er6i vs er6 vs e4c
Jul 5, 2005 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DigDub

Headphoneus Supremus
i currently have the er6i. i used to have the er6 but the cord broke. do they er6i and er6 sound similar? would it be worthy for me to buy the shure e4c? it will be used with a sony hd5 and i listen mainly to rock and some classical stuff. i like details and good bass.

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 9
The 6i is noticeably different, the mids and bass is more prominent relative to the treble.

The E4C is a definite worthy purchase, but you may actually find more happiness in the 6i if you are used to and like your 6's.

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
Are the E4c's not more expensive?

Yes, approx twice as much. If you consider the E4C's, also consider the ER4P's

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
The 6i is noticeably different, the mids and bass is more prominent relative to the treble.

The E4C is a definite worthy purchase, but you may actually find more happiness in the 6i if you are used to and like your 6's.

i do like the er6i but the tri-flange is not very comfortable for my ears and i do not like the foam sleeves either. i had the er6 and loved it a lot. but it broke long ago and i cannot recall what it sounds like but i did remember i loved the sound. i was so broken-hearted when it broke. does the er6 still have the cord where the right side is longer than the left? i prefer these kind of cord configuration. thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 9
Significantly more expensive. Especially when comparing the sale prices on the two items (I have seen the ER6i for $79 and the E4C for $189) and even more in MSRP. I agree with warpdriver about his assessment. Etymotics have a sound signature that is pretty different from every other manufacturer. Just to use an example, if you AB'ed the E4C's to the ER4P's the E4C's will seem a lot warmer, with more depth in the low end. It's all a matter of how it sounds to you though. So, my suggestion would be to take a listen to the E4's, and at that price point if you're an etymotic fan...the ER4's. Although, if you're happy with your ER6i's I suggest you stay with them...they're solid phones and if you are on head-fi enough, it's just a matter of time before you spring for some UE10's (like I did, doh!) or Sensas. Either way good luck in your search!

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 9
i found out the er6 has the Y cord now. so i'd rather stick to the er6i in this case. i saw the e4c in a shop and it looks pretty nice. the er4p is not in the consideration because of the braided wires (hey! i need to look presentable too!
tongue.gif
). maybe i should just wait for the black version of the e4c to come out.
tongue.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 9
If it's just the matter of braided cables, you might want to take a look athe studiophonics platinum 25 series at studiophonic .com (rebadged ER4's with non-braided cables as far as I can tell) there are some on e-bay for $220. I'm not saying this is the better choice, but for those with ety tuned ears the ER4's (or platinum 25's) might sound "cleaner" than most other iem's out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back