ER6i or UE SF3
Nov 30, 2006 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

airrob

New Head-Fier
I've got a pretty simple question. Looking to get IEMs for less than $100. I think my options are the ER6i's ($90 at Amazon) and the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3's ($70). I'm going to use them with an iPod. Thoughts?

Dec 2, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 6
Nobody has any suggestions?

Both the ER6i's and ER6's are $79 at Amazon - which one should I get to pair with an iPod?

Or should I go with the Ultimate Ears?

Dec 3, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 6
IIRC, ER6i are marketed to ipod users with a 3db(?) bass boost over ER6 to compensate poor bass-response out of ipod headphone-out. But I've also heard on this board that from pure sound quality point of view, ER6 > ER6i.

Between SF3 and ER6/i, I think it is really up to what you prefer. SF3 and ER6/i has very different sound signature; ER6/i emphasizes treble, and SF3 is more balanced throughout entire sound freq spectrum. So if you like brighter sound and a bit more clarity and detail, go for ER6/i. Some say they sound harsh. Otherwise get SF3.

There is also UM1(~$100), IM716(~$70) and the recent V-Moda(~$100) that fit into your price range, they all have a lot of supporters. Do yourself a favor and use the search function, you will find plenty of reviews/opinions on them and all the other models you have mentioned.

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 6
ER6 are 48 ohms, while ER6i are 16 ohms, which makes the ER6i easier for the ipod to drive.

You can see the difference in the freq response on the Ety web site:

er6i-ra.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 6
The Ety's burrow (gently, trust me) into the ear canal and would isolate more outside sound than the UE's. The UE's might be easier to insert and take out, particularly if you need to do so repeatedly, as they stick out in a way that the Ety's don't.

Dec 4, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 6
Do the UE SF3's have good isolation?

I'm getting these phones for hip-hop/rock/pop, so I think the SF3's better fit my needs. But I want IEMs with good isolation. These seem like the way to go - are they a good choice? $70 at Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back