ER6i Tip Questions!
Sep 28, 2007 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

noinimod

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, i should be expecting my ER6i within the next week. Really excited cos it's gonna be a huge step up from my hje50s which kinda suck. Anyway, does anyone know if the tri flanges are the same as their earplugs? here's the link to them = > http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

I have the plugs and they're pretty damn uncomfortable, if the triflanges are the exact same thing, i might have to order some new tips/bi flanges. I had a wonderful experience with my friend's UM1 foamies, which i might add, are over 8 months old and unchanged. It's gonna be a lil tight for me to keep changing foamies every few months so.. any suggestions? Read through some threads and shure ultra soft tips seem to be a good alternative, but i'ld hate to deal with the filters coming out etc etc.

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 8
"it's gonna be a huge step up from my hje50s"

That's quite an improvement -- congratulations!

The triple flanges aren't pleasant for me -- your mileage may vary, but good luck with them. The double flanges work much better for me -- but I much prefer foamies.

Seriously consider getting a pack of the Shure black foamies -- I know it's an extra expense, but these last a very long time, unlike other foamies ... plus they're comfortable, they isolate well and they help the Etys sound less fatiguing. Try to justify getting these -- for me, foamies transformed the Etys into more enjoyable earphones, and these black Shure foamies are highly durable (and washable!).

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 8
I've got both the er6i and the Ety earplugs, and the triple-flanges are the same size on both. But the earplug flanges seem to be more firm, and in any case, the er6i flanges always felt more comfortable in my ears.

x2 on the Shure black foamies. You really shouldn't underestimate what these do to your listening experience, it's amazing. They're more comfortable, more isolating, better sounding, and more durable than any of the included tips. Highly recommended.

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 8
You would want the black foam ear tips -- in small or medium, most likely. Larges are really large ... smalls are really small. If you think you have fairly normal or even sizable ear canals, maybe medium will do; if you think you have fairly small ear canals, maybe small will do.

But be sure you order foams ... not comfort fit, flex sleeve, etc. They are the foams that are used with the E3, E4, etc.

Edit: I went back and checked your link. It's confusing without photos of the items, but I noticed there are listings for Shure black foam eartips and "new" Shure black foam ear tips. Be sure to specify "new" if there's any question.

Another edit: Earphonesolutions.com -- a Head-Fi sponsor -- offers them, as well, for essentially the same price. They have photos on their site so you can see what they look like. Good service from them, too.

Sep 28, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 8
These are the ones you want right here. The mediums will most likely fit you correctly, and they fit perfectly on the er6i, no problems with the filters falling out either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back