ER4P: Boring sound?
Sep 28, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #16 of 30
Well... I have all my files ripped from CD @ 320K (can't really tell the diff from lossless... or I should say, just not yet).

Hm...after all the replies, maybe I should keep looking for ER4S.. not P.

I will have Cowon i7 in a month, so I could use some EQ and ER4S.

catscratch, I'm amazed by the depth and detail of your explanation... fortunately(?) I won't be able to afford to reach your level.

Sep 28, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #17 of 30
Yes, maybe he doesn't have a good seal but I think it is more likely that he just doesn't like the sound signature. He has an OK source and a good amp, so you can't blame those really.

E500s might be your cup of tea.

Sep 28, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #18 of 30
the echoey warehouse sound with no bass really sounds like you didn't have a good seal. it was the same way i felt about them on first try until i was told that i had to really jam them in my ears to get a good seal.

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkpaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well... I was listening from from iPod via Corda Move... but it was still boring...
Maybe my ears aren't trained properly?

This may be a silly question, but are you using a line out?

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #20 of 30
Did you let them warm up? ETY's definitely need warming up. IEM's need 15 minutes or so to get up to their sound? My UM-1's sound dull until then. The Livewires sound a little too bright before they warm up. Try the ETY's with a Portaphile. That is a good match for a portable solution. With the Lisa III they ROCK!

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a pr based on posts that claimed the ER4Ps had a sparkling sound similar to grados. I hope they are not boring.

I think you'll be very happy with them. I just spent 90 minutes with my ER4P & MuVo at the gym and it was excellent as usual. I've been listening to my 325i a lot recently and they do have similar qualities.

I would never refer to the ER4 as boring, accurate yes...accurate is what it be
etysmile.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you let them warm up? ETY's definitely need warming up. IEM's need 15 minutes or so to get up to their sound?...

I definitely feel that the ER4S needs a warm-up period too! I thought it was strange that ~20-30 minutes into the etys I'd get more bass and accuracy.

I love these Etys.

Sep 28, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkpaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounded like it was being played in a big warehouse with echo cancellation. No bass. colored highs.

I too find this an unusual description of the ER-4P sound. I am definitely not saying everyone should like them just because I do, but esp. with a good recording like Eric Clapton they should not sound like this. Since they are used, did you check the filters? They might need replacing.

I agree that if you play from an iPod, EQ-ing brings a little more 'fun' in the 4P's. I also rip all my CD's to 320kbps. I have MP3Gain-ed all my 40Gbs of music to 89dB and now can use the Rock or Accoustic setting on my iPods without distortion.

I bought the iBasso T2 mainly because the form factor is a perfect match for the Nano's. Its probably not a great amp but it adds volume (in Europe these things don't play very loud) and also some muscle. It has a bass boost which you might also like. I am a senior citizen (well, 47 yrs) and surely not a basshead. I bought a JBL-220 for my youngest son to listen to hip-hop and jumpstyle. He loves them, I can not listen to them for very long.

But again, check the filters, the Ety's should not sound so dull as you describe. Or maybe you shop in warehouses with incredible sound systems!

BR, Rob

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #28 of 30
i find that though they lack a bass push, they are the best iems when it comes to electronic and trance. i think for acoustic music or rock they would be brutal.

if there is any emotion in the music that comes from analogue weapons, they are not a favourite of mine. but for sterile sounds, they rock for trance if a bit shallow on the bass side.

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #29 of 30
First off all, make sure that the filters are OK.

Then, you can EQ to make them 'friskyer'. A little boost in the bass around 100 Hz and lowering around 3K will be fine.

And remember, not all songs (or years) fit in the same sound signature.

For example, tunes recorded until 1990's sound more aggressive in terms of mid-highs, because of the mastering methods oriented to record in vinyl or tape. This tunes compared with the new one, needs -hands down- some EQ in the Etys. Kind of more bass and soften the mids.

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everybody claims if there is no bass there is no seal but i think people are not as stupid as you make out, you have to consider what hes comparing them to that explains why there is no bass

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back