ER6i cable fault
Oct 27, 2004 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

EdipisReks

Banned
the left channel of my ER6i's went out yesterday, apparently spontaneously. i have babied these things, and to make matters worse, the only other portable headphones i have with me at the moment are my stock ipod buds. i'll probably buy a pair of KSC-35's tonight. i'm wishing i hadn't lent out my Porta Pros. has anyone else had problems with channel faults with the ER6 series? etymotic was quick to issue me an RMA number, and hopefully their repair department is quick.

Oct 27, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 6
uhm, did you get like static, or intermitent sound if you giggled the cable either near the jack, or near the driver?

You might have had a clogged filter. If the filter gets clogged, or even wet, then no sound will come out.

If you tried replacing it, feel free to ignore this post.

But if you haven't sent them back yet, you might give that a shot.

I've talked to etymotic regarding the tip problem with the 6i and they've been very helpful and very cooperative. I'm sure they'll get ya fixed up if it is the wire.

good luck and let us know the outcome

-Jeff

Oct 27, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 6
i immediately thought it might be the filter when the channel cut out, but i have pinpointed exactly in the cable where the fault is. in my dealings with etymotic customer service in the past, they have been quick to help via email. hopefully they replicate this with their repair deparment.

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 6
this happened to me with a pair of ER-4S's. i returned them.
i was thinking of giving ety's another chance... this is sorta disappointing.

Dec 22, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 6
Sorry- I just realised this is an ancient thread.

I sent back 2 pairs of white ER6i's to Etymotic a while back with effectively the same problem (loose conection at jack). They had both had a lot of use in a rather harsh work environment and it showed. I was a bit skeptical that Etymotic would accept them under warranty. A fair while later (i am in Australia) I received 2 brand new pairs. A black pair I ordered on ebay arrived the same day.

All 3 are now non functioning. I think that works out to be about 1 pair a month. I am not complaining- I love these phones so much. On two of them, i caught the cable in a sharp snag and cut it, luckily near the plug. The other one just developed a loose connection at the plug again. I will have to buy a soldering iron to try to replace the plug, before i trawl ebay for another black pair or 2.

In the meantime i am using my rather neglected and derided (by me) EU super.pro5. I have the Er tri flanges on them and the sound check and reduce bass EQ setting on my 5th gen ipod. I must admit they sound pretty good to me, although still a little contrasty for my taste.

I hope you are not ET6i less for too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back