ER6i clicking/popping while walking?
Aug 28, 2007 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mcdj

New Head-Fier
Hi all, first post here...

Just received a pair of UltimateBuds (iPhone compatible modded ER6is). I sure wish they had more in common with my CX300s, but that's another story.

When walking, I'm getting a slight popping sound. It's not cord microphonics...I know what that sounds like, and it's not the thud of my footsteps, though I get that too. This sounds like the flanges sealing/unsealing ever so slightly. The only way to avoid it is continually pushing them a bit further into my ear. The sound doesn't change, so I know the seal is adequate, but the popping is getting really tiresome. I'm using the triple flanges with the tips cut off. Not interested in switching to foam.

Any ideas? I'm close to inquiring about a return.

thx,

mcdj

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 4
Are the flanges new? Can you try any other form of silicon fittings?

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 4
The whole set is brand new. They also came with 2 sizes of the double flange tips, but the large ones are too big for me and the small too small, and for some strange reason they're made of a stickier, stiffer material. I could get away with the larger if they weren't so stiff.

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 4
Sounds like a diapragm or chamber in the ear bud may not be adequately ported? I'm not that familiar with Etymotic's designs, so pardon me if that doesn't apply. I got the same sort of thing with my Sony MDR-EX90 (left side only) after I did the "sealing mod". I enlarged the hole I made (very slightly) after the mod, and that fixed the problem. Again, I don't know how the Etys are designed, but hopefully that helps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back