ER4P + ER4P-24 + 75Ω
Apr 21, 2005 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

crypt@

100+ Head-Fier
Just thought to take this comment and this one one step further by imploring team etys (in particular ER4) to get some 75Ω resistors and fashion another plug (or grab yourself a 2nd ER4P-24) to hear just how well balanced the ER4S (or ER4P + ER4P-24) becomes!!
etysmile.gif

Apr 22, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 10
I have the ety cable and a Xin 75 ohm adapter coming, also an amp.

I will try it. I doubt few people have two 75 ohm connectors laying around.

Interesting post, though.

Apr 22, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 10
I would like to pose a question regarding the accessory Etymotic ER4P-24 cable. I have logged well over 300 hundred hours with the Etymotic ER•4P headphones and have yet to fully embrace the sound signature of the product. I seemingly find the earphones quite insipid and ordinary. As such, I would like to inquire if the ER4P-24 cable will serve to further intensify this aspect or will it improve my experience?

Apr 22, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDesign
I would like to pose a question regarding the accessory Etymotic ER4P-24 cable. I have logged well over 300 hundred hours with the Etymotic ER•4P headphones and have yet to fully embrace the sound signature of the product. I seemingly find the earphones quite insipid and ordinary.

Perhaps because you are coming from a very good headphone? I was a little disappointed myself but they get almost universal acclaim, aside from the bass. I think I have come to appreciate the sound more and am hoping an amp will bring out even more latent quality.

Quote:

As such, I would like to inquire if the ER4P-24 cable will serve to further intensify this aspect or will it improve my experience?

Most people say the cable with an amp is better. Cable without an amp - close to the same quality (but different). Some like it cabled (with no amp) better than not cabled (with no amp).

Myself - I find the bass a little better without the cable and am waiting for an amp in the mail.

Sorry, I can't say much more than that.

Apr 22, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

... find the earphones quite insipid and ordinary...

That is rather unusual!
blink.gif
Comments from those who don't enjoy etys tend to critique them as being overly bearing high and subdued in bass.

May I inquire as to what other cans you are comparing the etys with?

If you do not find the etys to be favouring the higher frequency range, then I think adding the ER4P-24 may actually gives an even "duller" impression.

Apr 22, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 10
I know your question is not directed toward me, but at first I found the etys a little lacking in ambience - the decay of notes or the richocheting of notes around the headphone.

After a while I got used to them, but haven't used them for 200 hours quite yet.

I compared them to blu-tacked Senn HD280s. Both deliver good high end. The etys are more detailed. The Senns give more bass oomph.

(Yes, I said the Senn 280s - known for a lack of bass - give more bass impact!! - Modded).

Apr 22, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 10
Thank you for your responses on the subject. I have remained surprisingly indifferent to the Etymotic Research earphones. To review the product, I have used a selection of recordings that I a familiar with and also have used a range of reference classical and jazz genre sound recordings. While I find the earphones to be quite detailed in a specific range of frequencies, in a general sense I dont find their presentation as complete as I tend to desire. In certain recordings, lower frequencies (bass impact/ slam) seems to be inadequate and the result is that the total presentation in my view is thus quite insipid. I should note that I am not using the Eytmotic Research earphones with an amplifier or the ER4P-24 cable. If either or both of these is a solution, then I would welcome suggestions on an amplifier that is well matched to both Etymotic Research and Grado Labs headphones. I also have not specified any source information as it ranges from an Apple iPod, PowerBook G4, or equipment in my home or work place. In returning to the original threat topic, will the ER4P-24 cable provide the results I am seeking?

Apr 22, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 10
There are many people in this forum pairing their Ety 4 with an amplifier and the SM V3 is of those frequently mentioned. If you opt for the 4 switches option, the bass boost will provide a lift to the lower freq and you won't need to purchase a 4P -> 4S cable as the 75ohm impedance is one of those option.

Apr 22, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

... lower frequencies (bass impact/ slam) seems to be inadequate and the result is that the total presentation in my view is thus quite insipid...

I'm sure there is a simple mathematic equation to explain how resistance affects different frequencies of similar db differently. I expect it will be in the line of substitution between Hz, amps, ohms and volts. It will be an interesting exercise to work out....

In any case, the cable will attenuate the mid and upper frequencies more than it will to the lower frequencies. Subsequently the frequency/db plot becomes more level. Bass will appear more prominent. The caveat is the overall volume will be much lower. I.e. You will need to crank that dial to get the volume back to what it was before adding the cable.

And in this case, ER4P + ER4P-24 = 100ohms, the extra 75ohms from SM-3 brings the total to 175ohms.

Here enters the amp.
etysmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonTheMan
There are many people in this forum pairing their Ety 4 with an amplifier and the SM V3 is of those frequently mentioned. If you opt for the 4 switches option, the bass boost will provide a lift to the lower freq and you won't need to purchase a 4P -> 4S cable as the 75ohm impedance is one of those option.

But that IS the point: cable plus "impedance on." Etys changes its sonic character, and I feel, to better. Everything becomes really balance. The bass boost does a good job, but I find at times it can get to be overwhelming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back