Eric Clapton Unplugged question
Jun 15, 2008 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Gautama

1000+ Head-Fier
In the beginning of "Alberta", and Eric says "Hang on, hang on" and the crowd laughs..

What happened?

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 13
Wow, and I thought YouTube was useless!
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 13
I got this CD and RUN DMC - Raising Hell at my first swap meet a few years back for $5! I need to listen to this more on the cans though, it sounds amazing and Im not really a fan.

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #8 of 13
Anyone who is using vinyl needs to check out the German import pressing of this album. It is really top notch. I got mine from musicdirect.com
A Must own, for your vinyl collection.

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 13
Truly a great album, but a tad overexposed at the time. I remember having a beer with a friend of mine who taught guitar. "If I have to teach one more kid how to play the acoustic version of Layla, I'm gonna die," he said.

I got to the point where I couldn't listen to it anymore. Then I heard it again recently while cruising the FM dial; it sounded great. To me, the sign of a great song has always been its ability to hold up under radical reinvention. The acoustic version of Layla is poles apart from the equally classic original, but as soon as the vocal kicks in, you recognize that sturdy song.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 13
Yeah it was played to death on radio and MTV. Especially Tears in Heaven. My step dad had the tab and was learning some of the songs too. I like the acoustic Layla better. Maybe because I dont like how the original version trails off and rambles too long.

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here, not really a big fan of the original for the same reasons.

Well, that's what makes the world go 'round. To me, the original is one of the definitive extended jams in rock music. I first heard that track when I was in the eighth grade (that would have been 1973-1974), and I still get shivers listening to Clapton and Allman playing off of each other. And the piano-led section, featuring the tragic Jim Gordon, is a perfect release of the tension built in the initial, hard-rock part of the track. The fluid gutar melody over that beautiful, elegiac piano approaches the sublime.

As I said, I think the acoustic version is a brilliant reimagining of the song. But the original is, to me, a stone-cold classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back