ER6i vs UM1
Jan 31, 2006 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

b-sides

100+ Head-Fier
i've been doing a lot of research and i know that the UM1 will have a fuller sound with rolled off highs and the ER6i may sound slightly thin but has more extension in the highs. i have narrowed down my choice of portable earphones to these two. i have not been able to test a pair of UM1s, and i am leaning towards them ATM. can anyone make a direct comparison? if you've heard both, which one do you prefer and why? i tend to listen to indie rock and chillout/trip hop music.

Jan 31, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 11
Sorry not an answer but am glad that b-sides posted this thread. I am also in the same position as b-sides and would like anyone with hands-on experience on them both to help us out.

Jan 31, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethie
Sorry not an answer but am glad that b-sides posted this thread. I am also in the same position as b-sides and would like anyone with hands-on experience on them both to help us out.

Me too thats why I replied..... I'm 90 % certain I'm going with the UM1's... Heard great things about them...

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 11
Well i sold my ER6i because of its low bass but i bought another pair because i missed its isolation and clean sound. UM1 has its lower treble missing to my ears. The ER6i's upper treble is little MIA too when compared to my CK7.

It depends on what you want. Musical sound = UM1. Analytical sound = ER6i.

Jan 31, 2006 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by afbug
Well i sold my ER6i because of its low bass but i bought another pair because i missed its isolation and clean sound. UM1 has its lower treble missing to my ears. The ER6i's upper treble is little MIA too when compared to my CK7.

It depends on what you want. Musical sound = UM1. Analytical sound = ER6i.

How does one tell the differance between analytical sound vs Musical sound? And how is the isolation with the UM1's?

Feb 1, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 11
analytical sound is more cold and precise, accurate if you will. musical sound is engaging and generally warm and somewhat bassy, usually at the expense of some clarity

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 11
Hmmm...so what are you two (b-sides and R MaN) getting? I'm sitting here contemplating over the UM1 and the Etys. They both have the same price from earphonesolutions.com. I was thinking of getting the UM1 since it doesn't have the extra cost of the Etys (ear filters and that)

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 11
I was trying to chose between the same two models a few weeks ago, and I went with the ER-6i's. I don't regret my decision at all. The bass is definitely there, as long as you get a good seal. It isn't a muddy, overpowering bass like what you get with SONY MDR-EX71's. It is clear and precise, but you definitely can feel it. The people who say it is non existant must not be getting a good seal.

I got mine at Buy.com, and was able to sign up for a credit card to get an extra $25 off. That was part of what helped me make my decision. I got the ER-6i's for $40 less than the UM1's.

I'm sure I would have been happy with either of the two. After hearing the ER-6i though, I kinda wish I waited and saved up for ER-4p's. I mean if the ER-6i's sound this good, the 4p's must sound amazing.

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by R MaN
How does one tell the differance between analytical sound vs Musical sound? And how is the isolation with the UM1's?

The differences are explained by b-sides. To me, the UM1 has more prominant details in the midrange. Isolation is highly personal and depending on the tip you used. I can achieve ER6i's levels of isolation with a UM1/2.

I very much prefer the braided cords of the Westone. They reduce microphonics a great deal especially when worn correctly. For the ER6i, i've to use the supplied shirt clip, if not, its a disaster.
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethie
Hmmm...so what are you two (b-sides and R MaN) getting? I'm sitting here contemplating over the UM1 and the Etys. They both have the same price from earphonesolutions.com. I was thinking of getting the UM1 since it doesn't have the extra cost of the Etys (ear filters and that)

UM1's going to order in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back