ER4P's (no) E4G's (Maybe) UE10's/RS1's (help?)
Jul 2, 2007 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

keyzer1980

New Head-Fier
Hello all...!!

I can't believe that I FINALLY decided to join Head-Fi.

I have been lurking since late 2003 (never posted though) - where you all convinced me to get a pair of Grado Labs "Alessandro Music Series" cans. I have enjoyed them very much, but they get less ear time now since there is a slight buzz when base is cranking.

The next pair you guys talked me into, without knowing
smily_headphones1.gif
- were the ER4P's - they lasted about 4 days; could not get them comfortable, and did not like the sound very much. I picked up the E4G's - I like the musicality, but realised I missed the ultra analytical side the ER4's let me in on briefly. I liked the ability to isolate a single instrument and just focus on that. Also, I think that the E4G's are more comfortable (IMO).

I am now trying to decide on the following - and YES - at this point I can only have one!

Grado RS1
UE-10's
UE-5's

(I listen to everything and anything - rock, rap, jazz, pop, acoustic, instrumental, whatever! I would prefer portable, but if cans will offer what I want, then I do have the E4G's if needed)

My questions then - I have read everything I can over the last 4 years, but can't seem to answer these....

Is "musicality" and "analytical" mutually exclusive? If not, can you recommend some phones - this will be easier to answer if one of the three in the list above does this well?

If I don't like the ER4P's lack of "musicality" - does that necessarily mean I will not like the UE-5C's or the UE-10's? (Monkey may help me here
smily_headphones1.gif
- also know to me and my wife as the luckiest man on earth!!)

The UE-5c's seem to be more "musical" than the etys - is the analytical side as good/better than the ER4P's? (I do love the analytical side - but love the musicality just as much)

Again - thank you so much for helping me spend my money, although you never knew it!

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyzer1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My questions then - I have read everything I can over the last 4 years, but can't seem to answer these....

Welcome aboard!

Here's my opinion on your questions...

"Is "musicality" and "analytical" mutually exclusive? If not, can you recommend some phones - this will be easier to answer if one of the three in the list above does this well?"

Sometimes, but not always. For example, I find K701's, RS-1's and PK-1's to have lots of detail, but still find them all musical enough for my tastes. You've honed in on RS-1's, which should be a good bet overall if you already like the Grado sound.

"If I don't like the ER4P's lack of "musicality" - does that necessarily mean I will not like the UE-5C's or the UE-10's?"

ER4P's and UE5c's are a very different animal (never heard UE-10's). The UE5c's are musical with lots of bass, but I have really grown out of them while using them direct from my H140 as they seem sadly underdetailed without the use of a lineout and amp (and the bass lacks some punch IMO). Part of that is due to the nature of the H140 headphone out, but part is due to the fact that they are just less detailed than my other headphones. My UE5c's have become a utility type headphone when I absolutely must have isolation.

"The UE-5c's seem to be more "musical" than the etys - is the analytical side as good/better than the ER4P's? (I do love the analytical side - but love the musicality just as much)"

See above.

Good luck. Remember that if you get headphones, you can sell and recover most of your money....so try threm first. With the custom canalphones, you're stuck with what you got. If you're determined to get IEM's, consider trying the E500 first, as I feel they sound very similar to UE5c's with some slight improvments.

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks Wolfen,

I was wondering one thing, did you mean the E500's have the slight improvements over the UE5's - or the other way around? Price wise they are close - at least here in Australia - $500 to $600 for either, but as you said, I can get my $ back on the E500's. Do the E500's work well with amping? Or are they pretty much as good as it comes straight from the source?

Would the RS1 be my best bet for the combination I am chasing or should I be at least entertaining other full sized headphones? I have not heard many, so any other suggestions/comments from others who like the analytical and the musical combination would be great?

Thanks for the welcomes!

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 7
Of the three I would have a bias toward the UE-10s. Looking at your location it would appear that you travel and this would be your best companion of the three while on a plane I would think.

Welcome aboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back