ER4P or SF.5 pro's for prog. metal( Dream theater)
Jun 21, 2007 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Noodleday

New Head-Fier
I can't decide between er4p and SF.5 pro's I listen mostly to Dream theater. So i need good mid-range for the guitar. It must be clear to hear the instruments., but still solid.

Normally i would pick er4p but i'm worried about the sound being to sharp or thin. And is the SF.5 pro's bass too strong that it'll hide the rest of the details?
confused.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodleday /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, which one is more easy to the ears?

Yes, with metal ER4P would hurt the ears and be to sharp. SFP would be a better choice and the bass does not drown out the high-end detail. It is a pretty easy fit because they just kind of rest in the ear (no deep insertion) but if you are moving around they can dislodge a little every few minutes and you could feel the need to keep adjusting them. But this varies from person to person.

Have you thought about Shure E4? If you were worried about too much bass and want to play it safer E4 could be a better bet. The highs are slightly rolled off and it has a warmer sound which would be less fatiguing and maybe easier in the ears with metal music. E4 not as exciting but more controlled and refined sounding. It's a trade-off.

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodleday /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the reply, but is the e4 more accurate than the ue?

Yes, E4 would definitely be more accurate but despite that many think SFP has a larger funner sound. A more accurate and flatter response can come across as a little boring for some.

Jun 21, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 22
I think the ER4s (not E4s, they're different) would sound good with Dream Theatre. I think the ER4s have really great mids, and I don't find their treble overwhelming. My vote is for the ER4P.

Jun 21, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 22
What player will you be using? If it has a good eq, then the er4 would better fit the bill. Personally I use the Shure SE310 and DreamTheater sounds very nice indeed.

Have you got there new album yet? Pretty good stuff...

Ply

Jun 21, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 22
Have you considered Futuresonics Atrio M5? It is cheaper, easily driveable, phenomenal bass, no need for an amp...

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #9 of 22
Unfortunately, I've not heard other recent IEMs. But, as a major DT/LTE fan, I very much enjoy the ER4P/S (P when going un-amped, S when amped...SuperMini). To my ears, the sound is fabulous!! The level of detail these headphones provide allows you to hear EVERYTHING that's going on in the music (and with Dream Theater, there can be a whole bunch going on at one time!). To my ears, it's not harsh at all. Would describe the sound as "crisp".

Unfortunately, the only real way to find out which headphone YOU prefer is to try them both (or the M5 or Shures or whatever). Is there a meet taking place anywhere near you where you might be able to try out some different options? If not, order from Headroom or other vendor that provides some time for you to try the different headphone options and then send them back if they aren't right for you.

Good luck!
Bruce

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BDA_ABAT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, I've not heard other recent IEMs. But, as a major DT/LTE fan, I very much enjoy the ER4P/S (P when going un-amped, S when amped...SuperMini). To my ears, the sound is fabulous!! The level of detail these headphones provide allows you to hear EVERYTHING that's going on in the music (and with Dream Theater, there can be a whole bunch going on at one time!). To my ears, it's not harsh at all. Would describe the sound as "crisp".

Unfortunately, the only real way to find out which headphone YOU prefer is to try them both (or the M5 or Shures or whatever). Is there a meet taking place anywhere near you where you might be able to try out some different options? If not, order from Headroom or other vendor that provides some time for you to try the different headphone options and then send them back if they aren't right for you.

Good luck!
Bruce

QFT...
wink.gif

Ply

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, with metal ER4P would hurt the ears and be to sharp. SFP would be a better choice and the bass does not drown out the high-end detail. It is a pretty easy fit because they just kind of rest in the ear (no deep insertion) but if you are moving around they can dislodge a little every few minutes and you could feel the need to keep adjusting them. But this varies from person to person.

i find that amped er-4s doesn't sound a bit sharp. ue5 does drown out a lot of high end detail (nevertheless maybe not the detail u care for)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, E4 would definitely be more accurate but despite that many think SFP has a larger funner sound. A more accurate and flatter response can come across as a little boring for some.

i really don't know why people describe coloured as fun and accurate as boring

Quote:

Originally Posted by plywood99
QFT...

yes and er-4 separates them precisely

Jun 22, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #13 of 22
thanks for all the opinion guys. first i thought maybe i should go for the sfp. but when i see some fellow DT fan say that er4p is great for DT, i'm getting confused.
90% of the time i listen to DT or similar stuff. Indeed i could make a dicission right away if i could try them out.But it's hard for me to find a place to let me try them all at the same time. So is there any dreamtheater fan that thinks sfp is the one for DT? Or better has anyone been in my exact situation and had the opportunity to compare sfp er4 and e4?

p.s. yes i've heard the new album, and i can say they've never dissapointed me with their music. i live in Belgium and i'm going to see them live for the first time this fall!!

Jun 23, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #14 of 22
I'm still hesitating between er4p and ue5. I really like the accuracy on er4p and the good mid-range. But i don't want those come with pain in the ear. But then again, a strong bass of ue5 might also cause ear damage right?
If some1 can say for sure that er4p doesn't annoy the ears and that the sound can still be solid(not large) and not sharp, i will definitly go for it.

Jun 23, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #15 of 22
the reason why people say ue5's are more comfortable is because the unit lodges in the bowl of the ear while with ety's, they stick straight out of the ear, so they aren't comfortable when sleeping. the tips for the things to go into the ear canal are interchangeable and u'll find one that's comfortable for u

Users who are viewing this thread

Back