er4s or something else?
Sep 19, 2006 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

dusk

100+ Head-Fier
[partial repost from this thread.]

I have some birthday money and plan on getting either a 2G Nano @ 8gig or 5.5g iPod @ 80gig (see above link for the ipod discussion thread), and am looking for some headphones (IEMs) and a dock to complement my future setup. Currently, I have a pint mini3fied amp (from AKZip), and plan on rockboxing (for FLAC) whichever ipod I decide upon.

I am thinking the er-4s (mini3fied amped) but having to take them on and off to talk to people might get annoying.

I plan on using it amped during my commute to school, and will probably just end up getting a shuffle for running and the gym.

Are the unamped er-4s decent? or should I spend the cash and get the e500s for both amped/unamped activities (since I can see myself taking my amp along about 50% of the time). Or would one of the DJ headphones be best? (I'm starting to lean more these closed cans as opposed to IEMs). With the KSC-75 for the gym.

Thoughts?

Sep 19, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 22
I don't know if I'd use IEM for any running, but I wouldn't the ER4s. It's A) overkill if you're not focusing on the music and B) the cord noise would be irritating.

Also keep in mind you can get the ER4P for unamped and the S adapter for amping duties.

Sep 19, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 22
I love the detail the Etymotic ER4S provides. The only other iem I compared side by side was the SuperPro 5fi and I chose the Ety.

I agree the Ety would be overkill for running plus you risk damaging an expensive iem.

Sep 19, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Also keep in mind you can get the ER4P for unamped and the S adapter for amping duties.

What exactly is this adapter and what does it do?

Sep 19, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 22
The P -> S adapter adds another 75 ohms of resistance making the total impedance to about 100 ohms.

I love my ER-4s but it is more for critical listening, the cord noise alone will drive you crazy. At the gym or while running it is a bad idea as it is too isolating (true for any IEM). As suggested by cantsleep a cheap open headphone is what you need any sport activity.

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 22
i only run at gunpoint, but i think the E4c's would be good for that, since thye're not microphonic, stay put really well with triflanges (and reasonably well with foamies when you're shaking your head, and not well at all with the softflex silicon balls). The triflanges and foamies are really isolating, so don't get yourself hit by a bus.

Also, you need to try to keep sweat out of them, but Shure's warranty is pretty bulletproof.

Sep 20, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 22
Since I am not original I will steal this idea. How about getting:

10585.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Get the E500.

I second this motion!
tongue.gif

ER4s (both P and S) are not good for general purpose as they emphasis too much on treble and lack in bass, and the cord is very very very .....very microphonic compare to other IEMs. I find Shure's are much less microphonic so good when you move around, but I wouldn't suggest you use IEMs while working out. Besides sweating all over them(which is bad), all you would hear would be your own breathing after awhile. Try plug your fingers into your ears, breathe and see what I mean, IEMs will be exactly like that.

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

ER4s (both P and S) are not good for general purpose as they emphasis too much on treble and lack in bass.

Not true, just not true.

They're right about the cable though, I would never go running with my ER4s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back