Ergonomics has gone to hell
Mar 10, 2008 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

novasol

Head-Fier
Is it just me or does anything else think that ergonomics is getting worse and worse with each new generation of mp3 players? The touch sensitive controls that are all the rage just infuriate me. Even Sansa with it's push to click controls put a glowing blue ring around just to keep your fingers from actually depressing the buttons properly...man

I decided to go check out some new players this weekend at Future Shop(Canadian electronic store)...they have them all on display with chargers and earphones. Looking for a companion to my Sony 818. Trying out the Samsung T-10 and just trying to change the settings was frustrating..the touch controls were so sensitive and sometimes registered double presses....trying to set the EQ was an exercise in futility.

I really, really dislike the rotary ipod style center button so many are adopting. The knob is so multipurpose that you can do the wrong thing just by touching the middle of your player. After playing with about a dozen, I was so happy to go back to the excellent tactile buttons of my Sony but very disappointed that I couldn't find something I enjoyed using at all. I've been yearning for a more analytical sounding player and realize that I'm going to have to go back a few years or to buy unseen something I may like(Iaudio X5, Toshiba t400, Iaudio U5, MPIO ONE) ...and I won't even be able to test drive it....sigh

Just ranting and feeling let down..I'm going to go play CD's on my Sony PCDP and mash buttons/twirl knobs like crazy
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 8
I have a Toshiba t400, I think you'd be happy with it, controls are simple and easy to use, sound quality is excellent.

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 8
Really? I think the iPod's controls are the epitome of user friendliness. I think if you are a visual type person, the iPod is probably the best. I'm not sure what the best tactile player would be... so many companies make the terrible mistake of giving buttons double functions depending on button press length/morse code input.

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 8
not only mp3 players - cell phones as well! I blame iphone for this!
I'm also concerned about lack of development of larger capacity mp3 players (besides ipod), and 64GB flash isn't going to come cheap.

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 8
You would probably be happy with a Toshiba T400. I am extremely pleased with mine in most every respect, & I am very picky about ergonomics. I like tactile controls. My Sansa Clip is great too! SQ & controls are well done & a 4 GB version is out. I hated the Sansa E200 series wheel & buttons & the newer wheel that the View has is not my favorite, not to mention the Sansa scrolling Icon UI. I see so many people who will navigate complicated user interfaces without even a thought. Poor design infuriates me & I won't use a product that is awkward to operate. As far as visual/touch UI is concerned, I don't understand why it's OK to have to look at the product to do even the simplest function. It is easy to get sucked in by the sexy touch UI, but I know that, if I took it home, I would be disappointed as soon as the "cool" wore off. I want to listen to music, not spend my time playing around with a cool looking high tech gadget. They are cool though aren't they.
Just go to the store & play with the sexy ones, but take home the one that actually has buttons on it.

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by novasol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Snip Even Sansa with it's push to click controls put a glowing blue ring around just to keep your fingers from actually depressing the buttons properly...manSnip
biggrin.gif

If you are talking about the Sansa Clip, the glowing blue ring is flush with the face of the unit. No problem pushing the buttons as with the Sansa E200 series.

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by omega52 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are talking about the Sansa Clip, the glowing blue ring is flush with the face of the unit. No problem pushing the buttons as with the Sansa E200 series.

I meant the E200 series..the Clip is the only one I like, picking up a 4gb soon for gym duty.

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 8
i will have to admit, since mp3 players have been introduced they have either been too unwieldly with oddly placed buttons and shapes or have too few tactile sections that make using them difficult.

ipod as far as size and shape are concerned seems very usable but ifyou don't like to take it out of your pocket, then it becomes tricky. the d2 had a great option to change the volume buttons to track forward and back or still change the volume whilst on hold. however, the function to move the track changes to the volume buttons whilst in hold made the think skip tracks all the time.

the ipod, with its flush wheel and finger sensor (you cannot change volume without a nice sloppy finger on it, makes pocket use much more possible but not as nice as a proper buttons.

i think there are many ways to think about it. with buttons, it is much harder to navigate a huge file. say armin van buuren's a state of trance episode 300 that is 5 hours long. if you have buttons and just want to listen from 3 hours in, hold the button for 30 minutes and you will get there. with the d2, you just have to have a very fine nail to pinpoint the spot. i think ipod wheel editions have the best design whereby you just have to move the finger around a few times to get really anywhere, but again, you have to take it out.

for simplicity, pmp and audio players have a hard time as people want more and more options all the time. in order to control them, you could use the system sony used on their old players with remote and depressing different combinations to achieve navigation but that system while all buttons required a degree in memory or just a great sense for puzzles to use in a hurry.

honestly, i find that the good audio players of today that have been made with design in mind work much better than my old md and diskman and walkman cassette and dcc and dat players i used to use.

the new sony (im on a roll) has great tactile controls but you still must use the menu and if you ever want to find a spot in a song in a hurry... well that will never happen. similarly the use of hold to turn the player on and off (or out of sleep sorry) seems silly but it is a system that works.

honestly, i think players have taken good steps. the touch is a great working player and other than precise tracking location and seeking, i find it as a player of its size (large) wonderful to use other than that one point. the fact that there are fewer areas for grit to find its way into and fewer bottons to break, i am pleased with the new machines greatly (that is if they are not like meizu 'simplicity' that often seems you take a few steps back to go forward).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back