ER6i vs. ER-4P Bass
Sep 13, 2004 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Knocturnal

100+ Head-Fier
I used to own the ER-4P and while I loved the isolation, i just didnt think the bass cut it for the type of music I was listening to. However that was the first pair of good cans I had so maybe I was being a little to harsh on them. Im willing to give them another try. Im wondering if the bass on the ER6i is superior to the of the ER-4P. I listen to Everything but mostly rock, punk,emo and rap. I guess I should mention that I have Grado 225s and I love em. I need to get canal phones, should I try shure? Lots of questions...some answers would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 13, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 18
based on your musical preferences, the shure e5 would be awesome.

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 18
From my 40gb Euro-capped ipod, the bass on the er6-i and 4p is rather similar, perhaps a hair of a shade more forward on the er6-i (I'm just talking about bass here folks!)

Amped, it's a whole 'nother ballgame. The bass is very much more forward and has depth, but no muddiness (using Apple lossless). With a good amp, you shouldn't be sacrificing too much detail either. Not at all.

It's funny, but the 4p is better, but I enjoy the er6-i's a heck of a lot more. And that's saying something, because I enjoyed the 4p's. People who have both may know what I'm talking about, and may or may not agree.

Sep 14, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
From my 40gb Euro-capped ipod, the bass on the er6-i and 4p is rather similar, perhaps a hair of a shade more forward on the er6-i (I'm just talking about bass here folks!)

Amped, it's a whole 'nother ballgame. The bass is very much more forward and has depth, but no muddiness (using Apple lossless). With a good amp, you shouldn't be sacrificing too much detail either. Not at all.

It's funny, but the 4p is better, but I enjoy the er6-i's a heck of a lot more. And that's saying something, because I enjoyed the 4p's. People who have both may know what I'm talking about, and may or may not agree.

Please elaborate - what are you talking about? I have the 4Ps and was considering the ER6i for backups, a role currently held by my Shure E3s. The 4P is better, but you enjoy the ER6i more? Do you use the P->S cable with the 4Ps?

Sep 14, 2004 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 18
Got a pair of E5s here, lovin' it more and more
wink.gif

Like Jasper mentioned to me before, I find that source matters a lot with them.

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Hm. Are you saying that when both are amped (well), 6i bass improves lots more than 4P bass?

I've got 4P's and considering a portable amp with bass boost. I think about 2 dB level up in bass would be what I want out of 4P's (iPod bassboost is too much). With a good amp, will I get 2 dB more in bass and not need bass boost?

Sep 14, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

I'm in the same situation as you (liking the ER4 a lot but found the thin bottom end just didn't cut it for me) and definitely know what you're talking about, and in fact could hardly agree with you more. I haven't wanted to mention this to avoid the flames but for unamped use with a portable I think the ER6i are better than the ER4. The ER6i may not have quite the transparency and detail of the ER4 but they're very close, and the much improved bass floor in the ER6i makes for a more enjoyable listening experience. This may change with a high-end source and an amp, but otherwise I find the ER6i more satisfying. In fact I sometimes found the detail and emphasized high-end of the ER4 a little fatiguing, but not so with the ER6i... and did I mention the improved bass?

OK, I'm out of the closet now...

Sep 14, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
I'm in the same situation as you (liking the ER4 a lot but found the thin bottom end just didn't cut it for me) and definitely know what you're talking about, and in fact could hardly agree with you more. I haven't wanted to mention this to avoid the flames but for unamped use with a portable I think the ER6i are better than the ER4. The ER6i may not have quite the transparency and detail of the ER4 but they're very close, and the much improved bass floor in the ER6i makes for a more enjoyable listening experience. This may change with a high-end source and an amp, but otherwise I find the ER6i more satisfying. In fact I sometimes found the detail and emphasized high-end of the ER4 a little fatiguing, but not so with the ER6i... and did I mention the improved bass?

OK, I'm out of the closet now...

I was about to reply to the questions here and clarify myself a bit more, but you seemed to have done it for me. Yes, the 4p is better but I also find the extra detail to be fatiguing, and not really realistic anyway. Assuming both are amped, I prefer the er6i, at least with my portable setup. I haven't compared them on my home setup yet. I can live with the slight loss of detail, and slightly recessed high end, and that loss of the special er4 soundstage, in exchange for more bass authority while still retaining all the information you need to make music. In fact, for portable use, I prefer it that way.
smily_headphones1.gif

It sounds like you're giving up a heck of a lot, when in reality you aren't. When I say slight loss of detail, keep in mind these are Etymotics, and it's not exactly like listening to mud.
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Get a better source. :p

Well I would take my Nad C542 with me, but then I'd have to wheel a generator behind me, and I'd develop back problems.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 15, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Well I would take my Nad C542 with me, but then I'd have to wheel a generator behind me, and I'd develop back problems.
rolleyes.gif

Well, he didn't specify it was for home or portable use (I know, chance are, the latter). But I felt I had to say it anyway. Bite me. Literally.
biggrin.gif

BTW, knock, were you using the flanges or the foamies? The foamies are said to have better bass. Just a thought.

Sep 16, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Well, he didn't specify it was for home or portable use (I know, chance are, the latter). But I felt I had to say it anyway. Bite me. Literally.
biggrin.gif

BTW, knock, were you using the flanges or the foamies? The foamies are said to have better bass. Just a thought.

So you thread-crap just to ipod-bash, and to defend your mighty 4p's, nevermind that I have them as well. And have you ever heard the two headphones/sources to really compare them?
rolleyes.gif

But instead of expanding on this idea, of how specifically they are different, and what you prefer and why.. you're reply is to "bite me."

And you wonder why you can't find a good girl?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back