ER4P First Impressions
Nov 15, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
Going from what I've heard (which is other people talking about what they heard from Etymotic), it is not pressure from outside which cracks the transducer tube, but rather, pressure from within, exerted by the filters, which apparently are not always at the exact correct size.

eek.gif
That is slightly worrying.

Nov 15, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #19 of 42
hmmm... looks like they seriously improved the carrying pouch since i bought mine. maybe i should look into buying a replacement.

Nov 15, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
cool, new pouch!

jinx, buy me a coke.

Nov 15, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #22 of 42
I LOVE THESE HEADPHONES, TOO. They were my first audiohile headphones and the $135 I paid for them used was a STEAL!! Of course I didn't know they were $330 untill about a month later. I have to way that these are the best $150 used cans you can buy. You can barely buy a SR225 for that price. My grados SR-80s were only $50 less used and I have to say that this hands down trumps them. Now you want to see the best part of these cans, then take a plane trip. THEY ARE GREAT. You hear literally nothing. I even swear that my ears don't pop as much with them in. Don't know why but it mkaes my plane trip a whole lot easier. But of course, that is when sound is being produced, so you either need to hide your ipod of use the airplane music.

Definetly great set of headphones!!

Nov 15, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #23 of 42
Your ER4s may be cracked without you even noticing. When people say cracked they don't mean there's a big obvious jag in them - you can only see it in very good light and you sometimes need some kind of magnification. What I haven't heard yet is anyone explain why it's so awful if they crack. It doesn't seem to reduce the sound quality at all, so I figure, what the hell.

Nov 16, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
[....] When people say cracked they don't mean there's a big obvious jag in them - you can only see it in very good light and you sometimes need some kind of magnification.[....]

Not true in my case, almost half of the tube around the filter is gone. Only the part where the filter sits is harmed, the rest seems to be ok.

Marcus

Nov 16, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #25 of 42
They are sounding much better than ever. I am going to get a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5Pro tomorrow. My goodness, Head-fi is really dragging my wallet down! Oh well. I was warned.
icon10.gif

But until then, here are more pictures
dsc2539800x6009ao.jpg

er4p2800x6003de.jpg

I will post impressions and a comparison when I get the UE and Etys together!

Nov 16, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #26 of 42
I wonder if the green/blue/whatever plastic 'connection tube' at the end of the Y is paintable. I really hate that color. Any body have any ideas as to what kind of paint would work? I really hate that color.

Nov 16, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #27 of 42
I agree. The green split does look a bit...retro?...ugly? However, I LOVE the blue and red colour scheme. It's just so unique!

After about 30 hours of break-in, the difference between the ER6i and the ER4P are almost immediately apparent after a quick A/B. I used a very well recorded, but lesser known recording of Schubert Octet played by the Camerata Freden Octet. The ER6i is much less refined, having a slightly muddier sound, a slightly stronger but less articulate bass and also less detailed highs. With the ER4P, you can feel the clarinetist make a 'fff' sound when he blows into it. Also, the violinist's violin is has a woodier, warmer and more articulate sound. The highs of the ER4P are definitely shriller and more pronounced, but never fatiguing. Instrument imaging is actually quite good. The separation of instruments is clear cut and when all the instruments play at the same time, you're greeted by a warm rush of sound that makes you feel nice and warm. The ER4P is sooo detailed that you can even hear the clarinetist's clicks as he presses the metal "keys" on his clarinet! Now THAT is detail! The breathing of the players weren't apparent on the ER6i, but with the ER4P, you can begin to hear the breathing of the wind and brass players! This is an incredibly wonderful experience. Overall, at 30hrs, the ER4P has a much more matured, detailed and warm sound than the relatively boomy (througout all the frequencies) and muddy sound. Note the word "relatively" because the ER6i are in no way muddy!

I am now listening to Beethoven's 9th Symphony and the brashness of the French horns are realistically reproduced, so are the tremelos in the violins. Since the recording is a live one, the movements of the audience can also be heard more clearly than on the ER4P than on the ER6i.

One word: breathtaking.

Nov 16, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
They are sounding much better than ever. I am going to get a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5Pro tomorrow. My goodness, Head-fi is really dragging my wallet down! Oh well. I was warned.
icon10.gif

i won't ask why you're getting the UEs, but i'll be interested to hear your comparisons.

Quote:

dsc2539800x6009ao.jpg

ummmm... no shirt clip? are you looping them over your ear or just letting them hang? i'm telling you, the clip makes a big difference with comfort and microphonics.

Nov 16, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #29 of 42
Actually I do use the shirt clip. I took it off for picture purposes.
Here are some more pictures. Note that the HD555 feels neglected in the back ground.
icon10.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #30 of 42
ER4 is worth every penny... hehe

specially with Xin amp with bass boost and P-S switch. it fills that little lack of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back