er6i: sibilant?
Aug 13, 2007 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Anarchy965

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I've been listening to my er6i for the past few days while I wait for a new HD580 cable for my HD25SP's and I came to noticing, These things sound terribly sibilant. I assume it's the tips I'm using(triple-flange cut with smallest flange cut off), because I don't remember them sounding like this when I used to use them with the (now ruined)foam tips. Every "s" at the beginning of a word and every cymbal hit sounds terrible. At this rate, I hope that new cable gets here soon. I'll order some new foamies when I get some more extra cash too I guess.

edit:So, does anyone have an opinion on this or what? Do you think it's just the tips I'm using? Would an amp help?

Aug 13, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 4
BUMP. I guess it wasn't clear I was asking a question at first.

Aug 13, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #3 of 4
change the filters if you haven't listened to them in a while, and clean them and such, It could be the tips.

Aug 13, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 4
All IEMs are sibilant to some extent...I think it has to do with the fact that the outer ear is taken out of the equation (the folds of the pinna have a lot to do with softening the sibilant sound). This is a big part of the reason why I think that IEMs *should* be rolled off in the highs...there's nothing between those highs and your inner ear, and it'll hurt like hell if they're there in all their piercing glory.

That being said, I've found tri-flanges to be much more sibilant on any IEM than foamies. It's probably the tips...order some new foam ones and change them fairly often. It's the cost of upkeep for IEMs, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back