ER6i: My own thoughts
Sep 13, 2004 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

boobooboo

New Head-Fier
Here are my thoughts so far on the Ety ER6i earphones, taken from posts over at ipodlounge.

Keep in mind I'm NOT an audiophile at all.

The wire is very thin. The individual wires that go to each ear piece are similar in size to the wires on the Apple earbuds but feel a little more delicate (the rubber is maybe stiffer) but the wire between the plug and the splitting point is definitely not as robust as the Apple. It's just the two wires stuck together instead of being a wider wire that holds both. This could potentially cause trouble, but it no biggy.

The ear pieces are very small and light. And they look cool.

At first I stuck them in and was shocked: No bass, no isolation, very tinny. What? Then I pushed them in a little further and **TWOK** they created a vacuum and sucked into place. Boom! No one will call these bassy but the bass is there. It is tight and accurate, not boomy. If I switch between these and the buds the buds definitely sound like they have a more booming bass sound but in comparison these are cleaner and more accurate. I'm playing with bassy EQ settings like R&B and Bass Boost. Those give a little bit of extra bass without seeming to detract from the quality. Again, I'm no audiophile. But the detail is very nice. I even heard a couple of vocal and musical flourishes in songs I'm familiar with that I never heard before.

As for the isolation, it's pretty great. I decided to hit the street for a minute to test them. I almost missed the elevator because I didn't hear it ding. Down on 8th Ave and 35th st (a very busy intersection) I could barely hear any street noise. I could feel a strong wind blowing but not hear it. If there is a sound that's very close to you (a creaky door opening as you walk through, someone talking right to your face) you will hear it quietly. If it's just general ambient noise like an air conditioner, it's gone.

One weird thing I noticed: When I walk and the music is playing a at reasonable volume I can really hear myself walking: Not the sound of my feet or anything like that but the internal force of the walking. It's hard to describe but it's like a thumping that I've never really heard before, sort of like hearing your heartbeat or something. Does that make sense? It's weird.

I was almost thinking of sending them back. The flange tips were kind of bothering my ears and the thumping when I walk was bugging me. I did switch back to the buds that come with the ipod for comparison: No thumping but also no music whenever any noise occured.

Then today I tested the foam tips. HELLO!! Sound quality just as good for me, comfortable as fluffy slippers and maybe even reduced thumping (although it could have been the better shoes I was wearing providing more support for my lead feet)

For the record, the sound proofing is very good but don't expect total silence. A passing bus will make a very audible swoosh, which is a huge improvement from the deafening rumble it usually makes.

I think the flanges were too big for my ears. They were causing too much pressure and I could still feel them hours after I took them out. The foam tips are the way to go for me. They are so much more comfortable. I used them on my commute this morning and really enjoyed them. I can't believe that I can listen to Bruce Springsteen's incredibly quiet Nebraska album on the way to work now. I never thought that would be possible. And only at 40% volume, too. Incredible.

Sep 13, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 22
I tried the flange tips for 2 minutes and immediately switched to the foamies, never gone back to the flanges.

I never moved around when I had them on (bought them for my gf so I never used them much), until yesterday when I tried to use them while washing my car, the microphonic was kindda anonying... but it was kindda hot and the cords were rubbing against my neck... and I didn't have anything to clip the cord on...

--Andrew

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 22
The thumping you hear is entirely normal, it's called microphonics, or more specifically, occlusion (I think) -- someone should chime in soon with Ety-specific solutions. I've never had that problem to such a serious point where listening to music while walking was a problem, but all three canalphones I've had were Shures, so I'm afraid I would not be able to help you here.

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rt297
If you use the included shirt clip, it keeps the cords away from your neck, therefore cutting down on microphonics.

Yeah, I've been doing that for exactly that purpose (and so I can let them dangle if I go into a store or something)

Sep 13, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 22
The 'microphonics' are something that occurs with every in-ear phone I've had. If it still bothers you after a while, it's time to polish your moonwalking / robotic dancing skills as far as your locomotion methods are concerned...
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by joni
Try attaching the clip to the back of your collar and feed the phone leads over each shoulder.......... Got rid of my microphonics (___
etysmile.gif
__)

I tried that briefly with the flanges but found it uncomfortable. I'll give it another shot with the foamies.

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 22
boobooboo - you're not an audiophile? Coulda fooled me. Reviewed like a good, detail-oriented head-fier, imo. Good job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The 'microphonics' are something that occurs with every in-ear phone I've had. If it still bothers you after a while, it's time to polish your moonwalking / robotic dancing skills as far as your locomotion methods are concerned...
wink.gif

You know, we are truly sick! I read this quote and thought, "yeah, he's right", and then it occurred to me that we're people who are willing to walk 'funny' so that our sound remains prestine - rediculous! Still, you ARE right, bangraman.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 22
It's totally true. When the thumping was really bothering me (with the flanges) I experimented with different, softer walking styles! But I decided that developing hip problems from altering my natural gait just wasn't worth it. And the problem is lessened by using the foamies, running the wire up the back and just by getting used to it.

As for me being an audiophile
tongue.gif
I feel like I'm half deaf from a childhood of cranking Def Leppard or whatever. Yeah, that was worth it.
rolleyes.gif
I don't think I'm terribly demanding. I thought the Apple Earbuds sounded fine except they didn't really fit my ears and on my noisy commute the music was drowned out completely rather frequently (I live on a truck-heavy street, then I cross an overpass that covers a very busy expressway, and then I'm on the subway. If I got 10 minutes of actual music listening in it was a miracle, and then I had to crank it so loud I was probably doing more damage anyway. Now I can listen to quiet music and hear every note and word.

One suggestion I got elsewhere was to try clipping the tip of fthe triple flange. They said it would make it more comfortable and give a better seal/better bass. Any thoughts? My instincts are to usually avoid doing stuff like that, but hey.

Sep 14, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #12 of 22
Like I told you on ipodlounge give it a try I myself have small ears., I don`t think the mod will help for somebody withbig ears, for me the three flangs were to long, it realy hurt trying to get them deep enough in my ears to get a good seal. withthe small tip cut of, they fit just perfect, amazing bas (bether than C3) but hey everybody has different ears.

Sep 15, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ewolfs
Like I told you on ipodlounge...

Busted!
biggrin.gif

Oh, I wasn't doubting you, I just thought I'd ask. Do you have a picture of the altered tips? I'm curious about this method.

Sep 15, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #14 of 22
Don't know about flange clipping. The old two flange design on the ER6 was almost impossible to get a good seal with for me, while the three flange design is more effective. It probably does depend on the size of one's ear canal, but flange clipping should not be assumed to be a step towards a better seal.

The three flange does seem to work best on the ER4 though. Long narrow tube inside the flange helps. The somewhat shorter tube on the ER6i does not make it very easy to keep the three flanges straight going in, so that may be the problem rather than ear shape. ER6i foamies IMO sound better and are much easier to get a seal with.

des

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #15 of 22
you could also try the shure soft flex tips that come with the e3c...i've been using them on my er4p/s and they fit my small ear canals very well, provide nice isolation, and sound pretty darn good. ask around if someone has a spare set to sell you or you can buy them from most stores that sell shures...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back