ER4P, ER61, E3C???
Sep 18, 2004 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

balger

New Head-Fier
I am trying to decide on a new pair of headphones and am looking for some advice.

I use an iPod with a pair of Sony MDR-EX71SL's now and spend a lot of time traveling on airplanes. I listen to mostly rock, pop, rap and some jazz.

Etymotic ER4P's, Etymotic ER61's or Shure E3C's?

I don't mind spending the money as long as I get the best headphones for the price. I am leaning toward the 4P's but just don't know?

Thanks in advance!

Sep 18, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 27
From your music tastes, I would say that the Shure E2C/E3Cs will fit you better simply due to their general sound signatures. I have not heard the Etymotic 6i's so I cannot recommend against it, but some users have comments on this board that they do not handle certain types of music (similar to yours) as well as they would have liked.

Sep 18, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 27
I just returned my e3c. I thing the highs rolled off too much and midrange is so overpowered. If you have 71sl, you will get a completely different sound signature with e3c. The bass is tight and well controlled than the 71sl though much weaker. Midrange is predominant which is opposite from 71sl. The highs are rolled of and not harsh like 71sl. I have not heard the 6i so I cant comment on that, some people say it also have rolled off highs so I think I'm going to get a 4p for myself.

Sep 18, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 27
For Jazz, the Ety 4p would be alright. Pop may be acceptable. For rock and rap, the 4p just simply doesn't have the bass response to make it sound alive in any way. (now rush in, Ety defense team!)
Shure E3/c doesn't sound all too good with Jazz. Rock will also probably be lacking. Rap and Pop on the other hand will probably sound decent.
The 6i I haven't heard, so I can't comment on it.

Sep 18, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 27
Because its midrange is more prominant than its bass, which in turn is (quite a bit) more prominent than the treble. I'm generalizing quite a bit here, but for rock (IMO), the bass, and in some cases the treble, should be at least on equal ground with the midrange. This obviously my own personal preference.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 27
let's not head in this direction...

flat responses are inherently more desireable, because everything will be equally audible. if the treble is louder than the bass, then to get a lot of bass you will have to make things loud, then the treble gets too loud. this is an example of why a flat response is always preferable, at least from an audiophile point of view. if you wanna talk about super loud ghetto bass, then maybe you'd want a boosted bass, but that's another story.

the e3's definitely do NOT have a flat response and i know of nobody who thinks so. it does not mean that some people do not enjoy the e3's, but they certainly do not have a flat response.

the e5's have a very flat response.

i think the etys have a bit of a treble heavy response, but they are still much flatter than the e3's.

Sep 18, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 27
lol there is no need to worry, I have never felt the need to defend a purchase or brand -- I was genuinely curious because I personally don't listen to all that much rock, so I was wondering what kind of factors bring out the best in rock music, just as a reference =)

Sep 18, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 27
Actually, I'd prefer a bit of boosted bass myself when listening to rock.
tongue.gif

The E5 response is flat?
eek.gif
I always thought it was bass-oriented.

Sep 18, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #11 of 27
The E5's response is severely rolled-off on the high end. Not that graphs mean much, but headroom's charts are pretty clear in that regard.

I'd agree that Etys don't exactly rule the world for hip-hop - especially older, more poorly produced stuff.

For rock, I disagree - they're fantastic. (Defense team ready!)

Sep 18, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 27
Well, Etys may be good for rock depending on how you want your music to sound.
tongue.gif

The basic idea here is that there isn't a single pair of IEMs that are good for any genre of music until you get up into the Sensa/UE level.

Sep 18, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 27
I don't hold that roundup in very high regard though
tongue.gif

balger says he/she listens to "mostly rock, pop, rap and some jazz" so don't you guys think the ER-4 would be a poor choice here? Seeing that most of the weight lies in rock, pop and rap...

Sep 18, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
I don't hold that roundup in very high regard though
tongue.gif

balger says he/she listens to "mostly rock, pop, rap and some jazz" so don't you guys think the ER-4 would be a poor choice here? Seeing that most of the weight lies in rock, pop and rap...

I don't hold those reviews in high regard either, especially since the reviewer thinks the differences between the E2 and E3 are mostly cosmetic. Talk about tin ears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back