ER4S VS ER4P
Aug 26, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #34 of 42
I prefer the ER4P with or without an amp (it has a little more bass, and a little more energy than the S version).

Additionally, a P-S adapter can be bought on eBay for $18 shipped, so I see little reason to buy the S.

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #35 of 42
Has anyone tried that 18 dollar eBay P-S adapter, would it be a viable alternative to the original Etymotic adapter? It's dirt cheap and you would think adding 75 ohms of impendance would not be rocket science...

Nov 14, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #36 of 42
I find it a little hard to believe that the inclusion of a 75 ohm resistor in the signal path will convert the ER-4P into the S. Besides the change in impedance from 27 ohms to 100 ohms the P has enhanced bass response and about 10-12 dB greater sensitivity, all of which have to be rematched to the S specifications. Maybe that's why the adapter cable costs $60, or are we too naïve. I'd love it if a 10 cent resistor would do the whole job though! lol.

I don't know the answer, but if someone of experience does, please enlighten us.

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #37 of 42
See, the thing about facts is that you can have hard times believing them, or whatever. The ety site says that the er4p is about 75 ohms less than the er4s. What costs so much is that it is the official ety cable.

-Nkk

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it a little hard to believe that the inclusion of a 75 ohm resistor in the signal path will convert the ER-4P into the S. Besides the change in impedance from 27 ohms to 100 ohms the P has enhanced bass response and about 10-12 dB greater sensitivity, all of which have to be rematched to the S specifications.

I'll change some words of your sentence, to enlighten you
smily_headphones1.gif

The change in impedance from 100 ohms to 27 ohms is the S with enhanced bass response and about 10-12 dB greater sensitivity, all of which are already rematched by the impedance.

So basically: the lower impedance is the reason why there's enhanced bass response and bigger sensitivity. It doesn't have to be rematched.

So a cheap, decent 75 ohm resistor would also do the job. The only difference between the ER4P and the ER4P is the 75 ohm. Read nkk's post too.

Nov 15, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeTrun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So basically: the lower impedance is the reason why there's enhanced bass response and bigger sensitivity. It doesn't have to be rematched.

So a cheap, decent 75 ohm resistor would also do the job.

Okay, then I'll have a go at making an adapter like someone is selling on eBay for $18! Ha Ha! Thanks for this valuable information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back