ER6i's and burn in
Aug 15, 2006 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Lavalamp

100+ Head-Fier
The postman just arrived with these little babies.

I have had a quick listen. Detail is good, bass is better than I was expecting. However the highs seem very bright and harsh.

Does this improve with burn in?

It might be my source. I've had to dust off my old mini disc player as my MP3 player is at work.

Aug 15, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 14
I didn't hear any burn-in type effects on my ER-6i. I think you're just hearing Ety highs. Personally I have never found them harsh - to me they just sound clear and wonderful - but they're not to everyone's taste.

If you're coming from something a little darker - I see HD580 in your profile - then the Etys may just seem harsh initially because they're brighter than what you're used to. It's very possible that you'll acclimate to the Ety sound if you give yourself time.

The highs will dampen significantly over time as the filters get clogged up and need to be replaced, but I'm sure that's not the sort of burn-in you were hoping for.

Aug 15, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 14
I've had my ER-6i for over a year and a half now and the sound hasn't changed in the slightest. They sound great out of a 4G iPod, however minimal the bass quanitity is!

Aug 15, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 14
Had my pair of 6i for about 6 months and haven't noticed a change in their sound.

I too found the detail in the highs to be insane (I liked it), but over time, you adapt and eventually, as your subconscious ceases to be mesmerized by the highs, you start hearing more bass. I guess something did burn-in after all.

I did notice a big change related to the ear tips:

When I first started, I found the triple flanges to be too big to be comfy -- great seal, but seemed too tight and went too deep into my ear.

I went to the larger double flanges (ety will send you samples of their tips for testing) and have been wearing those for a while. Over time, the double flanges have lost some of their elasticity and my ears have adapted to the point that the triples now feel fine and give a better seal.

They are great IEMs. Enjoy them!

Aug 15, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 14
The er-6is do NOT burn in. Your ears will, but they will not.

I contacted Ety to ask questions about them shortly after receiving a pair. I was told that due to the design of the balanced armature driver, there is no burn in effect. I was then able to back this up by personal experience.

I was one of the early adopters to grab the er-6i when they came on the market. The first design series had the unit covered with a clear silicone material making it very easy to grip. Unfortunately it also effectively shortened the sound tube. The result being that it was not uncommon for tips to be left in people ears when the headphone was removed. I had mine for about 3-5 months before getting the new version. On a side note, Etymotic was very helpful, and replaced them with the updated model without any hassle, even though I didn't buy from them... anyway. When I got the new ones, my first thought was "will they sound different being brand new?" They didn't! It was exactly the same as they pair I had put hundreds of hours on.

It was nice having both pairs side by side to A/B with and really see if there was a difference.

-Jeff

Aug 15, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 14
I am a big Shure fan (E2, E3, E4) that bought a pair of ER-6i out of curiosity to check out the Ety sound. Straight out of a Nano I think they sound fantastic! Actually a little more bass than I expected after reading hundreds of bass-weak posts about them. The ears definitely adjust. I was delighted to discover that the Shure soft flex sleeves fit perfectly and give the deepest sound impact among all the tips I tried. I really have nothing negative to say about them for $90 (using unamped out of a Nano). Bass is adequate for me to the point that when I put E4's back in my ears THEIR bass blows my head off,
basshead.gif
at least initially until my ears adjust.

Aug 15, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by schmoo

I went to the larger double flanges (ety will send you samples of their tips for testing) and have been wearing those for a while. Over time, the double flanges have lost some of their elasticity and my ears have adapted to the point that the triples now feel fine and give a better seal.

can you tell me/us more about how to get them send you the double flanges? did you send them an e-mail? did you call them?

Aug 15, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 14
Email with Etymotic usually takes a few days to get a response in my experience. However if you just call their support number, they'll take care of you right away.

-Jeff

Aug 15, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
none too impressed with my er6i's; ksc75's sound a lot better to me; the cost of noise reduction i guess

as you're a k701 user, i thought you would understand the mids and the detail from your etys

Aug 15, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS
Email with Etymotic usually takes a few days to get a response in my experience. However if you just call their support number, they'll take care of you right away.

-Jeff

thanks but i think i don't want to put on hold so i'll just send them a mail.

Aug 16, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavalamp
The postman just arrived with these little babies.

I have had a quick listen. Detail is good, bass is better than I was expecting. However the highs seem very bright and harsh.

Does this improve with burn in?

It might be my source. I've had to dust off my old mini disc player as my MP3 player is at work.

Thanks all.

After more listening, some fiddling, and perfecting the seal of the foam tips, the harshness has disappeared.

This is my first IEM experience, and it is better than I anticipated.

Next query, to what extent are these improved by amplification?

Aug 16, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
can you tell me/us more about how to get them send you the double flanges? did you send them an e-mail? did you call them?

I sent an email to their customer service and mentioned that I wasn't sure which version would work for me and if they could send me one (not a pair) of each. They sent me 1 pair of all the tips they sell for testing.

Great service from what appears to be a great company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back