er6i tri flange question
Oct 7, 2004 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bpm2000

500+ Head-Fier
Just recently got these myself - I have no trouble making a good seal in my left ear, but my right seems to be giving me problems. I have read that cutting the tip off the flange helps insertion.
I believe that the first two portions of the flanges are in fact being used for a seal in my smaller ear canals, and the last one not really. Has anyone cut off the last one instead of the first one? I am wondering if it will still fit over the driver/filter part if I do such an act.

thx advance!

Oct 7, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 5
I actually have the same problem, but with opposite ears. I'd also like to know if cutting the flange helped anyone. Also, I have yet to try the foamys and was wondering if anyone had better experiences with one or the other.

Oct 7, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 5
i have the er4p, and i cut off the smallest flange and moved it around to the back, so the tip is essentially the same length, but the middle flange becomes the front flange.

i find it more comfortable and easier to insert, and i think the sound fills out a tiny bit, though that could be psychological.

the only occasional problem is that sometimes it feels like there's a bubble between my eardrum and the earphone tip. i'll hear a little squish-pop when i move my jaw. but again, this is only sporadic.

i still need to do some head-to-head comparisons between the modded and unmodded tips to see which i prefer, but for the past week, the mod has been serving me well.

Oct 7, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 5
what do you mean you moved it to the back? As in, you took the smallest part of the flange which you cut off and somehow reattached it to the rear of the flange?

Oct 7, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 5
I prefer the foamys myself. I can get a very good seal with the tri-flanges as long as I push them in as far as possible, but I find that uncomfortable. And the take a few seconds too many to come out.

The foamys, for me, are much more comfortable and provide a great seal. The downside is that they get dirty, and are very hard to clean. (Rubbing alcohol seems to make the foam very mushy, and the Q-tip ends up tearing out "divots".)

I ended up buying a bunch of replacement foamys instead. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back