ER6i VS iM716 mods and tips
Nov 17, 2008 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Alai

500+ Head-Fier
So I was wondering what types of tips and mods are recommended for the ER6i and iM716? I wanted to get one of these for my sister (and I am pretty sure these are the best for her out of all of them). She has average size ear canals, as far as I can tell.

And I also saw there were mods for the iM716 to make them better. Are these mods hard? Do they warrant the purchase of the iM716 at $15 less and then doing the mods, over the purchase of the ER6i?

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 15
The im716 really needs to be both "depodded" and used with an amp (or a very powerful DAP) to make it sound better than the ER-6i.

I'd just get her the 6i, and get a pack of medium Shure olives, since she's liable to never use them if she's stuck with the tri-flanges. They are ear-raping torture devices, not IEM tips.

Edit: Also get black ER-6is, because the white ones will turn a very sickly shade of yellow from exposure to sunlight and/or heat.

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 15
Hmmm... Well, I was thinking about giving her a Mini 3. Would that tip the balance back into the 716 favour? But yeah, I don't want to inconvenience her by making her change tips too much. Will the ER6i still do well with a Mini 3, enough to compete with iM716 with Mini 3?

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 15
There are some people(or was it only one person while the others only experience pain?) on this forums who damaged their ear recently from using er6i... I may be paranoid but I would no longer recommend it to people I care about.

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by st4r0c3an /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some people(or was it only one person while the others only experience pain?) on this forums who damaged their ear recently from using er6i... I may be paranoid but I would no longer recommend it to people I care about.

Find a link and prove that it wasnt them not following directions/common sense?

Theyre 100% comfortable for me and I dont see how I could ever hurt myself with them.

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 15
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/pus...to-ear-377517/

That thread, haha. I am unable to judge if it is because of their inability to follow directions or other wise though the information that is provided. I had a hard time believing IEMs could cause any damage at all before reading that.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 15
Even with the smallest eartips available for the ER 6i (small biflanges) I cant push them into my ears far enough to lose them. If they have large ear canals which will let tips go a little deeper and lots of wax they havent cleaned, that could very well happen; it could also happen with any other IEM.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... Well, I was thinking about giving her a Mini 3. Would that tip the balance back into the 716 favour? But yeah, I don't want to inconvenience her by making her change tips too much. Will the ER6i still do well with a Mini 3, enough to compete with iM716 with Mini 3?

If she's anything like most girls I know (and myself included) the amp will probably collect dust on a dresser top.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #11 of 15
Lol. No my sister told me she's down to lug the amp IN her purse, since that's where her iPod is, anyways.

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 15
So... ER6i?

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #13 of 15
Well, you might consider Altec Lansing Im616, this is almost the same as IM716, but without sound changing "pod" (they are set in bass mode). Since there's no switch in the cable, the IM616's impedance is lot lower (24 ohm measured) so they're easier to drive from ipod and don't require an amp.
I think IM616 are better than ER6i. They sound fuller, thanks to little bit better bass (though, they are far from bassy iems). But you should buy comply foams or shure black olives for them, because stock tips sucks. Triflanges are not comfortable and foams are not so easy to put into ear.
So... my vote is for Altecs IM616 + 3rd party tips.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #14 of 15
Unless she's a girl geek and owns more electronics than u do, furget the amp.

And about the 6i damaging one's ears, do u even think about it b4r posting? but I digress, plenty of tips to try on for perfect fitting. That's like damning the whole car whe u can't be bothered to fit the right tires.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 15
Lol. Ok, yeah, I think I will go with ER6i since everyone complains about the vanilla iM716. ER6i with a pack of Shure olives it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back