with the Ultimate so far, even if the gain is a bit lower.

Oct 13, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #6,777 of 9,894
If you like modern acoustic swing, with growling wind instruments, this is an album tailor made for the Ultimate. I’m in love like a teenager!

Oct 13, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #6,778 of 9,894
So the Vh Audio Pulsar II cable is at a little over 300h just the beginning of where 300-400h burn in is recommended.

And it is a class of its own.it plays deep,the bass is of excellent quality and also sets in quite early.everything is very clean and smooth.
The midrange is full-bodied and juicy without any harshness.the listening area doesn't have a millimetre of sharpness even at higher volumes.
Separations of instruments as well as the impact are completely there with the right punch.
The timing is also on point with the details and dynamics are just as on point.
Decay is right without anything to say and completely in tune.
Sound is warm open airy without colouring or adding anything artificial, plays clear and very refined, stays musical and also organic.
All this on the Vcap Cutf,as a pairing it refines it again a bit more than without this cable.Here again it seems a bit polished but on the good side.Imagine you polish your car and give it 2-3 coats of wax.
The tubes were El81 Ultron with the Apos Ray 12au7 and Bel Ez80.
Later I switched to the EL34 Sophia Electric and left the rest.

From an emotional point of view, the cable completely pulls me into the music and I always want to hear more and you just dive in. I tried 3 or 4 times to end the session and I couldn't. Because I was so addicted to it.
Even with only one song and then 30 minutes are over again.
It enhances the Ultimate again and makes it one class more complete.
More people are looking for the Ultimate, you just want more Ultimate like the petrol from Aral with the exception that you don't have to refuel it.

Let's talk about the Mundorf:
I had a hard time with it for a long time.
With the cable, it's more bearable for me here from a personal point of view and it's slowly becoming more fun.
I have less to complain about now than before and I definitely like it better this way.
My impressions in the combination are pretty much the same as described above, only it is 1-2 levels good under the Vcap maybe one level more.it is however all there and more than before just not in the abundance and quality as the Vcap offers.
The Vcap is much more tangible in the music with more grip and you have a clear picture in front of you.
But everything is there, the bass is more qualitative and comes in earlier. The midrange is smoother and takes out some of the sharpness but stays sharp enough that it's not too much.
Details shine through much better, and the timing improves again to name a few impressions.
What I can say is that instead of spending $200 on a pair of tubes, buy the Pulsar II with ETI Reasearch RCA plugs and you will experience an upgrade that will complete your tube collection and enjoy it all over again.
It takes the whole quality up a notch without necessarily being expensive if you are looking for a serious upgrade this would be the way to go.

About the Apos Ray tube:
It's doing really well so far.I haven't had the chance to compare with Nos as a driver tube yet.
I like it too, it has a certain charm and presents music a bit differently.
The only thing that sticks out is that I don't like it so much at the moment.
The midrange/vocals are a bit distant.
My personal taste would be a bit more intimacy, I still hope that when the tube has more hours on it the whole thing will come closer.
Otherwise, it does a very good job in the Ultimate, I must say.
Even the detail area surprised me here how well it comes across.
And that on both caps.
I don't have a bad impression of this tube, it fits well with the Ultimate so far, even if the gain is a bit lower.
What is the Vh Audio Pulsar II cable type ? RCA, XLR , Coax ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back