Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Apr 21, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #47 of 9,892
Day 3 of Destiny... top and back panel drilled.

DSCN9044.JPG

DSCN9045.JPG

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #48 of 9,892
Apr 21, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #50 of 9,892
Not unless I want a GE transformer and that will come in another chassis 🤗
If you do that - you HAVE to call the 2nd chassis with the GE transformer... (you guessed it) Bcowen 🤣
The "Bcowen Destiny" amp.

Apr 23, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #53 of 9,892
Nice pics, day by day progress story is really comfortable :thumbsup: to Erik and Ut to share !
Will you have two speaker impedance 4Ω / 8Ω and then use your adapter cable to plug headphone to the best tap or will you also ask for headphone plugs with High/Low Z switch ?

Apr 23, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #54 of 9,892
Will you have two speaker impedance 4Ω / 8Ω and then use your adapter cable to plug headphone to the best tap or will you also ask for headphone plugs with High/Low Z switch ?
The speaker taps have 4 and 8 ohms. I intend to use it strictly for speakers even though I have the speaker taps cable - which is pretty good quality - the cable that is.

On top of the chassis near the front, I will have Neutrik 1/4 inch and xlr 4-pin headphone outputs - both set to 4 ohms. For headphone listening, I'll be using these headphone output. I told Eric my priority is a very quiet amp in addition to sounding good. Hence he has put in 2 chokes !

For speakers, this 300b amp will have 8 watts. Don't know about headphone output. Oh it will also have a speaker off switch so I can listen to just headphone and still leave the speakers connected.

I'm just very curious to compare Odyssey and Destiny when they are both completed. About to purchase the Audeze LCD4 now and it will sound great with these 2 tube amps as well as Oblivion. Still loving my He1000se very much and these amps will further enhance the sonic experience of my headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #58 of 9,892
These CMC made in china tube sockets look pretty good. Reminds me of the Studio Six tube sockets. Smooth and great for tube rolling. If not for the EL11 sockets, I would have gone for these sockets in Odyssey but that is an amp where I was prepared to go the distance whatever the cost.

Destiny is a different ball game. One of Eric's trademark is to produce great sounding amps using cheap and reliable parts, thereby producing an amp that is very reasonable in cost. Here he has surprised me in also producing an amp that looks very good. :)

I already know how it sound because I spend 2 weeks with 2 of Eric's 300b amps, both of different design principles. I was impressed enough to get him to make me one after the week's audition.

Besides you can also talk to him about using a different chassis and to make it even more gorgeous but of course it has to be reasonable for him to make it. I don't think I can find a cheaper and yet sounding this good 300b amp, short of getting one of those nasties from made in china.

Apr 24, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #59 of 9,892
@UntilThen - the guy is quick!!!
Other than @L0rdGwyn - every other amp builder takes weeks to finish an amp. Yours will be done in less than 1 week, or so it seems! :scream:

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #60 of 9,892
You're right Zac, Eric is quick but he does this full time (or rather in his retirement years) and has a small clientele. Eric has been building amps all through the years. Being old school, he has no flashy website but instead relying on ebay to sell his amps. Most of the amps are not ready made but made to order. Occasionally he has a few amps ready made which he puts up on ebay to sell. Part of the advantage of getting Eric to make the amps for those local, is that he supports the amps for life. How often do you see that? Clients are small but those that had amps made by him are loyal and have just amazing experience with Eric all through the build process. Right from the start of the project, he gives you a project proposal and an initial down payment is required. Thereafter, you get daily updates from him via emails. Even before the start of the project, there have been hundreds of emails between him and me discussing what I want and he will counter with his suggestions. In his prime and younger days, he has produced some very interesting and lovely amps for clients.

This is an example using Hashimoto trannies and one that I love. Most of these special projects, his special customers organised the chassis because they are professional spray painters or wood makers. Eric can and will make to your requirements but probably not now in his retirement years. This is a telling story and one I find most touching. https://www.mcchanson.com/

In his words...
It will eventually come… When I am too old to go on. It will be a sad day.
But McChanson amps will continue to sing loudly and sweetly...

Strangely and humbly, he told me not to promote it too much because he cannot handle big volume orders as he is one man and advancing in years. In my time of interactions with amp builders, Eric has a sense of humor and has certainly make this journey an incredible and satisfying one for me. He has my respect and admiration.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.ca8a2bd1659d66143939156270db43d3.jpg

This one is using marzE transformers, including interstage transformers. It's a 300b amp similar to mine.
7B4A36EC-3A89-4D53-84CF-89EACC55DE3F.jpeg.d6eb2d3a31f107bb957fdf832894cd0c.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back