ER4p vs HD595 vs A900
Mar 26, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #2 of 16
In a quiet environment the ER4p simply cannot compete. I would say "technically" the HD595 is a little better than the A900 (even unamped), but they're very close. The biggest difference between them is in flavour--the HD595 is warm and a little on the bassy side, while the A900 sounds more Ety like--a little bright (but with excellent bass). With low ambient noise that the A900 can mask it is the best choice, and in extremely noisy environments the ER4p is best.

jesse

Mar 26, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 16
People say 595s are forward sounding. Are they more forward than the a900s? What about the midrange? I enjoy big and clear vocals. With the bass, I want it to be coherent with the rest of the range and fast but not thin.

Mar 26, 2005 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 16
The HD595 has a nicely forward sound, actually. It certainly has the clarity and the 'big' midrange, in that vocals sound full bodied (no thinness), and close-in but not exaggerately so.
The bass is the monitor-like bass -- the terms you used fit it like a glove, I think.

Interestingly, the HD595's midrange forwardness and body can make it feel preferable to that of the HD650, though the latter's refinement is still superior.

Mar 26, 2005 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 16
The HD595 are certainly not more forward sounding than the A900, they're about the same, A900 maybe a little more forward. I'll have all three headphones again to compare side by side in a couple days, I'll post some impressions.

jesse

Mar 26, 2005 at 10:10 AM Post #6 of 16
I'm using 595s right now. I am new to the world of headphones, but I have really enjoyed the 595s since I got them last month. I'm expecting 650s, ER4Ps and Shure E5cs and E3cs Monday. I got the 650s b/c I love the 595s and the ER4Ps, E5cs and E3cs b/c a) I'm not leaving home with a pair of cans on my head, and b) I need better plugs (than the Fontopias I am using ) to listen to Apple Lossless files on my Ipod. I'll give you my newbie impressions once I get a chance to run them through my various sources on Monday.

Mar 26, 2005 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I am new to the world of headphones, but I have really enjoyed the 595s since I got them last month. I'm expecting 650s, ER4Ps and Shure E5cs and E3cs Monday.

Sheesh! New to headphones, eh? For a novice you sure are building up that collection of gear quite quickly...not to mention going straight to the top and not bothering with less expensive equipment, LOL!

Are you going to sell or keep the HD 595 once you get the 650? And why did you buy the E5c along with the E3c, again? I'm kind of confused on that part.
confused.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 16
I'm currently using the HD595 out of my portable CDP. Which has 9mW / 32ohm per channel. Sounds great! I didn't think that my PCDP was capable of such a clean, even refined sound.

Mar 26, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 16
Very clean, only a tad 'light'. Just a tad. But then it's one of the weaknesses of most portable CDPs, due to the comparatively weak power supply and the 'power saving' circuitry.

Mar 27, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Sheesh! New to headphones, eh? For a novice you sure are building up that collection of gear quite quickly...not to mention going straight to the top and not bothering with less expensive equipment, LOL!

Are you going to sell or keep the HD 595 once you get the 650? And why did you buy the E5c along with the E3c, again? I'm kind of confused on that part.
confused.gif

Once I get interested in something, I usually ramp up pretty quickly. I fell into headphone listening when my friend gave me an Ipod shuffle a month ago and have been picking up gear on a pretty good pace.

I'm keeping the 595s. I just want a variety of sets to create different listening experiences. I'm eying the Beyerdynamics and Sonys right now. I ordered E5c to compare them to the E4Ps. I ordered the E3c b/c I went a "beater" set to keep in my golf bag. I can easily see heaphones getting ripped apart during a golf swing.

My next task is to educate myself on headphone amps. The headphone jack in my B&K 507 sounds great, but I decided to start with a Total Bithead for my laptop/Ipod listening and a Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3 for an entry into tube amps.

The bottom line though, is that I love music and am ecstatic that I stumbled into the world of headphones.

Mar 27, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Once I get interested in something, I usually ramp up pretty quickly. I fell into headphone listening when my friend gave me an Ipod shuffle a month ago and have been picking up gear on a pretty good pace.

I'm keeping the 595s. I just want a variety of sets to create different listening experiences. I'm eying the Beyerdynamics and Sonys right now. I ordered E5c to compare them to the E4Ps. I ordered the E3c b/c I went a "beater" set to keep in my golf bag. I can easily see heaphones getting ripped apart during a golf swing.

My next task is to educate myself on headphone amps. The headphone jack in my B&K 507 sounds great, but I decided to start with a Total Bithead for my laptop/Ipod listening and a Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3 for an entry into tube amps.

The bottom line though, is that I love music and am ecstatic that I stumbled into the world of headphones.

Ah, I see. Well you're certainly off to a good start as far as the gear is concerned. I wish you the best of luck on your journey to audio nirvana!

FWIW, if you end up preferring the sound of the ER-4P to that of the E5c, you might consider getting the ER-6 or ER-6i as your beater set instead of the E3c. The ER-6 can usually be found for $100 or less and will probably sound closer to the ER-4P than the E3c will. Of course, if you end up preferring the sound of the E5c, the E3c should be great for you.

Don't make the mistake that many people do and get too caught up in the equipment and upgrade madness -- remember to sit back and enjoy the music!
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #14 of 16
Does anyone here own the 3 headphones i mentioned? any comments on the a900 or the er4p directly connected to a portable? Which ones sound louder, better, etc...

Mar 27, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #15 of 16
Well, I own the Ety ER-4Ps and the Senn 595s. I also own the Supermacro amp with the ER-4P to ER-4S adaptor. I tend to listen to my earphones with the amp.

I use the ER-4Ps for portable use. They are outstanding for isolating sound when commuting or working out on my treadmill. They sound great with or without the amp when used with my 3rd generation iPod.

I enjoy listening to the Senn 595s around the house. They are very comfortable. The benefit more from the amp than the Etys. The bass also sounds better on the Senns.

Overall, I am pleased with both products. Each serves its own purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back