ER6 Concerns?
Dec 19, 2001 at 7:24 AM Post #16 of 34
MacDef's avatar looks like a beat robot.. all it need is a black turtleneck, beret and sunglasses..

How do you ER-6 owners feel about the uneven cord?

BTW, I like my Sony's.

Dec 19, 2001 at 7:44 AM Post #17 of 34
My two cents (that I have already said elsewhere):
Yes, etys look cheap and everybody will look at you funny if you tell them you spent $200+ on them. However, they are not built cheaply - sound quality or physically. They are very durable and will hold up to a lot of use and abuse. I don't take mine around with me...I have to be sitting still to listen to my etys because otherwise the cable noises would drive me crazy...but I don't pamper them at home and haven't had a single occasion to worry about breaking or damaging them.

I do need some new filters though, and I'm broke. Anybody feeling generous?

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2001 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by tvhead

How do you ER-6 owners feel about the uneven cord?

BTW, I like my Sony's.

It's the only thing I dislike about them. Really, really, really dislike. But then, I am just but one opinion. Maybe others like the feature.

Dec 19, 2001 at 4:28 PM Post #19 of 34
I actually like the uneven cord.......it pretty much eliminates the microphonic effects that the cords on the ER4 series generate. If I'm just sitting still, it doesn't matter, but when walking around the uneven cord makes a big difference.

Dec 19, 2001 at 8:15 PM Post #20 of 34
>>it pretty much eliminates the microphonic effects that the cords on the ER4 series generate. If I'm just sitting still, it doesn't matter, but when walking around the uneven cord makes a big difference.

Are you sure this is just because of the uneven cord? Are the 6's cables themselves less microphonic than the 4's cables?

Dec 19, 2001 at 8:32 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Mac, is your avatar robot an "Angry Robot"?

He was getting a little boring, and I felt he needed an "edge"
wink.gif
Now the little bugger's got some attitude.

Dec 19, 2001 at 10:49 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Are you sure this is just because of the uneven cord? Are the 6's cables themselves less microphonic than the 4's cables?

I think the ER6 cord is slightly less microphonic, but its placement behind your head has a lot to do with it. The 4S cord is dangling in front, susceptible to every movement, however slight. The ER6 cord is out of the way.

Dec 21, 2001 at 5:09 AM Post #23 of 34
let's not forget that etymotic is first and foremost an audiological research firm providing "medical" products to the hearing-aid industry, NOT a consumer electronics firm. I've not seen their annual report, but I'd venture a guess that the vast amount of their revenue is derived from their work in the medical science field and not from their beloved canalphones.

Dec 21, 2001 at 10:27 PM Post #25 of 34
Remember back many years ago during talk shows when a guest would shift around and you would hear that SCCRRUUNNK sound? That sound was the small lavalier microphone picking up the sound of the microphone cable scrarping across the guests clothes. It comes from using a material on the jacket that is stiff and causes the microphone to pick up its vibrations.

ETY are particularly affected because of their extreme isolation from outside sounds. You will head your own heartbeat, breathing, and the scrape of the cord on your clothing quite clearly. Other headphones don't isolate nearly as well, so the problem is not noticeable.

That's what we mean by "microphonics".
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2001 at 1:32 AM Post #26 of 34
I thought the Etymotics' (I have the ER-4S) cables were microphonic because they're attached to something stuck solidly in your ear, with no vibration dampening between the cable and the piece in your ear. Try this, stick your pinky in your ear and tap that same forearm with your other hand. Your arm is now microphonic. Foam earplugs that I've used exhibit the same kind of thing you get with Etymotics: tap/touch the back end of the earplug and you'll hear it just as loudly as if you were rubbing on the cables close to Etymotic earpieces. If you can dampen the vibrations on the Etymotic cables before the cable reaches your ear, then that should remove/reduce microphonics - that's why people report good results with wrapping the cable around their ears.

Dec 22, 2001 at 7:27 AM Post #27 of 34
right on Possum!

Dec 22, 2001 at 4:35 PM Post #30 of 34
Don,
Did you get the private message I sent you?
Thanks,
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back