ER6 vs. ER4P for Commuting Use
May 28, 2002 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

zotjen

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been using the ER6 for a little while now, and though I'm happy with them, I can't help but wonder like a lot of other people if I'm missing out on something by not getting the ER4P instead. I'm using my Etys soley for commuting purposes. In DGS's excellent comparison of the Etys, he indicates that the ER6 is more suitable for commuting, which is why I chose them over the ER4P. However, I've read quite a few posts where people mention that they do use the ER4 while commuting.

I'm currently using the ER6 while riding the NYC subway as well as during my short walks to and from the subway station. I tend to move around a bit, even while sitting, and I'm hesitant to get the ER4P because of the increased microphonic and occlusion effects. How much more pronounced is it? I know I can replace the 4P cord and whatnot, but given the additional cost it's something I'd rather not do.

Also, the 4Ps seem like they are a bit more fragile than the ER6s. I can sometimes get a little rough with my phones, yanking them out of or shoving them into my bag if I'm in a rush. Can the 4Ps take a little abuse or would I need to be extra careful with them?

Finally, in DGS's comparison, he states, "If you are going to use etys ONLY for commuting, then it is less likely that you will be able to appreciate the differences between the er6 and the 4p." Can anyone confirm or contradict this statement? If this is true, it doesn't make sense for me to spend the extra cash for sound benefits I won't really notice.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

May 28, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 8
Whle the ER6 captures the essence of the Etymotic sound, the 4P/S is a significantly better set of cans, in all respects of the quality of reproduced sound. That said, given your stated requirements, the ER6 may be better for you in that the much greater microphonics of the 4P may be excessive. Further, the ER6 cable is much more flexible and thinner than that for the 4P.

To answer your other question, the 4P's may have an estimated 20% or so greater occlusion than the ER6's. This may be attributed to the difficulty I had with the seal of the ER6.

I had both and had intended to use the ER6 for active applications, (jogging, gym), and the 4P for airlines, auto rides (not while driving) and the 4P with S adaptor cable for at home listening.

I concluded that the ER6 was overkill for my application and the Senn MX500's for 1/6 the price actually gave me more bass and "bigger" sound as well as more awareness of what was going on around me, which for gym use and walks/jogs around the neighborhood was probably more prudent. I also had a very difficult time achieving a good seal with the ER6's, a situation that has never arisen with the 4P's.

I have since returned the ER6's for the above stated reasons.

May 29, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 8
Welcome to Head-Fi, zotjen!
smily_headphones1.gif

If you are getting a good seal and are happy with the ER6s, I wouldn't worry too much about what you may be missing. Yes, the ER4 series provides a smoother, more transparent sound quality, but for your needs (commuting), the ER6 has a major advantage.........less (almost none) microphonics. Walking with the ER4 is an exercise in trying to keep the cord from rubbing on anything. The fixup replacement apparently solves this, but as you said, it's another cost added on.
I use my ER6s (or Senn MX-500s) for walking around, and the ER4 for stationary listening. Hope this helps.

May 29, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 8
I use ER-4S phones for commuting via train and foot to work. I was bothered by the microphonics until Todd from Headroom suggested looping the cable over my ears. What a difference! I can sit on the train and hear only the music. Walking home from the train the loudest noise is the shock from my foot hitting the ground. I use a Cosmic or Total Airhead depending on how much weight I want to carry. The ER-4S phones only become better as I learn to put them in proper and manage the cable noise better.

May 29, 2002 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 8
I had the same question and contacted Etymotic Research. They explained the differences in the ER-6 and the ER-4P in detail and their summary was "...the ER-6 offers about 80% of the sound quality of the ER-4P at about half the cost". I bought the ER-4P
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 8
Right on, sailfree.

So sailfree, is the ER-4P causing you annoyance or what? I am in the EXACT same boat as zotjen. Only difference--him in New York, me in State College, PA. So really no difference only I don't have to worry at all about the isolation, you know, getting run over by a bus or anthing from not hearing it because I am walking across a big campus and traffic is minimized. I just want to know from somebody about the microphonics. I think that would totally suck to hear every one of your movements when the whole entire purphose is getting lost in the music. thanks

Jun 3, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 8
No annoyance! The 4P's are absolutely outstanding compared to the earphones that came with my iPod. Truly night and day. The only "problem" I have encountered is trying to use them while driving. Because all external noise is shut down I found driving to be scary
tongue.gif
Also, when I drive my manual shift sports car I can't hear the engine and so shifting is a challenge. I'm sure it would be equally wierd riding a bike in traffic. However, for use when you are the passenger or when at home, sitting in the park, etc., etc. they are terrific. I also got the Total Airhead amplifier and although it improves the sound experience even more, the difference in with and without the amplifier is real but subtle.

Initially the cord microphonics were annoying but I don't notice it nearly as much now. I probably pay more attention to how I arrange the cord or I have gotten used to it but either way I don't find it to be a serious problem. I haven't tried them jogging yet but when just walking around I don't find cord microphonics to be a problem at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back