ER6 questions/observations
Dec 14, 2001 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

mathewlu

New Head-Fier
Dear All,

Based on the excitement surrounding them in this forum I decided to splurge on a pair of ER6s to go with my new iPod (please spare me the lecture on the evils of MP3s). True to form HeadRoom got the ER6 out to me well before Apple even shipped my iPod (which I'm now told is finally on the way). Anyway, I don't have that much experience with good headphones (my only other decent non-throw away pair of 'phones is a pair of Grado SR-80s), and none at all with Etymotics, so I have a few questions. I also have some observations to throw out as well.

Questions:

1) I wonder if I'm missing something with regards to how difficult it supposedly is to get a good seal? I licked the tips a bit (I hope that is an appropriate way to "moisten" them) and shoved them in and I seem to have a decent enough seal--no fuss no muss. To test this I put on a Bach pipe organ CD in my Sony Portable Player (all I had convenient) and listened to the famous Tocatta and Fugue in D. Getting that kind of bass from headphones was rather shocking, but as others have said, it is not a felt bass but a audible bass.

2) Many people have said that the feeling of these things in their ears goes away after a while. Mine have been in my ears for a couple of hours and I definately still know they are there. I wonder, again, if I'm doing something wrong. They really give my head a "stuffed" up feeling. My main question is, though, is there any way to get my ears to stop itching?

3) How much improvement would there be with an Airhead amp? I must say I'm rather impressed with the low power out from my Sony player which has to be all the way up to play the Grados or the included Sony ear buds at a decent volume, but are plenty loud with the Etymotics at 5-6 on a 10 point scale (I don't know if it's linear of course).

I've never heard the ER4s, but I've got to say that first impressions of the '6s are very positive (man they should be for $117--kudos to HeadRoom as well for getting them to me in two days--ordered Tuesday, arrived Thursday). I do have to say that they do, as some have mentioned, look a little cheap. as far as the cord goes anyway (ah, well Made in China keeps the cost reasonable I suppose).

As far as the isolation goes, the package as many have mentioned, says 15-20dB. I have no way of knowing if that's accurate in my own head, but I can say that I can turn my computer speakers up all the way (please don't throw anything--MP3s are convenient) and not hear anything but the music coming through the ER6s (if there's nothing playing in the '6s though I can still hear other sounds). By the way the offical name of these things is "ER-6 Isolator earphones" and Etymotic has evidently tradmarked "Isoator."

BTW, I'm starting to wonder if these things will be a good match for the iPod, because they are definately revealing of defects in the source. The MP3s I've just started listening to this minute--128 to 192kbp mostly--through my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz do sound pretty bad. They just don't sound natural--there's a strange kind of compressed sound to them, very unnatural, especially in acoustic music. I don't know if this is a good thing or not, maybe I'll mostly use the ER-6s when I need the isolation, or to listen to very high bit rate MP3s, or even uncompressed audio, since the iPod supports AIFFs. Well there's my uneducated (at least about headphones) $0.02.

Best,
--Mathew

Dec 14, 2001 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 23
Partial answers:

1) Some people simply have a much easier time getting a seal than others. Congratulations, it seems you're one of those people that doesn't have much trouble.

2) I can always tell they're in my ears as well. Again, this is going to depend on the person.

3) Don't know, as I don't have an Airhead.

Dec 14, 2001 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 23
If you want the itching to stop I'd suggest not licking them. No matter how clean your mouth is, you're still bound to have all sorts of different bacteria in your saliva. They'll likely cause some itching and if worse comes to worse, they might even cause an ear infection.

Granted it's not exactly easy to find a drop of distilled water when you're on the go, so what I do is just breath over them. It moistens them enough for me. No itching either.

Dec 14, 2001 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 23
I've had an iPod since they were released and I don't have any hiss. I've listened with buds, amps and high end cans.

Bob
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2001 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

I've had an iPod since they were released and I don't have any hiss. I've listened with buds, amps and high end cans.

I hear you Bob, but have you listened with Etys? Believe me, If there is any hiss in the iPod amplification, the Etys will reveal it. I'll be visiting my son in NYC this weekend to pick up my new iMac, which I bought simply to use with my future iPod.........expensive little sucker! I'm bringing my Etys to hear what it sounds like and I'll be listening for hiss, whine, anything that shouldn't be there. I'll post results Sunday.

Dec 14, 2001 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 23
I'm getting more and more impressed with the '6s. Listening now to a DG live recording of the Beethoven 9th, Sinopoli/Staatskapelle Dresen (the best modern digital recording of the Ninth, IMO) and I can actually hear the musicians turning the pages of their sheet music--nice! (Needless to say I'd never heard that before).

As to the itching, Pat was right about not licking them. I also found that they felt a lot better after I'd eaten something while wearing them, presumable because chewing moved my jaw around enough to really seat them in my ears.

Beginning to really think I made a good decision here.

Best,
--Mathew

Dec 14, 2001 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 23
I'm interested how the Ety/iPod combo works out. I'm holding back for now. But who knows about tomorrow.

Bob
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 14, 2001 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

They really give my head a "stuffed" up feeling. My main question is, though, is there any way to get my ears to stop itching?

I have that same problem with the white tips on my ER4s; I have to use the foamies. Etymotics says that they are working on foamies for the ER6, so you should give them a try when they are available.

Quote:

I would suggest not getting the Ipod. It is supposed to have a noticeable hiss in the background. Also, encode all your MP3s with LAME and EAC.

Not everyone hears the hiss, and when it does occur, it is supposedly faint and it is only with some MP3 encoded tracks. Other sound formats do not exhibit the hiss. But more importantly, Apple is working on a fix that should be out soon. I just think your warning is a bit overboard.

Dec 14, 2001 at 7:35 AM Post #11 of 23
I hear the whine on my ipod and you don't need high quality phones to hear it. It is supposed to be at around 4khz which is something even cheap headphones can produce. It doesn't bother me that much because I mostly listen to rock and pop. I feel classical music listener's pain! I'm eagerly awaiting the fix. The official statement so far by apple is to lower the volume.. hah! They are working on possible solutions though. True you can't hear the whine with aiff files, the problem is any file bigger than 22mb, which 3 minute songs are, causes the hard drive to continually spin (something with the 32mb buffer) until the song is completed. Resulting in about 3 hours of battery life, not too mention more wear and tear to the drive. This too is being looked at for a fix.

Anyways, to go back on topic. I'm waiting for the even length er-6s to come out or one of the $225 er-4p sales. BTW, because of what happened to Zane, I'm afraid those tips are going to get stuck in my ears! Do the er-4ps have that problem?

Dec 14, 2001 at 7:37 AM Post #12 of 23
OK folks, I've found a method for using the silicone torture cones that works very well for me and I wanted to share it with you all.

Run down to your local apothecary and pick up a bottle of "Debrox" or equivalent.

This product is intended for aiding in earwax removal, but that's not what we're going to use it for although I would recomend placing a couple drops of the stuff on a fresh Q-Tip and routing around in your ears to ensure they're always squeaky clean!

The active "cleaning" agent in Debrox is Carbamide Peroxide, which is not what we're really after. The other constituents of this stuff are citric acid, glycerine, propylene glycol, water, etc... and we're after the lubricant properties.

Carefully place a drop of the stuff on your finger tip and apply it to the silicone ear-tip, evenly distributing it all around. After it sits for a minute gently remove (by patting) all excess using a washcloth or cleenex. What you'll be left with is nice clean ear tips that essentially look dry but have just the right amount of lubrication on them. They go right in, no muss, no fuss. I re-apply about once a week and that's enough. Sanitary, no itch, etc... Good stuff!
Happy Listening!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2001 at 9:03 AM Post #13 of 23
if it feels "stuffy" that's because there's a lot of pressure inside your ears... Try to follow the instructions and pull your ears out and push the etys in and UPWARDS in your ear... don't go that far! I don't have to go far at all, let go of your ear, and poof, instaseal. I don't feel any pressure and I have a great seal, takes almost no time too. You just look kinda funny doing it.

Dec 14, 2001 at 8:19 PM Post #14 of 23
One thing I've found that works well is to insert very slowly. When i first got the ER6 I was pushing them in kinda fast, and it causes a pressure buildup. Pushing them in slowly seems to equalize the pressure more. That brings up a question: When you guys have a tight seal with the etys, do you feel any pressure difference? I find I still have a little pressure in my ear (giving a slightly clogged feeling)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back