ER4S "first sound" report
Jan 24, 2002 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Roy Rogers

New Head-Fier
I just received my Etymotic ER4S and the Total Airhead amp from Headroom. I was amazed at how simple it was to get the 4S into my ears and get a good seal (I have only tried the white rubber). Based on postings here I had expected to get some initial problems, but no, they went right in and I got a seal right away. Two seconds (quite literally) later I had music.

Right now I am sitting in a lab with 9 four-way and five two-way computers making a lot of noise. I have tried several brands of noise cancelling 'phones, and they all work to some extent. The noise reduction in the low frequencies using the ER4S seems to me to be a little less (or at least very different) than, say, the active noise cancellation from Bose, but the 4S reduce high frequency noise better. The sound is much better than what I get from the Bose phones.

It was very simple to decide to keep the 4S.

Jan 24, 2002 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 9
Congratulations on your easy induction into Team Etymotic!

I agree that the isolation is excellent but not bullet-proof. I find that the noise-blocking on aircraft is rather partial, less than I expected from descriptions here and at Headwize. And I think you are on to something in noticing that the isolation varies quite a bit over the frequency spectrum. Then, too, maybe some of my airplane noise is from conduction somehow.

You can probably look forward to seeing more virtues in the Ety's after this first encounter.

Jan 24, 2002 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 9
Welcome to Head-Fi, and Congratulations, Roy, on your new Etys. They are trully great 'phones. BTW, you were my childhood hero.
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2002 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Wes
I find that the noise-blocking on aircraft is rather partial, less than I expected from descriptions here and at Headwize.... Then, too, maybe some of my airplane noise is from conduction somehow.

I'm pretty sure that's right, Wes. With such powerful, low-level noise, you're going to get some just because you're sitting in the airplane -- it's going to go right through your body
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 9
this seal everyone talks about...does anyone hear a pop in the ear when they insert the etys in "correctly?" Afterwards, it's hard to get any further than that. I was wondering if this is an adequate seal or are etys just not for me.

Jan 25, 2002 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 9
Nugen,

No. No pop is associated with getting the seal. You might notice a pop if you abruptly back them out.

For me (and this will surely vary with the individual), the signal that I've got a good seal is that, after stretching my ear back to open the canal while inserting the Ety, I place it far enough in to meet resistance, release the ear, and--this is the real confirmation--I feel my ear canal kind of clasp or wrap around the plug as I release my ear and it returns to normal shape. In addition, I will twist the Ety a few degrees back and forth to confirm the seating, or perhaps just out of habit. At that time I will notice a little negative pressure or suction within my ear, another signal that the seal is in place.

MacDEF,

Uh huh. Just what I was thinking: butt-bone conduction.

Jan 25, 2002 at 10:56 AM Post #8 of 9
Wes,

Thanks. Instead of preparing my lecture to be given in 30 minutes, I have been at the lab testing headphones. The Bose do dampen the low level rumble a tad more than the ER4S using the white tip. I will try the other tip later. The Bose makes it hard to sleep on a plane because they are in the way. The ER4 should be simpler to live with in this regard.

Joelongwood,

Thanks. I was my childhood hero too. :) Also, there is a very good blues guitarist named Roy Rogers. Seriously, I wish I had some of the skills from each, the cowboy gun slinger and the guitarist guitar slinger.

Nugen,

To me there is a distinct different feeling between no seal and seal. With a seal I hear my breathing inside my skull. But the sound is so good I don't have to breath too often.

Jan 25, 2002 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 9
Wes,

Thanks. Instead of preparing my lecture to be given in 30 minutes, I have been at the lab testing headphones. The Bose do dampen the low level rumble a tad more than the ER4S using the white tip. I will try the other tip later. The Bose makes it hard to sleep on a plane because they are in the way. The ER4 should be simpler to live with in this regard.

Joelongwood,

Thanks. I was my childhood hero too. :) Also, there is a very good blues guitarist named Roy Rogers. Seriously, I wish I had some of the skills from each, the cowboy gun slinger and the guitarist guitar slinger.

Nugen,

To me there is a distinct different feeling between no seal and seal. With a seal I hear my breathing inside my skull. But the sound is so good I don't have to breath too often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back