ER6i mods
Sep 22, 2004 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Barney Rubble

100+ Head-Fier
I have heard that if you cut off the smallest flange you will get more bass and they are more comfortable and easier to insert

Is this true ?

Will it make the rest of the reproduction muddy are there any drawbacks ?

I have only had the ER6i for 3days and the separation clarity etc are awesome but I would love a tiny bit more bass.

If anyone could give me soke feedback and maybe a photo of the modded flanges it would be greatly appreciated.

You guys were right right about head-fi my wallet is feeling sorry but my ears and brain are loving it

Cheers everyone

Sep 22, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #3 of 18
it works, for me at least. however, i found that the triple flange, left intact, is better for me in terms of over all long term comfort and isolation so i went back to the normal triple flange.

Sep 22, 2004 at 9:16 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Seems to me that team of design engineers working for months would have thought of trying something like themselves. Depends on the size of your ears I guess.

confused.gif
they kind of make them for the regular ER6, you know.

Sep 22, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 18
Why the reluctance? It's only a sleeve.
Cut away! Just cut one pair of sleeve, and you can see for yourself. It's not all too difficult either. Just a snip.

Sep 22, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 18
I did the mod, because the original flangs were to long for my ears, to get a good seal I had to put them so deep, it really hurt wearing them for more than 15 minutes, After the mod I got a good comfortable seal, and this of course gave me more bass. But when the unmodded flangs give you a good comfortable seal, I don’t think the mod will give you more bass (only less isolation).

Sep 22, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #9 of 18
At the moment they are pretty comfortable but not as nice as my old EX71's

I am getting used to them I suppose, it still feels like the seal is really tight and the tip of the flange is drilling into my brain.... LoL only kidding

Where can I get replacement flanges ?

If the mod goes wornd and the foamies are not to my liking would like to have something to fall back on

Cheers for everyones help.

Sep 22, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 18
i only did it because the tips put too much pressure on my eardrums and to get a good seal, i had to push them in that far. i think the foamies give a better sound but they're too much of a hassle to put back in after i talk to someone. give it a try if the tips are pressing against your eardrums. i think that crushing the tips against my eardrums made the highs more grainy and reduced the bass to er6 levels.

it's a bit odd but with the er4p's, the triple flange tips work perfectly for me and don't go in too far.

you can get replacement tips directly through etymotic.

Sep 22, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #11 of 18
I cut mine but it didnt add any bass, its quick and easy to get em in and get a good seal though. I didnt like that feeling pusing those smaller tips so far in my ears. The pressure that builds up when they get deep in there kinda hurts.

Its similar to the fit of the EX71s now.
etysmile.gif

Sep 23, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #12 of 18
I definitley feel lots of pressure when I insert the ER6i's and it does get quite uncomfortable at times... I keep having to twist them or re-insert them in some new way every 15 mins or so, sometimes I get a good comfortable fit sometimes not .

You can feel a vacuum being created when they are in place, it means the isolation is brilliant but they feel strange sometimes, it is quite a skill lots of rearranging and postioning.

I didnt mind the isolation level of my old EX71 so I might go ahead and mod these ER6i's if the comfort is improved.

In any case I can always get some new flanges and / or use the foamies if it doesnt quite work.

Can anyone post a picture of the mod so I know where to cut.

They are brilliant phones, arent they I just came into work and really packed tube/subway with some chilled breakbeat Prog House floating in to my ears, the clarity just rocks, it smashes my old EX71's

Good morning from London

Sep 23, 2004 at 10:12 AM Post #13 of 18
Barney,

sorry no camera with me,

but I found out best way to cut is to bend the small flange up, it stays like that, if you release it (see sketch)

)=((

now you can cut the shaft between the small and the middle flange, as close to the middle flange as possible, this leaves a nice rounded middle flange, that will not hurt your ears

Sep 23, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #15 of 18
After reading this and a few other threads, I decided to sacrifice a pair of tips to the knife. They are definitely easier to get in, but getting them out seemed harder, not sure why...

Anyway, to anyone wanting to do this, have a spare set ready to go. I didn't think the sound difference was very dramatic. I guess that means I was getting a good seal with all 3 flanges. Getting them out actually seemed almost painful. And the big problem I see with it, is very little isolation.

Similar to the Sony Ex70s that I had. I hear a lot of wind noise. It was kinda
strange now that I'm used to being so isolated with the phones in.

Just sharin' my experiences
YMMV

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back